The Office Chair Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Office Chair Thread

I recently had the good fortune of coming into a couple hundred dollars, completely unexpectedly. After the untimely (but not too lamented) death of my office chair a few months ago, I have been making due with this beauty from our kitchen:

chair.JPG

My back has been telling me for a while that it is time to get a new one, and this has spurred me into action.

Anyone have suggestions for a good office chair? Here is my criteria:
    • I would rather not pay $850 for a new Herman Miller Aeron, but my budget is pretty open, from $150 or so to maybe $500 at the top end (though I would prefer to keep it under $350)
    • I have had a couple of chairs with some sort of faux leather, and they haven't worn well at all. Do I just need to splurge for leather, or go with some sort of mesh? Or is there a kind of leather-like fabric that will be comfortable and wear well?
    • I spend most of my time in my office working on a laptop, so a chair that is comfortable to sit up straight to work in is more important than a chair that would be comfortable to lounge in. I don't want one that I would sink into.
    • Good back support would be nice

Online seems to have the best selection and deals, but I don't like that I can't try them out. I have tried out a few at Staples, but I have not been terribly impressed with most of what they have, and the three they have at normally-reliable Costco seem cheap.

I know from previous threads that we have a lot of home-office workers; what do you sit on all day?

EDIT: I am not sure why the picture of my chair is showing up twice, once sideways.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Clark Addison; 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM.

I just got a new office chair a couple months ago. When my previous chair broke, I was handed a copy of a Staples catalog and given a budget of $150. I ended up finding something very similar to this chair for $169 and convincing them to order it for me. (It is not this exact chair, as there were a few more choices for Staples members and I can't find the exact chair online.) I will say that I was doubtful that the "leather" would be very comfortable or quality. However, my doubts were put to rest once I received it. It is real leather and it is comfortable. Compared to the vinyl/faux-leather chair I was using previously, it is fantastic. I have no idea how it compares to more expensive chairs, but I'm happy with it.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I bought this Broyhill at officemax last year, and although it's a little bulky, it sure is comfortable for sitting in for long hours. Well worth the money in my opinion. (I paid $279)

Last edited by clackamascoug; 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

CN1.jpg

I remember a time when I used to fantasize about sports cars and motorcycles. Now, swanky office chairs get me hot and bothered.
        Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
        --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Working...
        X