No announcement yet.

Venezuela sin Chávez: The Nicolas Maduro Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venezuela has arrested six people for being responsible for an assassination attempt using drones flying nearby a Maduro speech on Saturday at a military parade.

The article comments also on how so many of the military present took off to save themselves:

"Seeing the military scatter at a presidential ceremony suggests a "lapse in security" and "a pretty high level of dysfunction," David Smilde, a sociologist at Tulane University and senior fellow at the Washington Office on Latin America, told CNN.
    With the exception of his immediate bodyguards, images of the incident raise questions about the government's ability "to keep things together."
    "For the soldiers and whoever was running security, it was a bad day," he said.
    Smilde said that it appears the soldiers are there because they have to be there."There's not deep belief in, or loyalty to, the government," he said. "If something like this happens, they're absolutely going to save themselves first."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/05/ameri...ezuela-maduro/

Then I thought the commentary below was interesting:

Maduro has loyalists in important positions instead of competent people, a state of affairs that leads to the undoing of authoritarian governments like the one in Venezuela, Smilde said.
    The government model in Venezuela, Smilde said, is a model that emphasizes loyalty and the concentration of power, rather than competence, education, accountability and transparency.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/maryorinmendez/s...84324101091333

I still can't believe that there hasn't been a civil war yet. This video (it's all in Spanish) scares the hell out of me. Not for me here, but for them there.

I can't get the tweet markups to work.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

https://twitter.com/maryorinmendez/s...84324101091333

I still can't believe that there hasn't been a civil war yet. This video (it's all in Spanish) scares the hell out of me. Not for me here, but for them there.

I can't get the tweet markups to work.
        What are they saying? Why is it scary?

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          What are they saying? Why is it scary?

The guy is berating butchers, bakers, hell, candlestick makers, et al, and saying that they are cheating the people by charging for their products, and that they are going to shut them down. It's basically communism. He's calling small mom-and-pop type stores, "ladrones" which means thieves.

Given what's happening, this video is a call to arms for the unintelligent, the opportunists, and the criminal element, to exact revenge, rob, steal, and murder anyone trying to make a living as a merchant.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Colombia Struggles to Control Border Overrun by Desperate Venezuelans

The ramifications are vast for South America, which has seen the population of Venezuelans across nine countries explode from 87,000 in 2015 to more than 1.5 million this year. Migration authorities fear the arrivals will only swell in coming months as policies in Venezuela that many economists call half-baked worsen food shortages and hyperinflation, which is expected to hit 1 million percent.
            https://www.wsj.com/articles/colombi...ans-1537444801
            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
            SU

Comment

• What a tragedy started by a power hungry despot taking over a formerly prosperous democratic country made even worse by his dumbass successor.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                What a tragedy started by a power hungry despot taking over a formerly prosperous democratic country made even worse by his dumbass successor.
                Good thing Putin is helping prop up Maduro. Venezuela used to be the strongest democracy in South America. It's truly a shame.

Comment

I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• as folks flee the country by the millions, it's good of maduro to donate to indonesia-

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...1003-0023.html
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      as folks flee the country by the millions, it's good of maduro to donate to indonesia-

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...1003-0023.html
                      well, he has fewer Venezuelans to "take care of" now. Beats having to "disappear" them or having them protesting.

This is what happens when democratically elected leaders are allowed to ignore the constitution of the country and systematically wear down and ultimately break all institutions that would and could push back on their grab for power. It took Chavez and now Maduro years to do it, and would probably take even longer in the US. But the direction is the same. I'd be curious to know what makes Trump anti-Venezuela, since as far as I can tell it's about the only dictator he has come down on and hasn't praised at some point. Maybe it's because he speaks Spanish.
                      Last edited by BlueK; 10-04-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Cash required for various commodities. 1000 Bolivar notes.

ven 1.jpg
                        ven 2.jpg
                        ven 3.jpg
                        ven 4.jpg
                        One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                        SU

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                          Cash required for various commodities. 1000 Bolivar notes.
                          [ATTACH]9121[/ATTACH]
                          I don't get it. Why not just wipe your butt with the cash?
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I don't get it. Why not just wipe your butt with the cash?
                            It’s probably that plasticized money. Very stiff and completely non-absorbent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              It’s probably that plasticized money. Very stiff and completely non-absorbent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              If that toilet paper is anything like what they had when I was in Guatemala, that really shouldn't matter. Money would still work better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                If that toilet paper is anything like what they had when I was in Guatemala, that really shouldn't matter. Money would still work better.

Yeah, the toilet paper was about sixes with well-crumpled Church News pages. If you really spent the time to crumple the pages finely, CN was actually even better than the available TP.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X