Travel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Thread

Okay, I confess my search skills are probably not up to par and I don't have the institutional memory that most of you old timers do. But what's the best way to find travel-related threads? It would be great to actually have a travel category on the board with tips, suggestions, etc.

Like I say, I'm sure that some of the info I'm looking for is out there, but it seems to be a pain to find it.

BTW, I didn't really intend for this to be a separate thread per se but I just wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction.
    Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
    --William Blake, via Shpongle

In my ideal world, there would actually be a travel category, with a bunch of different threads organized by country or US state.

I'm jus' sayin'.

Comment

Depends on where you're going. There are threads here dedicated to Hawaii, France, Dayton, NYC, NOLA and the Denver Airport WiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Depends on where you're going. There are threads here dedicated to Hawaii, France, Dayton, NYC, NOLA and the Denver Airport WiFi.
        Yeah, the Airport Wifi thread is one of my favorites, although I regret to say that I was unaware of the Dayton thread. . I'm just saying that, organizationally, it would be great to have a separate category so it would be easy and convient to add info and quickly find it. Preferably with CUFfers' contact information so we could couchsurf (I'm kind of kidding about that).

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
          Yeah, the Airport Wifi thread is one of my favorites, although I regret to say that I was unaware of the Dayton thread. . I'm just saying that, organizationally, it would be great to have a separate category so it would be easy and convient to add info and quickly find it. Preferably with CUFfers' contact information so we could couchsurf (I'm kind of kidding about that).
          I've had two cuffers couchsurf here.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Here's the proximate cause of my suggestion: I'm going to be in Switzerland for a bit in late May/early June (humblebrag? Obviously!). Mostly Geneva and Lausanne along with a little village up in the Alps, Saas-Fee. I'd especially welcome any tips or suggestions about either of the larger cities. Very limited expense account but I'd welcome any recommendations about things to see and reasonably priced () places to eat (I was there last year and, good grief, it's expensive. I mostly ate bread and cheese from supermarkets. Stunningly beautiful country, though).

Comment

Here's the proximate cause of my suggestion: I'm going to be in Switzerland for a bit in late May/early June (humblebrag? Obviously!). Mostly Geneva and Lausanne along with a little village up in the Alps, Saas-Fee. I'd especially welcome any tips or suggestions about either of the larger cities. Very limited expense account but I'd welcome any recommendations about things to see and reasonably priced () places to eat (I was there last year and, good grief, it's expensive. I mostly ate bread and cheese from supermarkets. Stunningly beautiful country, though).
              Geneva is very dear. Nothing is cheap there. There is an Italian place near the Jet d'eau that is reasonably priced and quite tasty. There's a little traditional French/Swiss place about a mile up Rue de Florissant that is very good, although not cheap. If you're interested in either let me know and i will get the names for you.

If you have a car and haven't already been, I strongly encourage you to go up to Gruyère. Buy some cheese and get some fondue on the village square while you people-watch. Head up the hill to the castle. When you're done, consider going back through Montreux, stopping to shop for jazz festival souvenirs. It's a longish day but a lot of fun.

Geneva itself is a little dull, but it's a gorgeous place, as you know. Have you seen Calvin's chair? Don't make much of an effort. Make sure you return and share your finds.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Nope. Just a garden-variety brag. Don't feel bad though. Most people here haven't a clue what a real humblebrag is.

Summon Art Vandalay.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  Geneva is very dear. Nothing is cheap there. There is an Italian place near the Jet d'eau that is reasonably priced and quite tasty. There's a little traditional French/Swiss place about a mile up Rue de Florissant that is very good, although not cheap. If you're interested in either let me know and i will get the names for you.

If you have a car and haven't already been, I strongly encourage you to go up to Gruyère. Buy some cheese and get some fondue on the village square while you people-watch. Head up the hill to the castle. When you're done, consider going back through Montreux, stopping to shop for jazz festival souvenirs. It's a longish day but a lot of fun.

Geneva itself is a little dull, but it's a gorgeous place, as you know. Have you seen Calvin's chair? Don't make much of an effort. Make sure you return and share your finds.
                  Thanks for the info, Creekster. I may send you a PM as my departure date approaches.

Comment

I'll summon filsdepac (who has been buried at work) to help out here, as he served in that area, including a year or so in Geneva) a decade ago. We picked him up and saw a lot of very cool things but I'll let him give his top five list. I strongly recommend taking the tram at the Aiguille du Midi near Chamonix. Literally and figuratively breathtaking.

Comment

fils needs to work less, post more.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

PAC, that is amazing. It looks photoshopped. I always find myself wondering how on earth stuff like that gets built. Helicopters and guys with death wishes?

Comment

Hi Harry,

Certainly jealous of your trip, that's a good time to go. Although the swiss train network is excellent, having a car would enable you to see a few more things, as Creekster mentioned above. A few of my recommendations:

1. L'Aiguille du Midi near Chamonix, France. That's the pic that PAC posted, and I believe the inside has the history of how it was constructed, very impressive.
                          2. Chateau de Chillon - A very famous castle on the Lake with great views and complete with dining halls, dungeons, turrets, etc.
                          3. Chateau Grandson - Site of the Battle of Grandson. Certainly not a pivotal battle in European history but the first castle I visited in Europe and my first exposure to a sieged castle. You should read the story, apparently the Swiss were promised they wouldn't be harmed if they surrendered. About 400 or so were then hung from trees to scare off the surrounding Swiss. Apparently it just pissed people off and the Swiss retook the area soon after.
                          4. Lauterbrunnen Valley - Need to train it here (from Interlaken). Potentially the most beautiful setting in the world. Small swiss towns clinging to cliffs that drop 1000+ feet into a lush green valley. A bit far but amazing.
                          5. Geneva - Not a ton here for a tourist, plus I never ate out as a missionary so can't really help on food.
                          6. Lausanne - I believe PAC and I did the Olympics museum and found it mildly interesting.
                          7. I also liked Gruyere. Plus, you can be really obnoxious when eating Gruyere thereafter and point out to people, "Hmmm, this doesn't taste like the cheese I had in Gruyere, but it's okay."

Happy to answer any specifics questions you might have, I vaguely remember where all the freeway speed cameras were.

Comment

PAC, that is amazing. It looks photoshopped. I always find myself wondering how on earth stuff like that gets built. Helicopters and guys with death wishes?
                            You'll still wonder even after you've read the story. The ride from the valley floor rises several thousand feet, and I remember being very short of breath once I got to the highest platform, as the rapid rise leaves no time to adjust. Still, for me it remains one of the greatest highlights of several visits to Europe. One can see multiple mountain climbing groups, including those ascending Mont Blanc. Don't miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              You'll still wonder even after you've read the story. The ride from the valley floor rises several thousand feet, and I remember being very short of breath once I got to the highest platform, as the rapid rise leaves no time to adjust. Still, for me it remains one of the greatest highlights of several visits to Europe. One can see multiple mountain climbing groups, including those ascending Mont Blanc. Don't miss it.
                              I vividly remember you being short of breath after walking up the stairs. I also remember thinking wow, my dad is officially getting old. What's interesting is that you might be in better shape now and that you were in your 40s at the time (albeit with just months to go).

Comment

Working...
                              X