Travel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sweet Jesus, they don't even have Dole Whip.
    For as sour as Dole Whip is, surprising amount of sugar in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Thanks for the info, but having done bavaria already a few times, we are planning to go north.
      It is an entirely different flavor. Koeln is a great city. I served seven months there and then revisited in 2009. Berlin is also wonderful with so much history right there.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Who are the scuba divers?

If so, have you done any dives in the Galapagos?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          Who are the scuba divers?

I dive, but haven't done Galapagos. Maybe you could adopt me?

Comment

Who are the scuba divers?

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
            I dive, but haven't done Galapagos. Maybe you could adopt me?
            Such a trip should require official photographic documentation. Adoptee #2?

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
              Such a trip should require official photographic documentation. Adoptee #2?
              Come join us December 4th and beyond. We need guides and photographic assistance.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                The biggest Mittpicker on here is mbn. He writes in Mitt for everything.

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                JL and Creek arguments are the best!

It just occurred to me that JL and Creek realized that contention brings eyeballs and these spats are one way to prop up flagging site visitor counts. Even though I now know the arguments are manufactured à la Jerry Springer, I will still tune in.

Comment

Come join us December 4th and beyond. We need guides and photographic assistance.
                  Wish that was an option, would love to get there some day...don't have time or money this year.

A little advice:

Canon -- rent the 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM or 70-200mm
                  Nikon -- rent the 200-500 or 70-200mm

Rent the longer lenses only if you're interested in close up of birds. My understanding is most everything is super tame and will let you get quite close.

Comment

Wish that was an option, would love to get there some day...don't have time or money this year.

A little advice:

Canon -- rent the 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM or 70-200mm
                    Nikon -- rent the 200-500 or 70-200mm

Rent the longer lenses only if you're interested in close up of birds. My understanding is most everything is super tame and will let you get quite close.
                    What should I get for underwater? My wife has the camera bug for birds and other above water wildlife. We used points and saved a lot so it won't cost much. Most people could afford what little we spend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      It is funny to me that my comment has stirred up some many responses. You keep missing my point, so I will stop trying to explain it. Carry on.

And Lol @ you folks living in Vegas. I guess a comparison to Vegas is seen as a real insult!
                      Ahem, I believe that my comment was what actually stirred up the responses. My comment:

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      My opinion: Amsterdam sucks

Flame away.
                      prompted you to respond with your Vegas analogy.

Comment

What should I get for underwater? My wife has the camera bug for birds and other above water wildlife. We used points and saved a lot so it won't cost much. Most people could afford what little we spend.
                        Olympus TG-6 is what I've read the most good things about for an advanced point and shoot. DSLR underwater housings are expensive. Never used either, but most reviews of the TG-6 are very positive.

Comment

Olympus TG-6 is what I've read the most good things about for an advanced point and shoot. DSLR underwater housings are expensive. Never used either, but most reviews of the TG-6 are very positive.
                          I see it only goes down to fifty feet. Are you aware of one that could allow one to go deeper?

Do you know anything about these cameras?

https://www.sportdiver.com/four-easy...rwater-cameras
                          Last edited by Topper; 08-14-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I see it only goes down to fifty feet. Are you aware of one that could allow one to go deeper?

Do you know anything about these cameras?

https://www.sportdiver.com/four-easy...rwater-cameras
                            Not anything I've ever looked into. If I were ever to take up such a thing, I would invest in the housing for my 7D mkII, which would take a bit of research first.

That's the first I've seen of any of the four. Not my area of interest so far.

Comment

• Apparently there is an underwater housing module for the Olympus, but might be hard to justify unless other trips are planned. Improves to 150 meters.

Comment

• If you're swampfrog-level serious about it, you'll want to have outrigger strobes like this guy. scuba camera rig - bruce argyle.jpg

Otherwise any strobe near the camera lens will just capture a lot of backscatter from all the suspended particles in the water. During the day you don't necessarily need a strobe, but it brings out the colors better.
                                IMG_0479 shark backscatter.jpg

With sidelight, you can capture much better pictures, such as these from a night dive (and even then, you get a lot of backscatter).
                                IMG_0493 sculpin.jpg
                                scuba lobster.jpg

Of course, video is a blast, too.
                                https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DR...X-yrMN0IhCjY7X

Comment

Working...
                                X