The Facebook "Share this!" Hall of Shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I know much of this is standard board snark, but it's mentioned a lot on the Trumpian right as part of the "they brought this upon themselves" argument. And in a sense, they did. But the argument seems premised on the belief that the parents are doing this out of either malevolence or stupidity. If my domestic situation were so dire, due to governmental tyranny or gangs, that I had no other hope than to get my kids into a possibly better situation, I'd do whatever I could to get them there. I'd be willing to take on the legal risks, but I don't think I should be scorned or abused for doing so.
    Maybe an open letter from a previous administration would change your mind...

An open letter to the parents of children crossing our Southwest border

This year, a record number of children will cross our Southern border illegally into the United States. In the month of May alone, the number of children, unaccompanied by a mother or father, who crossed our southern border reached more than 9,000, bringing the total so far this year to 47,000. The majority of these children come from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, where gang and drug violence terrorize communities. To the parents of these children I have one simple message: Sending your child to travel illegally into the United States is not the solution.

It is dangerous to send a child on the long journey from Central America to the United States. The criminal smuggling networks that you pay to deliver your child to the United States have no regard for his or her safety and well-being –- to them, your child is a commodity to be exchanged for a payment. In the hands of smugglers, many children are traumatized and psychologically abused by their journey, or worse, beaten, starved, sexually assaulted or sold into the sex trade; they are exposed to psychological abuse at the hands of criminals. Conditions for an attempt to cross our southern border illegally will become much worse as it gets hotter in July and August.

The long journey is not only dangerous; there are no “permisos,” “permits,” or free passes at the end.

The U.S. Government’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, also called “DACA,” does not apply to a child who crosses the U.S. border illegally today, tomorrow or yesterday. To be eligible for DACA, a child must have been in the United States prior to June 15, 2007 — seven years ago.

Also, the immigration reform legislation now before Congress provides for an earned path to citizenship, but only for certain people who came into this country on or before December 31, 2011 — two and one half years ago. So, let me be clear: There is no path to deferred action or citizenship, or one being contemplated by Congress, for a child who crosses our border illegally today.

Rather, under current U.S. laws and policies, anyone who is apprehended crossing our border illegally is a priority for deportation, regardless of age. That means that if your child is caught crossing the border illegally, he or she will be charged with violating United States immigration laws, and placed in deportation proceedings — a situation no one wants. The document issued to your child is not a ‘permiso,’ but a Notice To Appear in a deportation proceeding before an immigration judge.

As the Secretary of Homeland Security, I have seen first-hand the children at our processing center in Texas. As a father, I have looked into the faces of these children and recognized fear and vulnerability.

The desire to see a child have a better life in the United States is understandable. But, the risks of illegal migration by an unaccompanied child to achieve that dream are far too great, and the “permisos” do not exist.

Jeh C. Johnson
    Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5522283.html

So you would send your child on a 2,000 mile journey with some strangers who may abuse and rape them along the way only to be deported and returned back to where they started? Thank god you are not my parent.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5522283.html

So you would send your child on a 2,000 mile journey with some strangers who may abuse and rape them along the way only to be deported and returned back to where they started? Thank god you are not my parent.
      Good to see the loyal trumpism goes across topics

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

To your question, no, I would not, although it underscores the desperation of those who do. To your second sentence, I heartily agree. But if I had been, we would have spent some talking about how politicians are inconsistent and often hypocrites, and that one needn't post endlessly on that theme as if it were a hot take.

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

To your question, no, I would not, although it underscores the desperation of those who do. To your second sentence, I heartily agree. But if I had been, we would have spent some talking about how politicians are inconsistent and often hypocrites, and that one needn't post endlessly on that theme as if it were a hot take.
            Haha. Savage.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Haha. Savage.
              Didn't really intend it to be. I also didn't mean to intend to omit the word "time" before "talking" but I usually avoid post hoc edits so I'll let it be...

Comment

. . .I usually avoid post hoc edits so I'll let it be...
                That seems like a strange a strange ethos to stick to. Any particular reason? Just curious. I probably make post hoc changes on a large percentage of the few posts I make.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  That seems like a strange a strange ethos to stick to. Any particular reason? Just curious. I probably make post hoc changes on a large percentage of the few posts I make.
                  I believe you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• My wife’s aunt just posted this with 100% sincerity.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                      It's more out of inertia than an ethos. I've fixed many typos and omissions right after posting when I spot the inevitable errors. But if I spot something amiss hours or days later, I figure I should let it stand and take my lumps. No lofty principles involved here, although laziness pervades my life...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                        My wife’s aunt just posted this with 100% sincerity.

I can't stop laughing.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          My wife’s aunt just posted this with 100% sincerity.

That is awesome.

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• those lebrons are basically a war crime anyway
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• lol I bet Hollywood is just teeming with people wearing work boots. And I'm sure no people wearing work boots would ever be willing to flip off Trump's star.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X