No announcement yet.

NCAA Tourney Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twenty bucks to see New Mexico lose is almost worth it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      #2 RPI in the country goes down.

The RPI is junk science. Obviously.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        Huh?

lol. Never seen that.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Twenty bucks to see New Mexico lose is almost worth it.
          How can one find out the MWC's NCAA playoffs record? It's got to be terrible, outside of Utah. The past few years I've seen them get these high seedings and it's been unbelievable to me (I posted about this on UB5). Sure enough, some things neve change. The MWC proves its true mettle in the NCAA playoffs, year after year.

Meanwhile, the Pac 12 is the conference everyone loves to hate, for no good reason at all.

The Pac-12 will go 0-5 in the first (second) round -- Immediately after the 68 teams were announced, the Twitterverse was filled with chatter about the Pac-12’s seeding. Oregon’s slot as a 12-seed, despite its second-place finish in the Pac-12 and a tourney title, was the most puzzling placement. The league can prove its worth with a strong showing in the NCAA tournament. But I think it’ll do the opposite and struggle throughout its brief stay in March Madness. I could see the Pac-12 losing its five first-round matchups. Yep. Sounds crazy, I know. But Minnesota has the athleticism and strength inside to upset UCLA. I don’t think Oregon is better than Oklahoma State. I think Anthony Bennett will lead UNLV to a win over Cal, even though the game will be played in San Jose. Illinois will get hot and torch Colorado. And Belmont is a tough mid-major that won’t be intimidated in its upset over Arizona. That’s an 0-5 tally for that league.
          http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...the-tournament

Last year the Pac 12 got one bid -- Colorado -- which upset UNLV in the first round. Then a middling Pac 12 team won the NIT.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            The RPI is junk science. Obviously.
            Well, it is obvious except it certainly isn't science, does not pretend to be science, and it is not really junk. Other than that you nailed it.
            Last edited by pelagius; 03-21-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

How can one find out the MWC's NCAA playoffs record?
              As soon as I figure out what the NCAA playoffs are, I'll look into this.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

How can one find out the MWC's NCAA playoffs record? It's got to be terrible, outside of Utah. The past few years I've seen them get these high seedings and it's been unbelievable to me (I posted about this on UB5). Sure enough, some things neve change. The MWC proves its true mettle in the NCAA playoffs, year after year.

Meanwhile, the Pac 12 is the conference everyone loves to hate, for no good reason at all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...the-tournament

Last year the Pac 12 got one bid -- Colorado -- which upset UNLV in the first round. Then a middling Pac 12 team won the NIT.
                Utah had a terrible record too during their time in the MWC, 4-6. But it looks like Izzo's record compared to most of the rest of the MWC. UNLV is 3-7. SDSU is 2-5. New Mexico is 2-4. CSU is 1-2. Air Force is 0-2. BYU was 3-8. Wyoming is 1-1. Boise is 0-1.

Izzo's record since 2000 is 31-12. Michigan State by itself has about twice as many wins in the tournament as the MWC since it's inaugural basketball season in 2000.

Butler has as many tourney wins since 2000 as the entire MWC.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• I definitely agree that RPI is junk; UNM is only latest demonstration of that. The formula is such a mess that regardless of such real-life examples it should be obvious how inaccurate it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
                    I definitely agree that RPI is junk; UNM is only latest demonstration of that. The formula is such a mess that regardless of such real-life examples it should be obvious how inaccurate it is.
                    If a formula doesn't have a margin of victory component to it, it is virtually worthless.
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Marshall henderson is on fire

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        Marshall henderson is on fire
                        Wow. haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                          Marshall henderson is on fire
                          He'll pull himself together and Ole Miss will win.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            Wow. haha.
                            I guess Syracuse showed you your Wildcats didn't deserve an a large bid.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I guess Syracuse showed you your Wildcats didn't deserve an a large bid.
                              At large big out of the Big Sky? lol.

Forget the Big Dance, they're just happy to make the NCAA playoffs.

Comment

• Guess Marshall Henderson's favorite NBA players.

Spoiler for Marshall Henderson's favorite players:
                                "[AAU basketball] got me into head bobbing and trash-talking kind of stuff. And my favorite players in the NBA all do that stuff, like J.R. Smith. People like that. JaVale McGee. I love those kinds of players. They can put a crowd in the arena, sell some tickets. … That's what it's about."

Also, with Henderson's current shooting it isn't looking like he is going to reach his goal of gettin' paid.

"I'm trying to get paid here soon because I'm tired of doing all this stuff for free. And this is where you make your money, the NCAA tournament."
                                http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...e-mis/2006679/
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X