Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Torchy's Tacos in Austin is good.
    Torchys is in San Antonio too. It is tasty.

Comment

I love Torchys.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I love Torchys.
        That's why I post about going there so much
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          That's why I post about going there so much
          What are your favorites? I am partial to the Independent, the Dirty Sanchez, and Mr. Orange.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I like the Baja Shrimp the best but I honestly have liked them all. I tried them all but the tuna and salmon ones.

But none of the tacos are as good as the queso.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I like the Baja Shrimp the best but I honestly have liked them all. I tried them all but the tuna and salmon ones.

But none of the tacos are as good as the queso.
              Yes! Man, that stuff is ridiculously good.

Comment

Yes! Man, that stuff is ridiculously good.
                Yeah, I think their green chile queso is make with crack. If you tell them to make it "trashy" they put on the queso on your taco.

FYI, there are some secret menu items:

Missionary-style Green Chili Pork: carnitas, pickled onions, guacamole, jack cheese and cilantro, topped with chipotle sauce and wrapped in a flour and corn two-tortilla tandem.

Jack of Clubs: fried egg and grilled potatoes with black beans, tortilla strips and cheese; all topped with cilantro, sour cream and Torchy’s Diablo sauce.

The Hipster: panko-breaded fried tuna, with bacon, green chilies and black beans; topped with cilantro and cotija cheese, and served on a flour tortilla with avocado sauce.

The Mad Cow: skirt steak with black beans and corn; topped with jack cheese, cilantro and ranch.

Trailer Park, Hillbilly Style: Torchy’s gauche standby is made even trashier with chorizo and chopped bacon atop the usual fried chicken tender with green chilies, queso and ranch, served on a flour tortilla.

Ace of Spades: jalapeño sausage link and grilled brisket topped with a fried egg, green chile queso, cotija cheese, sour cream, more cheese and Diablo sauce, served on a flour tortilla.

The Matador: chopped brisket and grilled jalapeño topped with pickled onions, jack cheese, avocado, sour cream and cilantro with tomatillo sauce on a corn tortilla.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

How about Franklin's in Austin?
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                    How about Franklin's in Austin?
                    Most popular BBQ joint in America. If you want to eat there, you need to get in line around 7-8 am. Doors open at 11 am and they serve until the food is gone.

But part of that is hype. Franklin's partner quit a couple of years ago and now runs his own place:

http://www.labarbecue.com/

It has now surpassed Franklin's as the #1-rated place according to the annual readers' poll in the Austin American Statesman. I have eaten there twice and it was the best BBQ I have ever had. They also open at 11 am, but if you get in line by 10 am or so, you will be fine.

Comment

What are your favorites? I am partial to the Independent, the Dirty Sanchez, and Mr. Orange.
                      Trailer Park, extra trashy.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        Decided to spend a couple of days and take a brief vacation to San Antonio with my wife. Suggestions for food and historical attractions? We're taking one night and going to Austin so live music location recommendations would also be welcomed.
                        If you're still in town, I highly recommend Gruene (pronounced "Green"), Texas for live music. North of New Braunfels. The Grist Mill is a fun restaurant, but the food is not outstanding.

Comment

I'm eating there for lunch today, well, the one in Houston.
                          Have you tried Velvet Taco on Washington? I think it's better than Torchy's.

Comment

My trip this fall:
                            St Petersburg: I have always wanted to go here. We will be there 5 days to visit the inlaws on their mission. Cannot wait to see the art in this city and the theater.
                            Moscow (for just 2 days)
                            Then since we are in the neighborhood and flights in Europe are dirt cheap, we are going to spend some time in eastern Europe.
                            Fly over to Budapest for 2 nights.
                            Then thinking of driving up into Slovakia so that I can go hiking for a few days here: http://www.summitpost.org/slovensky-raj-slovakia/526213
                            Then finish things off with 4 days in Prague with a day trip down Cesky Krumlov.

I'll take any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              My trip this fall:
                              St Petersburg: I have always wanted to go here. We will be there 5 days to visit the inlaws on their mission. Cannot wait to see the art in this city and the theater.
                              Moscow (for just 2 days)
                              Then since we are in the neighborhood and flights in Europe are dirt cheap, we are going to spend some time in eastern Europe.
                              Fly over to Budapest for 2 nights.
                              Then thinking of driving up into Slovakia so that I can go hiking for a few days here: http://www.summitpost.org/slovensky-raj-slovakia/526213
                              Then finish things off with 4 days in Prague with a day trip down Cesky Krumlov.

I'll take any suggestions.
                              Nice! Cesky krumlov is my suggestion! Glad it's on your schedule. Sounds like a great trip.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Nice! Cesky krumlov is my suggestion! Glad it's on your schedule. Sounds like a great trip.
                                I got that from you in another thread from a few years ago. Always been in the back of my mind.

Going to use airbnb for the first time too. Hope that goes well.

Comment

Working...
                                X