Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it doctrine or culture that keeps women from being ordained?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it doctrine or culture that keeps women from being ordained?

I hesitate to ask this question here, but is there anyone that has done any research on this issue? Have there ever been any doctrinal/scriptural statements that priesthood ordination is reserved exclusively for men? I'm not talking about what happens in the temple (so don't bother bringing that up). I am talking about blessing the sacrament and the laying on of hands.

Is this really an issue similar to blacks in the priesthood, where it is a practice that could and was changed? Have there been scriptural/doctrinal statements that distinguish gender from race with regard to priesthood?

I am not aware of any such doctrine. The proclamation on the family talks about different roles for men and women, which I accept ... but it doesn't say anything about priesthood.

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
    I hesitate to ask this question here, but is there anyone that has done any research on this issue? Have there ever been any doctrinal/scriptural statements that priesthood ordination is reserved exclusively for men? I'm not talking about what happens in the temple (so don't bother bringing that up). I am talking about blessing the sacrament and the laying on of hands.

Is this really an issue similar to blacks in the priesthood, where it is a practice that could and was changed? Have there been scriptural/doctrinal statements that distinguish gender from race with regard to priesthood?

I am not aware of any such doctrine. The proclamation on the family talks about different roles for men and women, which I accept ... but it doesn't say anything about priesthood.
    I guess the answer to that question might depend on whether you think that there is a principled distinction to be made between scripture and extrapolations from scripture made by general authorities.
    Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
    --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
      I guess the answer to that question might depend on whether you think that there is a principled distinction to be made between scripture and extrapolations from scripture made by general authorities.
      Assume that I don't.

Comment

I thought it interesting that they went to great lengths in making a video of Mary Fielding Smith "bringing the Elders into her home," as if was to show that her laying on of hands in the great Oxen Miracle of '47 was a one time thing, and that she really did rely upon the Elders of the Church for her everyday Priesthood needs.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

The reason they are making a big deal out of women not needing the priesthood is because they know women ought to have the priesthood.

The focus on women just lends more credence to the Ordain Women group. If anything happens to anyone in that group. the Church is going to get really bad national publicity.

The Church was so good about the Book of Mormon Musical--choosing to advertise in the playbill and give a bland, generic response to the media. But when it comes to their own members, they screw it up. The Church spokesperson's statement was absurd--saying that since Jesus didn't give women the priesthood, women don't need it. I'm also willing to bet that none of the apostles were chinese or black, but that doesn't mean crap.

I have to believe that some of these leaders (e.g. Packer) are either unintelligent, out of touch, or both.
          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
            The reason they are making a big deal out of women not needing the priesthood is because they know women ought to have the priesthood.

The focus on women just lends more credence to the Ordain Women group. If anything happens to anyone in that group. the Church is going to get really bad national publicity.

The Church was so good about the Book of Mormon Musical--choosing to advertise in the playbill and give a bland, generic response to the media. But when it comes to their own members, they screw it up. The Church spokesperson's statement was absurd--saying that since Jesus didn't give women the priesthood, women don't need it. I'm also willing to bet that none of the apostles were chinese or black, but that doesn't mean crap.

I have to believe that some of these leaders (e.g. Packer) are either unintelligent, out of touch, or both.
            If I had to guess, I imagine Chinese were harder to come by in ancient Israel than women.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
              If I had to guess, I imagine Chinese were harder to come by in ancient Israel than women.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                Assume that I don't.
                then I'll assume you already know the answer to the question.

Having searched the canonized scriptures, I cannot find anything other than traditional chauvinistic language preferences (using he as a generic pronoun instead of gender neutral language) that leads me to believe that the sex of a priesthood holder matters.

However, if we look at the historical record and read about the organization of the Relief Society, it's pretty clear that Joseph Smith intended it to be a female priesthood. This interpretation is strengthened by the fact that Brigham Young disbanded Society shortly after being chosen to lead and that several years later when women approached him he berated them and said there would be nothing like what Joseph had started.

In BY's defense, (can't believe I'm saying that) he did allow for and encourage women to bless and anoint each other in times of sickness or distress. That was the closest we've ever come to having women priesthood holders.

