Self-Driving Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    How long before ordinary people driving are able to learn to deal with the chaos? TIA
    look_a_squirrel.jpg
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
      This is the present.

Tesla stopped selling its full self-driving feature as an add-on option for new buyers on Thursday.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• And for every one of these, how many comparable accidents are there with real people behind the steering wheel?

Comment

• Two years ago today.

Yes, this is a new platform, although we’ve been spending more than a year in testing, the feature-set initially will be disabled say well at least for the first few months.

[...]

It will be Hardware 2.0 is capable of Level 5 autonomy, the hardware is capable of highest level of autonomy and Hardware 1.0 will continue to improve as we improve the software tat operates the car I mean with already with 7.0 it was unequivocally safer than manually driven cars and with 8.0 that has improved even more. So it would be crazy to turn-off something that is preventing accidents.
          It amazes me people ever took this seriously. Two years later Tesla quietly surrenders.

Comment

• Not sure if this belongs in the self-driving cars thread, but since we don't have an electric cars thread, here it is:

From CNBC
            The wait is almost over, even if no one knows what we're waiting for.

Electric carmaker Tesla suspended all orders on its website and redirected users to a page teasing a mystery announcement CEO Elon Musk said is coming at 5 p.m. ET Thursday.

Users who attempt to go to any of the company's ordering pages are redirected to a site that says: "The wait is almost over. Great things are launching at 2pm."

Whatever Tesla will launch is still a mystery. Investors have been expecting updates on several fronts, including the arrival of Tesla's long-promised $35,000 Model 3, a version of the sedan Tesla has been promising since it unveiled the car in 2016.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/tesl...s-website.html
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...car-looks-like

Auto sales in the U.S., after four record or near-record years, are declining this year, and analysts say they may never again reach those heights. Worldwide, residents are migrating to megacities—expected to be home to two-thirds of the global population by midcentury—where an automobile can be an expensive inconvenience. Young people continue to turn away from cars, with only 26 percent of U.S. 16-year-olds earning a driver’s license in 2017, a rite of passage that almost half that cohort would have obtained just 36 years ago, according to Sivak Applied Research. Likewise, the annual number of 17-year-olds taking driving tests in the U.K. has fallen 28 percent in the past decade.

Meanwhile, mobility services are multiplying rapidly, with everything from electric scooters to robo-taxis trying to establish a foothold in the market.

Comment

• ... Young people continue to turn away from cars, with only 26 percent of U.S. 16-year-olds earning a driver’s license in 2017, a rite of passage that almost half that cohort would have obtained just 36 years ago, according to Sivak Applied Research. Likewise, the annual number of 17-year-olds taking driving tests in the U.K. has fallen 28 percent in the past decade...
                I've seen that the foregoing is true, but I still find it astonishing. I'm curious what the percentage was in the late 60's, because going to the DMV the morning of one's sixteenth birthday seemed the standard protocol.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  I've seen that the foregoing is true, but I still find it astonishing. I'm curious what the percentage was in the late 60's, because going to the DMV the morning of one's sixteenth birthday seemed the standard protocol.
                  I am 2 for 2 on kids going down to the DMV on their 16th birthday. I was at a transportation conference this week and the discussion was on the changing landscape and where they want it to go. We can't build enough lanes to cancel out the traffic. They really want more ride sharing, transit, walking and biking.

I can see being in an urban area and never needing to own a car. That is the mind set of many in their 20s is that they will pay less than a car payment using Uber and transit and micro mobility(scooters/bikes). Then rent a limo if you need to drive to Tahoe and you will still end up paying less throughout the year than you would have on gas, insurance...

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    I am 2 for 2 on kids going down to the DMV on their 16th birthday. I was at a transportation conference this week and the discussion was on the changing landscape and where they want it to go. We can't build enough lanes to cancel out the traffic. They really want more ride sharing, transit, walking and biking.

I can see being in an urban area and never needing to own a car. That is the mind set of many in their 20s is that they will pay less than a car payment using Uber and transit and micro mobility(scooters/bikes). Then rent a limo if you need to drive to Tahoe and you will still end up paying less throughout the year than you would have on gas, insurance...
                    They are wrong. They will pay much more when you factor in taxes to support alternate modes and they will have much less overall freedom of movement (better within cities but difficult and expensive to leave). But hey as long as the robots dont kill my career all this is job security for me so bring on the American megacity!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      They are wrong. They will pay much more when you factor in taxes to support alternate modes and they will have much less overall freedom of movement (better within cities but difficult and expensive to leave). But hey as long as the robots dont kill my career all this is job security for me so bring on the American megacity!

I don't think it's just cost. Many of the options listed can be much more convenient in a city. It just depends on the city.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

agreed, there are maybe 4 cities in the u.s. that are livable without a car.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

My oldest 2 also got drivers’ licenses on their 16th birthdays but it is definitely becoming more common for kids to wait until 17 or 18 to start driving in Utah.

I think most of the phenomenon is that parents are happy to drive kids around and a little bit is bike lanes, Uber and scooters, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            pssst robots are already flying our planes
                            Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                            Yeah, is this news?
                            Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            People (en masse) won't ever fly in a airplane without a pilot for that precise reason... shit happens. Air traffic is about as closed a system as you can find, but still there is an amount of unpredictability that requires immediate human intervention. Yet, here (and elsewhere) you stumble across these rosy (and completely idiotic) predictions of eliminating the automobile driver in the complex, dynamic, and erratic public transportation system that includes motorized, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic.
                            How many of you armchair software developers are checking your upcoming flights to see if it is booked on a 737 Max? Just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              How many of you armchair software developers are checking your upcoming flights to see if it is booked on a 737 Max? Just curious.
                              Pretty crazy and scary that in 2019 a bad sensor and auto-pilot would fly two planes into the ground.

Maybe you’re right about self-driving cars being a long way off. I’m starting to believe you.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                Pretty crazy and scary that in 2019 a bad sensor and auto-pilot would fly two planes into the ground.

Maybe you’re right about self-driving cars being a long way off. I’m starting to believe you.
                                I thought WS said they will never happen.

I did check my flight, more out of fear that I would have to reschedule. My brother's vacation to Hawaii had to rebook and his ititerary sucks now.

I would have had no problem flying the 737 max 8 or 9 if I really needed to get somewhere. Statistically I'm pretty sure my drive home has a higher risk of death. Just the same, it was the right thing to do to ground them and get this glitch fixed.
                                Last edited by beefytee; 03-18-2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X