Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neal A. Maxwell, 1978, on Secularism (with obvious applicability to our time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    I just don't see that. I don't think victimhood is part of our culture. I do not recall hearing my Primary or Seminary teachers talk much about anti-LDS persecution. There's no "Remember Haun's Mill" cry that I am aware of. Persecution is part of our history, yes, but I don't think we dwell on it. Just my view. Obviously you see it differently?
    Different church than I grew up in and went too. Victimhood and a sense of persecution were very present.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
      Different church than I grew up in and went too. Victimhood and a sense of persecution were very present.
      That is interesting, and evokes this question: Do we get that message in lesson manuals, conference talks, CES curricula, and the like? I think not, which tells me it's a cultural thing bubbling up from the members that, if you're right, we probably need to do something about.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

That is interesting, and evokes this question: Do we get that message in lesson manuals, conference talks, CES curricula, and the like? I think not, which tells me it's a cultural thing bubbling up from the members that, if you're right, we probably need to do something about.
        I was a little terse in my comments because I think that the sense of persecution has ebbed greatly in the span of my lifetime (32 years, about 25 of which I was paying attention). I think it reflects a level of complacency about our place in America that is maybe just as unrealistic as was the sense of persecution that I perceived.

Of course, perception may be cemented to time and place as well.

Comment

Mormons' sense of victimhood is understandable. Mormonism in many respects represents the last stand against secularism. That is to many its very appeal.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            Mormons' sense of victimhood is understandable. Mormonism in many respects represents the last stand against secularism. That is to many its very appeal.
            It is also understandable in the sense that we were chased out of Illinois and Missouri. (Not that we were the easiest folks to live with...)

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
              It is also understandable in the sense that we were chased out of Illinois and Missouri. (Not that we were the easiest folks to live with...)
              My family goes back seven generations in Mormonism (mother's side). The persecution and trek west, etc. in the Ninetheenth Century certainly resonates as a powerful founding epic. But it's not the reason Mormons feel persecuted today, in my opinion.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

"When all that was promised, the Saints will be given, and none will molest them from morn until eve."

"The Wicked who fight against Zion, shall never such happiness know."

"Where none shall come, to hurt or make afraid."

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  My family goes back seven generations in Mormonism (mother's side). The persecution and trek west, etc. in the Ninetheenth Century certainly resonates as a powerful founding epic. But it's not the reason Mormons feel persecuted today, in my opinion.
                  I agree. But I think it should be viewed as an extremely cautionary tale against involvement in the hottest areas in the political sphere, especially fighting against inevitable things like Prop 8.

I think the general angst is more of a generic Christian "there all out to get us" mindset. Without a clear understanding that the other Christians that we sympathize with see us as freaks.

Comment

I just don't see that. I don't think victimhood is part of our culture. I do not recall hearing my Primary or Seminary teachers talk much about anti-LDS persecution. There's no "Remember Haun's Mill" cry that I am aware of. Persecution is part of our history, yes, but I don't think we dwell on it. Just my view. Obviously you see it differently?
                    Just for the record, I don't think that any religion built around the suffering, torture and murder of a single being more than 2000 years ago can claim that victimhood is not part of its culture. I'm just sayin!

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      "When all that was promised, the Saints will be given, and none will molest them from morn until eve."

"The Wicked who fight against Zion, shall never such happiness know."

"Where none shall come, to hurt or make afraid."
                      Good points, but my focus is on what is currently being taught. Hymns are part of that, but the ones you are quoting are very old. (Still, you're right, that's part of the culture.)
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                      X