Mulching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulching

I just took my spindly 50 y/o azaleas down to knee-high level in front of my house. They call this "radical rejuvenation" and I know that it'll be good in a couple of years. In the meantime, I've got two spaces, one is 29' x 7' and the other is 25'x 7' that I need to cover with landscaping fabric and mulch....otherwise, I'll have about 700-800 oak sapling, 3000 phlox sprouts, and a host of briars, mock oranges, privets, and magnolias coming up in the beds in front of the house. Since I'll have to buy mulch, and I've never had to cover fabric with mulch before, I'm wondering how deep I'll need to go with it to block out the sun. Without fabric, I've heard it's a least 5", which would be a fortune in mulch. But, the guy at Lowe's told me an inch, but that doesn't seem sufficient.

Anyone have any pointers?

A bag of cypress mulch is 2 cu. ft for $2.25 + tax here. I reckon, at two inches deep, I should need about 36-40 bags. This calculator says 32: http://www.landscapecalculator.com/calculators/mulch
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I just took my spindly 50 y/o azaleas down to knee-high level in front of my house. They call this "radical rejuvenation" and I know that it'll be good in a couple of years. In the meantime, I've got two spaces, one is 29' x 7' and the other is 25'x 7' that I need to cover with landscaping fabric and mulch....otherwise, I'll have about 700-800 oak sapling, 3000 phlox sprouts, and a host of briars, mock oranges, privets, and magnolias coming up in the beds in front of the house. Since I'll have to buy mulch, and I've never had to cover fabric with mulch before, I'm wondering how deep I'll need to go with it to block out the sun. Without fabric, I've heard it's a least 5", which would be a fortune in mulch. But, the guy at Lowe's told me an inch, but that doesn't seem sufficient.

Anyone have any pointers?

A bag of cypress mulch is 2 cu. ft for $2.25 + tax here. I reckon, at two inches deep, I should need about 36-40 bags. This calculator says 32: http://www.landscapecalculator.com/calculators/mulch
    I think the standard recommendation is at least two inches.

Do you care about it looking really good? If not, there may be a lot cheaper options. The landfill around here offers mulch for virtually free, if you're not super picky.

EDIT: Also...sterilizer. At least if you don't plan on growing anything there again.
    Last edited by ERCougar; 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

My neighbor swears by 4-6 inches. He never has weeds or tree sprouts so I believe him.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

I had a landscaping neighbor who told me 3 inches of mulch and that is without fabric. I'ts worked for us.

It might be cheaper to have a landscaping compnay just bring mulch to your house. They'll show up with a trailer full of it and you won't have to fiddle with bags.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I had a landscaping neighbor who told me 3 inches of mulch and that is without fabric. I'ts worked for us.

It might be cheaper to have a landscaping compnay just bring mulch to your house. They'll show up with a trailer full of it and you won't have to fiddle with bags.
          2-3 inches is what you want. I also second having a yard or two delivered. It would be well worth your time and money. Or if you know someone with a truck or trailor now would be a great time to call in a favor to pick it up and save on the delivery fee.

Also if you wanto go cheap on the fabric you can use newspaper. You will need to but down several layers and it won't last as long but if you are just looking for 2-3 years worth of no weeds it would work and save you money.

I have also know that down in georgia that pine needles are a cheap alternative for ceder mulch. I don't know if is the same in SC. When we first moved into our place we had a ward member with huge pine trees. I asked if I raked his yard could i have the pine needles? He was estatic to have the needles gone and I got some free mulch with little work. I almost filled up a truck bed with needles from his yard. It could be a good project for kids who are out of school for the summer. Just some ideas.

Also we just planted privets and phlox so I am jealous that you have it growing naturally.
          Last edited by Sullyute; 06-01-2013, 07:31 PM.
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post

Also we just planted privets and phlox so I am jealous that you have it growing naturally.
            Oops, not phlox, I meant smilax (greenbrier). It's a thorny vine that's impossible to kill. Privet is an invasive species here.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Check with your local sanitation department. If they are like the ones around here they will sell you the mulch for $5 to $15 for a pickup load. Some days they will just give it to you because they have too much of it.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'll ask around....in this small town, I'm not sure, but maybe a neighboring town does that.

Comment

I'll ask around....in this small town, I'm not sure, but maybe a neighboring town does that.
                  I can guarantee if you call a local landscaper you'll get a better deal than buying bags from Lowes. If you have a wheelbarrow and shovel you'll be fine if they dump it on your driveway....or I bet they'd even lay it down for cheap. One of the nice things about Houston is there is no lack of migrant workers that will do just about any yard work for cheap, and they do an excellent job.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    Check with your local sanitation department. If they are like the ones around here they will sell you the mulch for $5 to $15 for a pickup load. Some days they will just give it to you because they have too much of it.
                    I asked on facebook, and someone warned me of the dangers of bugs and termites. If I have a sentricon system in place, is that really a worry?

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    I can guarantee if you call a local landscaper you'll get a better deal than buying bags from Lowes. If you have a wheelbarrow and shovel you'll be fine if they dump it on your driveway....or I bet they'd even lay it down for cheap. One of the nice things about Houston is there is no lack of migrant workers that will do just about any yard work for cheap, and they do an excellent job.
                    The local landscapers here are mostly hung-over "retirees" who show up on bicycles and ask to use your tools. I will have to ask around for someone trusted, because I've been burned about five times.

Comment

I asked on facebook, and someone warned me of the dangers of bugs and termites. If I have a sentricon system in place, is that really a worry?
                      It hasn't been a problem for me. Of course, I have a testimony of the power of insecticide. The biggest problem is the garbage that gets in the chipper as well but the kids will pick that out for you for a few bucks or so.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                      X