We
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                  then I'll assume you already know the answer to the question.

Having searched the canonized scriptures, I cannot find anything other than traditional chauvinistic language preferences (using he as a generic pronoun instead of gender neutral language) that leads me to believe that the sex of a priesthood holder matters.

However, if we look at the historical record and read about the organization of the Relief Society, it's pretty clear that Joseph Smith intended it to be a female priesthood. This interpretation is strengthened by the fact that Brigham Young disbanded Society shortly after being chosen to lead and that several years later when women approached him he berated them and said there would be nothing like what Joseph had started.

In BY's defense, (can't believe I'm saying that) he did allow for and encourage women to bless and anoint each other in times of sickness or distress. That was the closest we've ever come to having women priesthood holders.

We
                  Were Brigham Young and/or Joseph Smith to suddenly appear in the modern LDS church, the one thing we can confidently expect they would say about it is, "Stop asking me what I think, and listen to the living prophet."
                  Have we been commanded not to call a prophet an insular racist? Link?

- Cali Coug

I always wanted to wear a tiara.
                  We need to be careful going back to the bible for guidance.

- Jeff Lebowski

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    Were Brigham Young and/or Joseph Smith to suddenly appear in the modern LDS church, the one thing we can confidently expect they would say about it is, "Stop asking me what I think, and listen to the living prophet."
                    Hmm, you sure see it differently than I do. Brigham would defer to Joseph, but I just don't see Joseph deferring to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Hmm, you sure see it differently than I do. Brigham would defer to Joseph, but I just don't see Joseph deferring to anyone.
                      And JS would be asking BY, WTF DID YOU DO TO MY CHURCH?????
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        There's a commonly known story where Joseph supported Brigham's view that he "would rather have the living oracles than all the writing in the books."

Joseph and Brigham always put more stock in living oracles than dead ones, however much they revered those who went before.
                        Have we been commanded not to call a prophet an insular racist? Link?

- Cali Coug

I always wanted to wear a tiara.
                        We need to be careful going back to the bible for guidance.

- Jeff Lebowski

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          It probably would have been less outrageous in that age for Jesus to have had a Chinese male apostle than a woman.

Arguing that women were excluded in a primitive society 2000 years ago and must therefore be excluded in the 21st century is a really stupid argument. Is that what Mormon thought has been reduced to? Trying to make things like they were 2000 years ago? Can't you see the problem with that?

Think of all the things that Jesus established that we don't do anymore. Think of all the things we do in Mormonism that Jesus never did. Then use the argument that if Jesus didn't have a female apostle 2000 years ago then we must not have one today, as if Jesus was in no way a product of his culture and time? God help us all.

I would love to have an apostle's ear for a day. Think of what a privilege that would be--to be able to challenge an apostle on these issues in person. I would take advantage of such an opportunity if I had one.
                          Last edited by SoonerCoug; 04-06-2013, 03:36 PM.
                          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                            It probably would have been less outrageous in that age for Jesus to have had a Chinese male apostle than a woman.

Arguing that women were excluded in a primitive society 2000 years ago and must therefore be excluded in the 21st century is a really stupid argument. Is that what Mormon thought has been reduced to? Trying to make things like they were 2000 years ago? Can't you see the problem with that?

Think of all the things that Jesus established that we don't do anymore. Think of all the things we do in Mormonism that Jesus never did. Then use the argument that if Jesus didn't have a female apostle 2000 years ago then we must not have one today, as if Jesus was in no way a product of his culture and time? God help us all.

I would love to have an apostle's ear for a day. Think of what a privilege that would be--to be able to challenge an apostle on these issues in person. I would take advantage of such an opportunity if I had one.
                            That's really a good point. Jesus tried his damndest not to shake up the status quo. That's precisely why he didn't ordain women. After all, who is God to think He can do whatever the hell he wanted as a quasi-mortal?
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              That's really a good point. Jesus tried his damndest not to shake up the status quo. That's precisely why he didn't ordain women. After all, who is God to think He can do whatever the hell he wanted as a quasi-mortal?
                              Wasn't that the unrecorded fourth temptation - Lucifer tried to get Jesus to ordain a woman?
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                              X