BYU Hoops 2013-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
    Don't we have another center coming back from a mission next year? I remember a guy who was raw but athletic, had good length and would be back with KC.
    Austin Nielson?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      Austin Nielson?
      Isn't it Isaac Nelson?

I believe it is and he returns home from his mission in like October or November so I assume he will either walk on or grayshirt the second semester. If he walks on for one semester I think he can practice with the team and have access to all the gym facilities, I am not sure what the rules are if he grayshirts. In either case he will not be on the roster until 2014-2015.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
        Isn't it Isaac Nelson?

I believe it is and he returns home from his mission in like October or November so I assume he will either walk on or grayshirt the second semester. If he walks on for one semester I think he can practice with the team and have access to all the gym facilities, I am not sure what the rules are if he grayshirts. In either case he will not be on the roster until 2014-2015.
        That sounds right. We won't see him until the next season. I just remember him being interesting as a prospect because he was considered better than either Austin or Harward and brought great length and lift to the center spot.

Comment

So it turns out this is Halford's second year at SLCC, so he'll be a junior next year:

Halford, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder who will have two years to play two at BYU, said he had several other offers but decided on BYU for a variety of reasons.
          An all-stater out of Timpanogos High, Halford walked on at Utah State his freshman year and ended up redshirting the 2008-09 season. After a church mission to Brazil, he wanted to return to USU, he said, but the Aggies didn't have a scholarship for him after telling him before he left that they would.

Disappointed, he enrolled at SLCC thinking he could play there a year and then return to USU. But that didn't happen, so he played a second year at SLCC, currently ranked No. 6 in the nation in the juco polls.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsby...coach.html.csp

Comment

Originally posted by danstanblue View Post
            So it turns out this is Halford's second year at SLCC, so he'll be a junior next year:

Halford, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder who will have two years to play two at BYU, said he had several other offers but decided on BYU for a variety of reasons.
            An all-stater out of Timpanogos High, Halford walked on at Utah State his freshman year and ended up redshirting the 2008-09 season. After a church mission to Brazil, he wanted to return to USU, he said, but the Aggies didn't have a scholarship for him after telling him before he left that they would.

Disappointed, he enrolled at SLCC thinking he could play there a year and then return to USU. But that didn't happen, so he played a second year at SLCC, currently ranked No. 6 in the nation in the juco polls.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsby...coach.html.csp
            Boo on that. Not thrilled that he is a two for two. I don't want to read between the lines but this seems like insurance if rumors are to be believed.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              Boo on that. Not thrilled that he is a two for two. I don't want to read between the lines but this seems like insurance if rumors are to be believed.
              If Carlino tucks and runs at this point, he's a nancy.
              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

He would be leaving to play one year somewhere else. I find that scenario highly unlikely.
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  He would be leaving to play one year somewhere else. I find that scenario highly unlikely.
                  unless he plays down a division.
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                    Unless he really hates his situation he shouldn't go. He would be leaving a starting spot at BYU with no one pushing him for minutes for the foreseeable future. As long as he doesn't self-destruct (no guarantee), he'll be on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      A lot more difficult to play down a division in college hoops, it seems everybody is D-1.
                      *Banned*

Comment

Watching the interview on True Blue his body language and words out of his mouth were very discouraging. He looked like he wanted to quit right there.
                        ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          A lot more difficult to play down a division in college hoops, it seems everybody is D-1.
                          No doubt. The only lower division schools in the area(that I know of) Dixie, Mesa St., Grand Canyon, Albertson's, Colorado School of Mines.
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            SLCC has an opening.
                            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              Smith, Haws, Taylor, Usevitch I believe were all starters 1987-1988 and were all RMs.
                              I remember reading an article as a kid (SI, I think) that mentioned how they all spoke their mission language (Spanish) on the court.
                              Poor Jeff Chapman. Talk about being the odd-man-out.

BTW, I have a soft spot in my heart for Ladell Anderson. He's a very nice, unassuming guy.
                              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                                I remember reading an article as a kid (SI, I think) that mentioned how they all spoke their mission language (Spanish) on the court.
                                Poor Jeff Chapman. Talk about being the odd-man-out.

BTW, I have a soft spot in my heart for Ladell Anderson. He's a very nice, unassuming guy.
                                LaDell's Utah accent was so thick, it was another language too.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Working...
                                X