No announcement yet.

We need a thread on other pork dishes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need a thread on other pork dishes.

One of the few Filipino foods I really like is liempo. Liempo is marinated pork belly that is grilled and served with a spiced vinegar dipping sauce. It is about 3/4 of an inch thick. I've never made it, but I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow.

Here is the recipe I'm using. http://kusinacook.blogspot.com/2013/...po-recipe.html

Step 4 in the to grill section confirms that this is an authentic recipe.

Post your non pulled pork, ribs, and bacon adventures here.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Love the Philippines and love the Filipinos, but the cuisine ranks at or near the bottom of all the cuisines in Asia and Southeast Asia.

I think there is a thread on this board (or maybe it was on CG?) where I rave about Vietnamese grilled pork patties, called Bun Nem Nuong, and I know Lebowski has become quite a connoisseur of them as well. I couldn't find the thread after a few meager searches but Bun Nem Nuong is one of the best pork-based dishes I've ever had in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      Love the Philippines and love the Filipinos, but the cuisine ranks at or near the bottom of all the cuisines in Asia and Southeast Asia.

I think there is a thread on this board (or maybe it was on CG?) where I rave about Vietnamese grilled pork patties, called Bun Nem Nuong, and I know Lebowski has become quite a connoisseur of them as well. I couldn't find the thread after a few meager searches but Bun Nem Nuong is one of the best pork-based dishes I've ever had in my life.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...th-Vermicelli)
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

There are very few Filipino dishes that I like. I think Vietnamese is best Asian cuisine. However, my wife loves Filipino so I make liempo, Filipino pork bbq and adobo. Keeps her sane and keeps me from starving.

I absolutely love Bun Nem Nuong. I should find a recipe.

edit.......I need to use the one JL linked.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Tonight's dinner. Pork belly two different ways. Both delish.

image.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

My sis wanted pork belly for her birthday dinner. I have only smoked pork belly one time before and I thought it was just ok.

These are rubbed with Plowboy's Yard Bird rub and the skin is rubbed with olive oil and sea salt. We'll see how it turns out.

On the bright side, I has to buy the whole case if pork belly so I have 38lbs of belly to make bacon with.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Just came off the smoker. Going to FTC until dinner. I'll prob crisp up the skin a little more on my parents gasser. Tastes great.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Looks amazing.
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Final pics.

Taste was good; very rich. The cracklings on top were everyone's favorite. I'd like to try this with an Asian marinade.

Comment

Looks really good, DT.

One of my favorite dishes here is the slab of bacon at a local high end steak house. The take about an 8 ounce cut of pork belly, marinate it overnight and the char grill it over mesquite. It is so tender and delicious. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

The one thing Filipinos do well is pork belly. It is sold in every grocery store and everyone knows how to cook it right. Just about every day my lunch is liempo which is roasted belly. So good and so cheap.
                    Last edited by CJF; 09-29-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I did a honey mustard pork tenderloin on the Traeger this evening with very good results--surprisingly moist and excellent flavor. I used the recipe in the Traeger book that came with the smoker. It said to cook at 325 for 30 to 40 minutes or until an internal temp of 160, but it took nearly an hour to hit 145, which was good enough as I didn't want it well done. I've used hickory exclusively in my four attempts to date but I'll try mesquite next time. I wish I had local access to more pellet types.

Bad luck for the second time with asparagus, which once again I left on the grill longer than I should have (30+ minutes when 20-25 would have been plenty). I don't really love asparagus anyway so I think I'll focus on meats for now. That said, I'm going to try bread before too long.

I'm really enjoying my rookie year in Traegering and looking forward to more.

Comment

My wife bought some country style pork rib (which is basically sliced pork butt) to "experiment" with making chile verde. Having had her "experiments" before, I decided to intervene before she got home from work.

I fired up the smoker to a temp of 275, rubbed the pork ribs with BPS "Money" rub and onto the smoker they went. About an hour and a half later they were at 155-160 so I put them in a foil pan with a mixture if apple juice and BBQ sauce and cover tightly with foil. About 45 min later they were at 185-190 so I removed them from the pan and places them back on the smoker and glazed with a mixture of BBQ sauce and honey and let the glaze set.

Turned out great for an impromptu meal. Served with rice and roasted bell peppers in a balsamic dressing.

Comment

That looks good but what happened to the chili verde? Is your wife's recipe not solid? Chili verde sounds good
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            That looks good but what happened to the chili verde? Is your wife's recipe not solid? Chili verde sounds good
                            She has never made it before. She had no recipe. I wasn't about to subject myself and the kids to that. Would it have been good? We will never know.

Comment

That looks great, DT. I used to grill country style ribs all the time. Would like to try them in the smoker.

Have you ever done a bone-in pork loin? Would like to try that too.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                              X