Travel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I spent the weekend making arrangements for a bucket list trip in October, consisting mainly of a cruise in the Black and Aegean Seas (Istanbul, Crimea/Odessa, Athens/Corinth/Mycenae, Mykonos and Ephesus). We've never visited any of those places so we're excited. But perhaps the most intriguing part of the trip will be at the end when we make a two-day visit to Cappadocia, an area of which I was completely ignorant until very recently. Check out this collection of Google images of the area. Note that the area with the unique rock towers with mushroom-like caps is referred to as Love Valley, for reasons that escape me.

We'll visit Derinkuyu, an underground city (apropos to today's hollow earth discussion) that, along with other underground cities in the area, was home to tens of thousand of people many centuries ago, and archaeologists are still discovering more. Add in one of the most geologically interesting landscapes on the planet, dozens of churches and other buildings carved into mountainsides with frescoes and other medieval art, and top it off with an early morning hot air balloon ride and you have a couple of potentially wondrous days. Even the normally timid Mrs. PAC is looking forward to the rather frightening balloon ride, observing that if it's our time, there may be no cooler way to go out...

Suggestions for things to see in our port cities (esp. Sevastapol, Yalta, Odessa and Burgas--I'm sure many here have vacationed in Bulgaria) will be appreciated.

And I realize talking about great trips is boastful and offputting, but I'll note that until we got well into our 40s, we never traveled at all, and now as my career winds down we're making up for lost time. So, apologies but most here will be doing this sort of thing down the road, and certainly many already have.
    Are you going to spend the night inside one of those Cappodocian rock dwellings?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
      I wish that I had some input on things to do and see in the area. The region looks stunning. Its a common phallacy that you may have a really hard time finding some good sites to see. But if you keep your head on straight, and stop often for derections, I'm sure something will come up.
      Yes, they really should visit these formations:

cappadocia-columns.jpg
      Attached Files
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Are you going to spend the night inside one of those Cappodocian rock dwellings?
        Possibly. Our hotel is built back into a mountain and some of the rooms are essentially caves. I'll be content with a good bed and a view.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Possibly. Our hotel is built back into a mountain and some of the rooms are essentially caves. I'll be content with a good bed and a view.
          This is one of those moments where an iPhone panorama picture would be cool.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I called my dad this weekend to scope out the lay of the land when I come to visit him. His house has a managerie of tropical fruit. His papayas have stopped producing unfortunately, but BYU-HI has nursery where we can buy some cheap. Dad's glorious hayden mangos will not ripen until after our trip.

But hallelujah, it will be prime season for breadfruit, and it is looking to be a bumper crop this year, judging by the number of starts dad has seen around the community. I'm swooning already, because you just cannot buy breadfruit in the store, and nothing tastes quite like it for that warm, buttery bread taste. Except well, warm buttery bread. But breadfruit is awesome. I dont know what these palagis are talking about when they complain that breadfruit is tasteless.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              I called my dad this weekend to scope out the lay of the land when I come to visit him. His house has a managerie of tropical fruit. His papayas have stopped producing unfortunately, but BYU-HI has nursery where we can buy some cheap. Dad's glorious hayden mangos will not ripen until after our trip.

But hallelujah, it will be prime season for breadfruit, and it is looking to be a bumper crop this year, judging by the number of starts dad has seen around the community. I'm swooning already, because you just cannot buy breadfruit in the store, and nothing tastes quite like it for that warm, buttery bread taste. Except well, warm buttery bread. But breadfruit is awesome. I dont know what these palagis are talking about when they complain that breadfruit is tasteless.
              Papaya is awful, so I'm not inclined to take your word for it on the deliciousness of breadfruit.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Decided to spend a couple of days and take a brief vacation to San Antonio with my wife. Suggestions for food and historical attractions? We're taking one night and going to Austin so live music location recommendations would also be welcomed.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  Decided to spend a couple of days and take a brief vacation to San Antonio with my wife. Suggestions for food and historical attractions? We're taking one night and going to Austin so live music location recommendations would also be welcomed.
                  Nice! When are you here? The Alamo is actually kind of boring, but you still gotta do it, along with the riverwalk of course. I would suggest hitting some of the other San Antonio missions (mission San Jose is the best). There is always Sea World, but hey, it's just a Sea World.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                    Nice! When are you here? The Alamo is actually kind of boring, but you still gotta do it, along with the riverwalk of course. I would suggest hitting some of the other San Antonio missions (mission San Jose is the best). There is always Sea World, but hey, it's just a Sea World.
                    We're here now. Did I see you this afternoon at the Alamo cafe?
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                      We're here now. Did I see you this afternoon at the Alamo cafe?
                      Oh, no. I would never do such a thing on the sabbath! You came on a good weekend. Great weather.

When you headed to Austin? Totally different vibe than SA. So close, yet different worlds.

All the good wait-for-hours BBQ is in Austin area. Small town of Lockhart has some good BBQ as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        The Alamo is actually kind of boring, but you still gotta do it.
                        Don't forget to check out the basement!
                        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Boudro's. Some of the best prime rib I've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            Boudro's. Some of the best prime rib I've ever had.
                            Bohanan's is also good.
                            http://www.bohanans.com
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Torchy's Tacos in Austin is good.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                Torchy's Tacos in Austin is good.

I'm eating there for lunch today, well, the one in Houston.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X