• Show
Clear All

I'd kill for a good chili verde recipe.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      That looks great, DT. I used to grill country style ribs all the time. Would like to try them in the smoker.

Have you ever done a bone-in pork loin? Would like to try that too.
      I have never done a bone in pork loin, but it is on the list. I used to do a fruited pork loin with apricots and a wine reduction sauce that was really good, but haven't made that in years. Maybe Christmas or New years I'll do a crown roast of pork instead of prime rib (Sorry Cowboy).
      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
        I have never done a bone in pork loin, but it is on the list. I used to do a fruited pork loin with apricots and a wine reduction sauce that was really good, but haven't made that in years. Maybe Christmas or New years I'll do a crown roast of pork instead of prime rib (Sorry Cowboy).
        I did a crown pork roast a couple of years ago complete with paper frills. that thing was pricey but man it was delicious. I did it in the oven maybe this time will do it in the smoker.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I did a crown pork roast a couple of years ago complete with paper frills. that thing was pricey but man it was delicious. I did it in the oven maybe this time will do it in the smoker.
          That would be delicious if smoked in a vertical series gravity feed smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            That would be delicious if smoked in a vertical series gravity feed smoker.
            depends, which brand are you thinking?
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              depends, which brand are you thinking?
              I forget. Schtupps or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                I'd kill for a good chili verde recipe.
                That MarkGrace thread has really increased the violent chatter around here.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Slab bacon. I made it as an app for the brisket we are having for dinner. They didn't last long. I made up a sauce that matched it pretty well. This might become part of the regular rotation.

IMG_1185.jpgIMG_1190.jpgIMG_1194.jpg
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Whoa. Deets please.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

It's really easy. It's Chris Lilly's recipe. Costco is selling full pork bellies. I took about a 3 pound slab and cut into 1" to 1.5" wide strips. I put a paste of 1/4 mustard, chili powder, brown sugar, 4 teaspoons of salt and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper slathered each piece and then put in the refrigerator. After I pulled the brisket I turned the smoker up to 275. I smoked at 275 until internal temp hit 165. I cranked it up to 350 and let it go until the internal temp hit 190. I made a dipping sauce to compliment it. I made it up as I went but it was kind of a vinegary citrus dipping sauce that went really well together. My kids and nephews (all under 8) along with my parents and siblings devoured them.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                        It's really easy. It's Chris Lilly's recipe. Costco is selling full pork bellies. I took about a 3 pound slab and cut into 1" to 1.5" wide strips. I put a paste of 1/4 mustard, chili powder, brown sugar, 4 teaspoons of salt and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper slathered each piece and then put in the refrigerator. After I pulled the brisket I turned the smoker up to 275. I smoked at 275 until internal temp hit 165. I cranked it up to 350 and let it go until the internal temp hit 190. I made a dipping sauce to compliment it. I made it up as I went but it was kind of a vinegary citrus dipping sauce that went really well together. My kids and nephews (all under 8) along with my parents and siblings devoured them.
                        Why the two stages of the cook? Why not leave it at 275 until 190? Or start it at 350?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          Why the two stages of the cook? Why not leave it at 275 until 190? Or start it at 350?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          The recipe actually says to keep it at 275 the whole time, but this meat has a high fat content and is soft. I wanted a charred and more firm outside while still getting some smoke on it. The reverse sear works well for what I was looking for, but I'm sure it would be great just staying at 275 the whole way.

Comment

I picked up a 4 pound dry cured pack of bacon at Costco this weekend. Just on a whim I decided to throw them on the smoker with my homemade rib rub and some of BPS JalapeƱo rub sprinkled over each slice. Smoked at 250 for 40 minutes and the increased to 350 for 20 minutes to crisp up. Wow. Bacon to 11. So good.

Comment

Dinner tonight. Pork belly burnt ends. So good.

418EF919-A2F2-49D7-8C40-95271EF4BF09.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                                Dinner tonight. Pork belly burnt ends. So good.

[ATTACH]9252[/ATTACH]
                                i did pork belly burnt ends a few weeks ago. they were really good, but i felt like they could have been better. how did you do yours?
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X