New receiver advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New receiver advice

Let's say I just picked up a set of Polk speakers for my home audio system, and that all I need is a receiver. What do you guys use? Any brands/models to stay away from?

I'm mostly looking at Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer right now.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I've got a Yamaha receiver and I love it. It's a 7 channel with 2 zone capability. Cant remember any more specs on it but I've been very happy with it. Learning curve is fairly steep as it has a bunch of features that I still don't know how to use. But the basic functions are easy enough to manage that even my 7 year knows which input the DVD player and wii are on.

Comment

Onkyo.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        I've got a Yamaha receiver and I love it. It's a 7 channel with 2 zone capability. Cant remember any more specs on it but I've been very happy with it. Learning curve is fairly steep as it has a bunch of features that I still don't know how to use. But the basic functions are easy enough to manage that even my 7 year knows which input the DVD player and wii are on.
        I have a Yamaha RXV-667 and it's awesome. Its not top of the line but for the money, it one of the best, if not the best, bang for the buck.

Comment

Catch with your hands, not with your chest.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I have both Yamaha and Onkyo. You can't go wrong either way. My Onkyo is one of their high end models and it's going in my home theater as soon as I finish building the rack to hold it. Also consider Marantz.

Comment

Amazon.com often has some screaming deals on Onkyo receivers. I'd search slickdeals.net or other similar sites for deals.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

I've got a great old Yamaha in the garage somewhere, and that's the extent of my opinion.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Onkyo. Got mine from Crutchfield. Been very satisfied with it.

Comment

I got an Onkyo four years ago for my reggae class, and it's never had a hitch. I even hooked up a polk sub-woofer to it, not problem. Also, if you go to yard sales, you'll regularly see old Onkyos from the 70's still working fine.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      I got an Onkyo four years ago for my reggae class, and it's never had a hitch. I even hooked up a polk sub-woofer to it, not problem. Also, if you go to yard sales, you'll regularly see old Onkyos from the 70's still working fine.
                      I have seen some fine-looking used receivers, but part of why I'm making the plunge into home audio is for additional HDMI inputs. My TV only has 2 - I want at least 4. Most of the receivers on the used market - especially at yard sales - don't have HDMI at all.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I was about to pull the trigger on this refurbished Onkyo TX-NR414 for just $199:

TX-NR414(B)_MDC_FR.jpg

https://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm...il=1&ext_war=1

until I did a search for it on avsforum and found by far the most prominent thread discussing it as
                        "The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread"

Only 26% of those who responded to a poll in that thread said

No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it.
                        http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415258/th...roblems-thread
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          I was about to pull the trigger on this refurbished Onkyo TX-NR414 for just $199:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2181[/ATTACH]

https://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm...il=1&ext_war=1

until I did a search for it on avsforum and found by far the most prominent thread discussing it as
                          "The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread"

Only 26% of those who responded to a poll in that thread said

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415258/th...roblems-thread
                          But what % of Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 users who haven't had problems with their receiver actually searched out a problems thread online?
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

When I bought my current Onkyo the first one I brought home was DOA. The second has been fantastic. The calibration microphone is a huge plus.

I've had two Yamaha home theater receivers including the one I use in my upstairs living room. Both have been awesome. You can't go wrong with either brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              But what % of Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 users who haven't had problems with their receiver actually searched out a problems thread online?
                              As if anyone could even know that!

When I did my search over there, I was expecting to find an "official" thread for owners of that receiver, as is apparently common for other receivers. I couldn't find it. The only one was owners complaining about it. I may still get an Onkyo, but I'm pretty sure it won't be this model.
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                              X