Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
    Recipe?
    A bunch of great recipes and techniques from this site. This is one of my favorites. I also add a couple of jalapeño peppers, a couple of shallots and a red and green bell finely diced into mine. I use home made bacon lardons in mine. The cream cheese idea will take this from 11 to 12.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/o...nd_cheese.html
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Recipe?
      I use a variation of Meatheads from amazingribs.com

Yield. About 4 servings as a side dish, 2 as a main dish

Preparation time. 1 hour, cooking time 20 minutes.

4 ounces of a spiral or other noodle that will catch the cheese better than elbow mac

Optional Mix-ins

4 strips bacon
      1 small onion, chopped
      1 green jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeds removed, then minced
      2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped fine

Personally, I use the Bacon, onions and Garlic (Fresh).

The Cheese Sauce
      4 ounces cheese, shredded (smoked Gouda for me but I have used Gruyere, Pepper Jack, etc)
      2 tablespoons of butter
      2 tablespoons all purpose flour
      1 1/2 cups whole cream, you can use milk if you don't like to have a great mac and cheese
      1 teaspoon paprika
      1/2 teaspoon black pepper
      1/4 teaspoon salt

Method
      1) Preheat the oven to 400°F and put a 2 quart pot with 1 quart of water on a hot burner, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and crank it up. You'll need it boiling by the time you get to step 4.

2) Optional Mix-ins. Prep all your add ins.

3) The Cheese Sauce. In a 2 quart saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over a low heat. Add the flour, and, with a whisk, mix them together, and cook for 5 minutes, or until it turns the color of straw. This is called a blonde roux. Be patient if it takes longer. This takes the raw pasty flavor out of the flour and eliminates the grit. Add the milk slowly and whisk thoroughly while adding it, so there are no lumps. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently so it doesn't burn, until it bubbles and thickens a bit, like latex paint. This is called a béchamel sauce. Add the cheese mix, 1/3 at a time, and continue stirring until the cheese is melted and there are no lumps. Mix in the salt, black pepper, paprika, and the add-ins. Turn off the heat.

I've found that addding in 2-3 oz of cream cheese is great. I've also noticed his mac to cheese recipe is a little heavy. I will prep extra noodles JIC they are needed to balance out.

4) The Mac. Add the macaroni to the boiling water, and stir. When the water comes back up to a boil, turn the heat down a bit and boil until they are almost al dente, still noticeably crunchy, about 2/3 of the time recommended on the package, probably about 6 minutes from the time it begins to boil. Stir occasionally. Take them off when they are still just a bit chewy because it will cook some more in the oven. Drain in a colander shaking vigorously to get as much water out of the tubes as possible, and leave them in the colander in the sink until the cheese sauce is done. Pour the Mac into the cheese sauce and stir thoroughly.

5) Bake. If you used a 2 quart pan and the handle is oven safe, you can bake it right in the pan. Otherwise, pour the whole macaroni shebang into a 2 quart Pyrex or CorningWare baking dish. If you prefer, pour it into individual serving size oven proof dishes or ramekins. Sprinkle with the cheese topping and then the paprika. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until it begins burbling. Keep an eye on it so the top does not burn.

While it is cooking, I like to brown some Panko in butter and top the bake off with them. Add those and a little cheese for the last 5 minutes of the bake.

6) Rest. Let it cool for about 15 minutes so nobody's tongue is scalded. That cheese holds heat.

Comment

Traeger issues.

Wouldn't light up. Just a few wisps of smoke from the firepot. So I removed everything and cleaned it out. There was a bit of ash but not enough that is should have prevented it from lighting. Left everything out and it seems the hot rod isn't getting hot enough. It warms up enough to smoke a bit but not ignite. I can't see it glowing. Not only is the hot rod not functioning but the auger is cutting out after a few minutes. The temperature still displays but the auger and fan are not blowing. If I cycle the power or even turn the temperature knob to another setting it starts right back up for a few more minutes and then cuts out again.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Traeger issues.

Wouldn't light up. Just a few wisps of smoke from the firepot. So I removed everything and cleaned it out. There was a bit of ash but not enough that is should have prevented it from lighting. Left everything out and it seems the hot rod isn't getting hot enough. It warms up enough to smoke a bit but not ignite. I can't see it glowing. Not only is the hot rod not functioning but the auger is cutting out after a few minutes. The temperature still displays but the auger and fan are not blowing. If I cycle the power or even turn the temperature knob to another setting it starts right back up for a few more minutes and then cuts out again.

Is the fire pot actually getting pellets?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            Is the fire pot actually getting pellets?
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Suck

Comment

Can you still cook the ribs on a grill?
                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Can you still cook the ribs on a grill?
                  They're on the Akorn now. I have an electric as backup too.

I am pretty pissed about the Traeger though. I'll see how good their customer service is and get it fixed, but then I may sell it.
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Traeger issues.

I had to replace my rod a couple of years ago. They don't last forever.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                      KCC is en fuego!
                      No kidding. That looks outstanding.

I am gearing up for some ABTs and brats.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        Go to bed already...
                        Whiffed again. DH wasn't the one out of line.

Douger, I bet it was delish. Keep chiming in.

Comment

We are having spaghetti.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I had to replace my rod a couple of years ago. They don't last forever.
                            The rod hasn't even lasted a year. I'm less concerned about the rod though than I am why the auger and fan are cutting out. It's as though it popped a breaker, but the temperature display still works so it isn't the fuse or breaker. And if I turn the dial it starts working again. That's how I got the overflowing fire pot. I was trying to start it on smoke. A few wisps of smoke but no ignition and then it shut off. Turned the dial up one notch and it starts working again so I put it back to smoke and the same thing. Pull the deflector and took the picture.

This just hasn't been my weekend. I had three moves in my quorum. Friday, Saturday and this morning. I have been building some furniture for our home that we're closing on this week while trying to get our own shit packed and together. One of my elders was in a serious car accident with his wife Saturday night so I spent Sunday afternoon visiting with them. And I wasn't paying attention and just burned my ribs. I haven'tevenbeen able to see one episode of Arrested Development yet.
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

The rod hasn't even lasted a year. I'm less concerned about the rod though than I am why the auger and fan are cutting out. It's as though it popped a breaker, but the temperature display still works so it isn't the fuse or breaker. And if I turn the dial it starts working again. That's how I got the overflowing fire pot. I was trying to start it on smoke. A few wisps of smoke but no ignition and then it shut off. Turned the dial up one notch and it starts working again so I put it back to smoke and the same thing. Pull the deflector and took the picture.
                              I have been thinking about it, and this is nothing like what happened to me. My plug just stopped working and it would not get hot at all. It was still under warranty (that or they just offered to cover it) so they told me I could take it back where I bought and they would fix it there, or they could send me the part and I could fix it myself. I did it myself and it took about 15 minutes. The new plug seemed to be better quality than the old one.

Sounds like you have a faulty control unit. I would be curious to see what they tell you.

This just hasn't been my weekend. I had three moves in my quorum. Friday, Saturday and this morning. I have been building some furniture for our home that we're closing on this week while trying to get our own shit packed and together. One of my elders was in a serious car accident with his wife Saturday night so I spent Sunday afternoon visiting with them. And I wasn't paying attention and just burned my ribs. I haven'tevenbeen able to see one episode of Arrested Development yet.
                              Bummer.

Comment

The worst part, imo.

I kid. Sounds pretty horrible. Good luck.
                                Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Working...
                                X