Microsoft May 21 launch event ... new Xbox reveal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    Not always on but there will be a pre-owned fee for used games.
    I think this is BS. I don't know if I'm going to buy an Xbox this time around (b/c of this and a few other "features" they announced).

Also, for those that missed the broadcast, here are the highlights:

"Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Xbox One is a terrible name. We call our original Xbox (the one sitting on the shelf in the coat closet) the Xbox1. Not overwhelmed by the design either... someone somewhere said it has as much sexiness as a 3-ring binder. I agree.

Ditto for the presentation... a complete bore. I felt that, on the whole, there was just too must focus on the non-gaming aspects of the new platform. TV integration? OK, fine. But will this thing replace your DVR? I don't think this point was clear. Skype? Meh, whatever.

Despite that... the 8GB RAM, 64-bit proc is very respectable. Blu-Ray is now included... which was the only real reason I bought a PS3. The proposed fees and lack of backwards compatibility (already mentioned above) is a bite. We personally don't have a huge library for our 360, but probably enough of an investment to slow our decision to upgrade by a year (or more).
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        Xbox One is a terrible name. We call our original Xbox (the one sitting on the shelf in the coat closet) the Xbox1. Not overwhelmed by the design either... someone somewhere said it has as much sexiness as a 3-ring binder. I agree.

Ditto for the presentation... a complete bore. I felt that, on the whole, there was just too must focus on the non-gaming aspects of the new platform. TV integration? OK, fine. But will this thing replace your DVR? I don't think this point was clear. Skype? Meh, whatever.

Despite that... the 8GB RAM, 64-bit proc is very respectable. Blu-Ray is now included... which was the only real reason I bought a PS3. The proposed fees and lack of backwards compatibility (already mentioned above) is a bite. We personally don't have a huge library for our 360, but probably enough of an investment to slow our decision to upgrade by a year (or more).
        It will be interesting how they address the used games issue. I don't care about the backwards compatability, but to have to pay a fee (some intimated it would be full retail price) to play a game that is borrowed? That is some BS. What if my copy of COD gets scratched and becomes unplayable. I am not going to go pay full price for the game again. I am going to Game Stop to pick up a used copy. Or what if I am unsure about dropping $60 on a game (I will be interested to see what the price point of these games will be - $75 games would not surprise me)? I want to borrow the game from a friend or my brother to make sure I like it before buying it for myself. This move would be devastating to Game Stop, Game Fly and private sales of games. There already seems to be a lot of blow back so maybe they'll address it but it sounds like they're making all game devs create a unique registration code to play the game and then that game will be linked to your Xbox account forever.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          It will be interesting how they address the used games issue. I don't care about the backwards compatability, but to have to pay a fee (some intimated it would be full retail price) to play a game that is borrowed? That is some BS. What if my copy of COD gets scratched and becomes unplayable. I am not going to go pay full price for the game again. I am going to Game Stop to pick up a used copy. Or what if I am unsure about dropping $60 on a game (I will be interested to see what the price point of these games will be - $75 games would not surprise me)? I want to borrow the game from a friend or my brother to make sure I like it before buying it for myself. This move would be devastating to Game Stop, Game Fly and private sales of games. There already seems to be a lot of blow back so maybe they'll address it but it sounds like they're making all game devs create a unique registration code to play the game and then that game will be linked to your Xbox account forever.

Stupid... as you said, goodbye Gamefly!
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Uncle Ted can decipher this a lot better than I can, but have a look...
            The move away from PowerPC to 64-bit x86 cores means the One breaks backwards compatibility with all Xbox 360 titles. Microsoft won’t be pursuing any sort of a backwards compatibility strategy, although if a game developer wanted to it could port an older title to the new console. Interestingly enough, the first Xbox was also an x86 design - from a hardware/ISA standpoint the new Xbox One is backwards compatible with its grandfather, although Microsoft would have to enable that as a feature in software - something that’s quite unlikely.

Screenshot-11.jpg

On the graphics side it’s once again obvious that Microsoft and Sony are shopping at the same store as the Xbox One’s SoC integrates an AMD GCN based GPU. Here’s where things start to get a bit controversial. Sony opted for an 18 Compute Unit GCN configuration, totaling 1152 shader processors/cores/ALUs. Microsoft went for a far smaller configuration: 768 (12 CUs).

Microsoft can’t make up the difference in clock speed alone (AMD’s GCN seems to top out around 1GHz on 28nm), and based on current leaks it looks like both MS and Sony are running their GPUs at the same 800MHz clock. The result is a 33% reduction in compute power, from 1.84 TFLOPs in the PS4 to 1.23 TFLOPs in the Xbox One. We’re still talking about over 5x the peak theoretical shader performance of the Xbox 360, likely even more given increases in efficiency thanks to AMD’s scalar GCN architecture (MS quotes up to 8x better GPU performance) - but there’s no escaping the fact that Microsoft has given the Xbox One less GPU hardware than Sony gave the PlayStation 4. Note that unlike the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 era, Sony's hardware advantage here won't need any clever developer work to extract - the architectures are near identical, Sony just has more resources available to use.

Remember all of my talk earlier about a slight pivot in strategy? Microsoft seems to believe that throwing as much power as possible at the next Xbox wasn’t the key to success and its silicon choices reflect that.

The bolded part made me lol.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              It will be interesting how they address the used games issue.
              http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-just-ga...-drm-514393553

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.

Comment

yeah I think this is what we expected even thought this is not what was initially communicated.
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Microsoft's head of Xbox One Don Mattrick resigns to become Zynga's CEO. Don't worry though Steve Ballmer is going to personally oversee Mattrick's old division. If anyone can right the ship he can.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                    Microsoft's head of Xbox One Don Mattrick resigns to become Zynga's CEO. Don't worry though Steve Ballmer is going to personally oversee Mattrick's old division. If anyone can right the ship he can.
                    Farmville 3 is going to be huge.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X