refrigerators cost what ?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refrigerators cost what ?!?!?

My wife is wanting to update our refrigerator, to a stainless steel, french door model. I had no idea those things were so spendy. It literally costs more than my first car did

I have no idea what brand to get. She likes LG/Kenmore Elite (supposedly same fridge, just different name) and the Samsung models. Does anyone have any advice what brand to buy, or which to avoid? I certainly don't want to be replacing this thing, anytime soon.

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    My wife is wanting to update our refrigerator, to a stainless steel, french door model. I had no idea those things were so spendy. It literally costs more than my first car did

I have no idea what brand to get. She likes LG/Kenmore Elite (supposedly same fridge, just different name) and the Samsung models. Does anyone have any advice what brand to buy, or which to avoid? I certainly don't want to be replacing this thing, anytime soon.
    Tell me about it. We dropped $2300 on a Samsung model similar to what you describe. MJ is crazy happy with it though. It has the french doors, ice maker, pull out freezer bottom, deli drawer in between the fridge and feezer, etc. It's very nice, but I still have no idea if it's worth the cost, but MJ is happy so I'm happy.

The best part about it is that the front of the fridge, for some reason or another, does not hold magnets....so basically the front of our fridge actually looks clean and not hte cluttered mess you find in most kitchens.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Tell me about it. We dropped $2300 on a Samsung model similar to what you describe. MJ is crazy happy with it though. It has the french doors, ice maker, pull out freezer bottom, deli drawer in between the fridge and feezer, etc. It's very nice, but I still have no idea if it's worth the cost, but MJ is happy so I'm happy.

The best part about it is that the front of the fridge, for some reason or another, does not hold magnets....so basically the front of our fridge actually looks clean and not hte cluttered mess you find in most kitchens.
      High quality stainless steel is not magnetic, IIRC. However, it smudges much more easily than faux stainless. So if you have young kids, the front of your fridge probably doesn't actually look that clean.We were all gung ho on a quality fridge 4-5 years back. Then we saw what they cost and decided a $900 faux stainless was a better idea. Even that was a significant upgrade from anything we'd had prior.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

We will be getting a new fridge soon as well. Ugh.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

We just bought a Samsung French door refrigerator with ice and water dispenser, gas range with convection oven, over the range microwave and dishwasher in stainless steel last week. After rebates it came in under $3500 with delivery, refrigerator hook up and removal and disposal of old appliances. The fridge was more than half the total price.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

I have two fridges. Both faux, both Frigidaire. Never had any problems. My mom has the big Samsung beast with the cooling drawer. It'll be a quaint relic some day. Like the avocado and harvest gold ones of yesteryear. It doesn't keep drinks cold unless you "super cool" the drawer. >
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I have two fridges. Both faux, both Frigidaire. Never had any problems. My mom has the big Samsung beast with the cooling drawer. It'll be a quaint relic some day. Like the avocado and harvest gold ones of yesteryear. It doesn't keep drinks cold unless you "super cool" the drawer. >
              I'd prefer faux for the reasons Donut listed. GE has a finish they call clean steel which looks like stainless but doesn't smudge and is magnetic. Unfortunately they don't offer it in very many models.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                I'd prefer faux for the reasons Donut listed. GE has a finish they call clean steel which looks like stainless but doesn't smudge and is magnetic. Unfortunately they don't offer it in very many models.
                Whirlpool makes it as well. I think they call it their "Sateen" finish or something like that.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

We got a Samsung 30 cu ft stainless for $1,500 last year. Sears had a deal where you got progressively larger discounts with the more appliances you bought. We had a lot of buying to do.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

We've had a Samsung for a couple of years now, and we've been happy with it. It was one of the top few models in the Consumer Reports listing for bottom-freezer models. I thought the same thing, Art ("This had better last a loooooong time.")
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

I'll throw out some questions for you fridge experts. We briefly walked through the RC Willey fridge section the other day and as I glanced at the different fridges and the prices, the one thing that stood out to me and seemed consistent was that the pull out freezer bottom fridges (POFBF) were more expensive than the side by side freezer/fridges. For those who have bought fridges recently, did you find the same? In our house right now we have a POFBF and while it has been fine, I'm not sure I understand what makes it better. If anything, I've been a little annoyed at having to always bend way down to get stuff in and out of there. Any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the POFBFs? What other specific things should we look for in a fridge that y'all have found to be helpful?
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

It literally costs more than my first car did
                        Speaking of new cars, let's say I have 50k to spend...
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          Speaking of new cars, let's say I have 50k to spend...
                          Wait another 18-24 months, and I will have one in mint condition to sell.

Comment

Wait another 18-24 months, and I will have one in mint condition to sell.
                            Buy used, good advice. Thank you.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              Buy used, good advice. Thank you.
                              That's what I did. $500 for a fridge, and I haven't had any problems with it in two years.
                              Not that, sickos.

Comment

Working...
                              X