Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    My trip this fall:
    St Petersburg: I have always wanted to go here. We will be there 5 days to visit the inlaws on their mission. Cannot wait to see the art in this city and the theater.
    Moscow (for just 2 days)
    Then since we are in the neighborhood and flights in Europe are dirt cheap, we are going to spend some time in eastern Europe.
    Fly over to Budapest for 2 nights.
    Then thinking of driving up into Slovakia so that I can go hiking for a few days here: http://www.summitpost.org/slovensky-raj-slovakia/526213
    Then finish things off with 4 days in Prague with a day trip down Cesky Krumlov.

I'll take any suggestions.
    I have yet to visit any of those places and they're all on the travel bucket list. Budapest would have been an easy visit for me on P-Day while serving in Vienna, but I was much too obedient at the time.

We've used airbnb in various European destinations and have always had good results, but be sure the owner/agent has several recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I have yet to visit any of those places and they're all on the travel bucket list. Budapest would have been an easy visit for me on P-Day while serving in Vienna, but I was much too obedient at the time.

We've used airbnb in various European destinations and have always had good results, but be sure the owner/agent has several recommendations.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        My trip this fall:
        St Petersburg: I have always wanted to go here. We will be there 5 days to visit the inlaws on their mission. Cannot wait to see the art in this city and the theater.
        Moscow (for just 2 days)
        Then since we are in the neighborhood and flights in Europe are dirt cheap, we are going to spend some time in eastern Europe.
        Fly over to Budapest for 2 nights.
        Then thinking of driving up into Slovakia so that I can go hiking for a few days here: http://www.summitpost.org/slovensky-raj-slovakia/526213
        Then finish things off with 4 days in Prague with a day trip down Cesky Krumlov.

I'll take any suggestions.

You'll really enjoy St. Petersburg. If you're inclined to stay up late, the raising of the bridges is cool. When my brother was on a mission there, they did service in the Hermitage. Consequently, he knew where the best pieces were, and he was able to give us a really good tour. If your inlaws haven't done that, they might be able to connect you with missionaries who have. The Hermitage is really special, and it was my favorite part of my visit.
        Not that, sickos.

Comment

I've used VRBO several times and have always had great experiences. I've never used Airbnb. Is it essentially the same thing with the only difference that you can rent just a room or section of a house? Anything to steer clear of when using it?

I ask because I'm trying to convince MJ to go back to Europe next spring and given the logistics of such a trip I have to start well in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I've used VRBO several times and have always had great experiences. I've never used Airbnb. Is it essentially the same thing with the only difference that you can rent just a room or section of a house? Anything to steer clear of when using it?

I ask because I'm trying to convince MJ to go back to Europe next spring and given the logistics of such a trip I have to start well in advance.

I looked into it with our trip to England next month. The idea of renting a room from locals appeals to me. It's a way to connect with the culture even better. The listings and reviews will say how much interaction you can expect to have with the people who rent to you.

In the end, it was cheaper for me to churn some credit card offers and get all of my lodging for free. We're staying a fortnight and only pay for one night near Southampton.

Comment

You can get a whole home/apartment with airbnb too. I've done it once in Japan and it worked out great.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                You can get a whole home/apartment with airbnb too. I've done it once in Japan and it worked out great.
                Yeah, just noticed that. I don't want to just rent a room, which seems a bit weird but I guess it would be appearing if I wasn't traveling with other people.

I just checked Venice and you can rent an entire apartment for $70/night and it's only 100 feet from the main square. Wow!
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

They are basically the same thing. As you've seen, you have the choice to rent just a room or an entire apartment/house. I'm a VRBO/Air BnB convert. We've used those or similar services three times now in Europe and it is so much better than staying in a hotel.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    They are basically the same thing. As you've seen, you have the choice to rent just a room or an entire apartment/house. I'm a VRBO/Air BnB convert. We've used those or similar services three times now in Europe and it is so much better than staying in a hotel.
                    Agree. On our trip to London last year we rented an apartment for 10 days and loved it. I think the company my wife used was called One Fine Stay.
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

We've used vrbo dozens of times and have never had a bad experience. We've used AirBnB probably 3-4 times and its also gone really well. Airbnb's reservation process is a little bit more selective than VRBOs, as you have to set up a profile, complete with a description and pic, and the owners have to "approve" you to stay in their place.

I don't think you can wrong either way.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                        We've used vrbo dozens of times and have never had a bad experience. We've used AirBnB probably 3-4 times and its also gone really well. Airbnb's reservation process is a little bit more selective than VRBOs, as you have to set up a profile, complete with a description and pic, and the owners have to "approve" you to stay in their place.

I don't think you can wrong either way.
                        After doing a bit more reading on this I really like Airbnb's payment method as well. I like being able to pay with a credit card through a central service rather than doing the transaction in person. The last apartment I rented through VRBO in France was great but the renter only took cash. It was a pain to withdraw that much cash since I had to call my bank to get them to lift my withdrawal limit.

I'm amazed at the prices. Some are as low as $50/night in expensive areas and they have a ton of great reviews. Since most of my vacations are traveling around to see stuff, I really only need a place to stash my clothes/bags and a bed to sleep on. This has got to be killing the hotel industry.

Comment

Has anybody traveled to Ecuador and the Galapagos?

If so, how long a visit to the Islands is warranted? Does it make sense to fly or is a cruise out to the islands worthwhile?

Is there any reason to spend time in Quito?
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I'm planning a rather elaborate family vacay, but there have been rumblings by the younger set about the gentleness of the hikes. I just found a great hike that I have never heard of before, pretty challenging for the kids, called the Falease'ela River Walk. Someone youtubed this hike.

Comment

Looks really fun.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Travel Thread

ooh, good thread.

Were thinking of heading to Europe this year. Two adults and two children. No real plan or idea of when, where, what to do. Im a real novice here.

Definitely want to go to Amsterdam and Copenhagan. Have heard Prague is must visit as it is ridiculously pretty. Would like to see Germany and Italy though not sure where in those countries.
                                Which would you prefer to do - timewise, moneywise, etc:

In May, spend 4/5 days in Dubai then head to Europe.

or

In late September, possibly 4/5 days in Frankfurt then travel from there.

I may be flying on my own with the children one way for either of these.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X