Dear Momma, You Are Appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Momma, You Are Appreciated

I'm a little interested hearing about how your ward has chosen to celebrate motherhood today. This can include talk topics, relief from callings, and of course any given treats.

And for those that didn't attend any sort of worship service today, feel free to brag about your own efforts
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Youth talk #1 - I love my mom!
    Youth talk #2 - ditto!

Adult #1 (lady in her 50s) - So glad for stay at home moms!

Intermediate hymn

Adult #2 (lady's husband) - hooray for moms! "It's in your nature to nuture"

Snack of assorted chocolates, handed out be deacons, at end of sacrament.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

During the Relief Society block, the Relief Society presidency arranges a brunch (all the stops... homemade sweet rolls, egg dish, fruits, juices... you name it). I'm not sure why the Relief Society does this to itself, but it's the way things happen in our ward.

Then there are talks about mother in Sacrament meeting. (The adult men all used emasculating descriptions of males this year. Either men are stupid. Or lazy. Or bumbling. Without women, we are a complete mess. Etc.)

The primary sings some songs about mothers. (The true highlight of the day.)

Another adult talk about mothers.

Decorative baggie thingie with treats handed out to moms (any woman over the age of 18) after sacrament meeting.

The end.

Comment

Nice thread title. I think I'm going to send it to my mom as a tribute today.

So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I saw someone post on CB this morning that they were speaking in Sacrament meeting today and were told specifically not to mention mothers. I bet that was a sweet meeting for all those moms.
          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

I worked last night. I have 9 am church. This is a bad combination because the hour available for sleep in between isn't at all refreshing, so more and more often, I've just been skipping when I work the night before. The thought of my wife alone in Mothers Day Sacrament was a bit much, even for me (I'm not past feeling yet!), so I came home, made breakfast in bed and drug my butt through it.

My efforts were rewarded. It was a very nice meeting. The two youth speakers gave the standard "I love my mom" talks. A woman in the primary presidency gave a very heartfelt and honest assessment of motherhood that included only one cringeworthy moment about her decision to leave work and stay at home with her kids (it was not very delicately put), but also included some nice thoughts on feelings of inadequacy and not comparing our "behind the scenes" with others' "front and center" selves. One of my favorite guys in the ward, a former bishop who spoke up in the Emma Smith lesson with "I don't see that anyone who is judging Emma has a chance in hell of making it himself", spoke next, by his account for the third (and last) Mother's Day in a row (how does this happen--to multiple people? Someone must be doing this intentionally, right? PAC draws the straw 5 times in a row?). He spoke...diplomatically?... of his mother--"while she was a lot of fun, she wasn't a lot like other mothers"--but then finished with "While we all have our own story, God gives us what we need". My niece needed to hear this. She and I had a big discussion the other day about her not wanting to come to church anymore because she feels judged all the time, among other things; she hates Mothers Day especially because of her history. I think this was good for her to hear.

Overall, it struck a nice balance between honoring mothers and not idealizing them. Nice job.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Our ward historically has tried to be super diplomatic about Mother's Day.

This year:
              2 YW on topics of their own choosing, one spoke on music and dance, the other on the word of wisdom.

2 men spoke on the topic of how we can show our appreciation for Mothers and women by our actions.

Primary sang two Mother's Day songs.

Chocolate for all women over 18.

I think they did pretty well at acknowledging the special day without making anyone feel bad about it.
              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
              SU

Comment

Ours went OT because we did a combo Mothers Day tribute and missionary farewell. The order of business:

Primary did the usual sing/shout of "Mother I Love You"

Four youth speakers--the first three held forth on "Mothers are good"; the fourth spoke on how one prepares for a mission (wth?)

Ward choir performed "A Marvelous Work"

Departing sister missionary wrapped things up with a very good and entertaining talk, "When I saw I had been called to England I was SO excited as there's no place I'd rather be going, but I would have been excited even if I had been called to Idaho."

Post-benediction handouts of See's chocolate miniboxes to all women >18

Comment

Oh, I forgot! They caught women on the way in with Almond Toblerones! Those are good.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Post-benediction handouts of See's chocolate miniboxes to all women >18

Comment

Apparently the bishopric forgot that it was Mothers Day. The women were not happy. The 2nd counselor, who is an oddity in and of himself, made it better by explaining to the relief society that when Fathers Day comes around the men will relieve the women in their classes so that the women can enjoy time together and some homemade treats WTF!
                      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                        Apparently the bishopric forgot that it was Mothers Day. The women were not happy. The 2nd counselor, who is an oddity in and of himself, made it better by explaining to the relief society that when Fathers Day comes around the men will relieve the women in their classes so that the women can enjoy time together and some homemade treats WTF!
                        Double fail.
                        "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Youth Speaker: I love my mom, she's so important
                          Adult Speaker: Women are important. If you don't have kids you can follow the example of my wife, who when we had issues conceiving became a pediatric nurse, accepted callings in the primary, and and did a lot of babysitting for friends, family, and new mothers in the ward. She has since been blessed with four beautiful children.

Primary kids sing "Love is Spoken Here" third verse round failed horribly so they repeated it.

Adult Speaker: Mothers are so special they don't need the priesthood.

all women over 18 received a dove chocolate bar.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Youth speaker one: Moms are the best. Everyone loves moms.
                            Youth speaker two: My mom is the best, especially over the past six months as my dad is dying of cancer and my mom has been a rock. Chapel is full of tears and love for his mom.
                            Primary: Mommy Dear I Love You So
                            Adult Speaker: Teachings of moms, mingled with scripture.
                            Mom Gift: Full on brunch during third hour for all females 12 and up while men babysat.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              Youth speaker one: Moms are the best. Everyone loves moms.
                              Youth speaker two: My mom is the best, especially over the past six months as my dad is dying of cancer and my mom has been a rock. Chapel is full of tears and love for his mom.
                              Primary: Mommy Dear I Love You So
                              Adult Speaker: Teachings of moms, mingled with scripture.
                              Mom Gift: Full on brunch during third hour for all females 12 and up while men babysat.
                              All females 12 and up? On Mothers Day? Seems like a bad message to be sending young girls...

Comment

Working...
                              X