BYU Hoops 2013-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU Hoops 2013-2014

Now that this disapointing year is almost in the books we can start a thread about next year.

I think that 2013 was disapointing for a few reasons:

1.) We are BYU. The reality is Dave Rose lifted our expectations to levels not really historically seen at BYU. I often spoke of the glory period of BYU hoops years ago when I could see Rose had a squad with a great deal of good LDS talent, most of whom chose not to serve missions. I think this has been good for us to get a bit recalibrated as to where BYU stands.

2.) Recruiting. While I think Rose missed here or there the reality is other than Jordan Loveridge or perhaps the ponytailed Bachynski at ASU, I see little by way of what he missed as far as kids he had a shot at. However, the talent at BYU is not real good right now. It is not horrendous either but to return to where BYU was most of the Rose tenure it needs a shot in the arm of talented basketball players. This year BYU will lose one in Davies and gain at least two in Mika and Collinsworth. Obviously, there are some concerns about how much those guys will be able to contribute as either a true freshman or as a recently returned RM, but having 4 legitimately talented basketball players instead of 3 will be a plus, I think.

3.) Bad luck and injuries. Not just to Chris Collinsworth and Stephan Rogers, but to the other injuries to Anson Winder, Raul Delgado and Nate Austin that negatively impacted their ability to develop in the off-season, but honestly I don't think this is nearly as big of an impact as we would like to think. I think it might have helped BYU to be a bit marginally better and possibly be positioned as a solid NCAA tourney team like last year but I don't think they would be good enough for anyone to think they could compete and win in a first round game.

Now onto next year.

1.) JC infusion. Obviously last year's JC infusions did not infuse much. I think Augie is going to just fill a scholarship for another year. I think Delgado could be a contributor off the bench but that is the limit of physical ability I see in those guys. The only JC's I have heard BYU is pursuing to any extent is Skyler Halford and Sai Tummalla both at SLCC. I don't know if there are others and I don't know if those two are really being pursued by BYU or if they are interested in coming to BYU. We shall see. However, for the sake of discussion I will assume both are being pursued and both sign with BYU. Hence, my for-the-sake-of-discussion BYU roster is such:

Delgado - SR
    Ambrosino - SR
    Halford - JR
    Carlino - JR
    Haws - JR
    Austin - JR
    Sharp - JR
    Winder - JR
    Collinsworth - SO
    Tummalla - SO
    Harward - SO
    Mika - FR
    Worthington - FR

I think the starters/backups will be such:
    1.) Carlino, Halford
    2.) Haws, Delgado
    3.) Tummalla, Winder
    4.) Collinsworth, Sharp,
    5.) Mika, Austin

I think Harward, Worthington and Ambrosino will see the court very rarely and likely Worthington could see the most of the rares when BYU needs a PF who has some beef to bang. I doubt Harward or Augie ever touch the court during meaningful minutes.

Once again BYU will depend on where Carlino goes. If he finds consistency and plays to his ability every night, or at least most nights/more frequently than he has this year, BYU could be a solid team that makes the dance and is crushed in the first round. I think the starting 5 I put up would be significantly more athletic than this year's team and if BYU inserts Halford by taking out Tummalla or Collinsworth (I think Tummalla could play the 4 for BYU when needed but I do think Kyle C is a better overall fit for the position and Tummalla is a better perimeter shooter so better to keep him on the perimeter) then BYU has a shot of having some decent perimeter shooting. However, I do think that when BYU goes with that lineup that improves perimeter shooting they are giving up a great deal athletically and will be exposed defensively. I actually think the starting 5 could be a decent defensive team but I think they could really struggle to score the ball in the half court game even if Carlino is improved and consistent. I just look at that lineup and see one really good offensive player in Haws, one with decent talent in Carlino but when he tries to do too much (which I think likely next year given the paucity of other offensive options) can hurt the team, a good spot up shooter off the bench in Halford who I think will be athletically challenged at the next level and without a dominant post presence his open looks will be limited, a kid in Kyle C who can get offensive boards and get into the paint but is limited by being a poor jump shooter, a kid in Tummalla who might be good someday but is likely to just lack the experience to do a great deal next year, a true freshman big who I think is a great athlete and likely to impact the game but not somebody who BYU can count on to score in halfcourt sets, and then a glut of solid role players none of whom can score much at all.

Defensively, I do think BYU will improve next year just due to me thinking the team will be more physically talented as far as pure athleticism goes. I think Tummalla and Collinsworth are huge step ups in the athleticism department. But I don't think they will be step ups at all as far as the ability to score the ball.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I think that 2013 was disapointing for a few reasons:

1.) We are BYU.

Yes we are and since coming to that conclusion losses have been much easier to take. Days used to be the pattern, now it's minutes.

I still wonder why we can't get more talent especially land all the great LDS talent. My guess is a lot of LDS people feel comfortable as a mormon in their own ward or someone else's ward, but not so much at BYU. Some people don't feel like being "uber" mormon.

That isn't a knock, just reality. Anybody who has their kid get into BYU can put a real feather in their cap. Odds are better the kid will go on a mission. Odds are better the kid will marry in the faith. Odds are better they will have a kid by the time they are a Jr. in college. All those odds add up to them being active and you don't have to worry about someone getting them on drugs, well at least not as much.

However, it does lead back to when it comes to athletics, we are who we are.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      Yes we are and since coming to that conclusion losses have been much easier to take. Days used to be the pattern, now it's minutes.

I still wonder why we can't get more talent especially land all the great LDS talent. My guess is a lot of LDS people feel comfortable as a mormon in their own ward or someone else's ward, but not so much at BYU. Some people don't feel like being "uber" mormon.

That isn't a knock, just reality. Anybody who has their kid get into BYU can put a real feather in their cap. Odds are better the kid will go on a mission. Odds are better the kid will marry in the faith. Odds are better they will have a kid by the time they are a Jr. in college. All those odds add up to them being active and you don't have to worry about someone getting them on drugs, well at least not as much.

However, it does lead back to when it comes to athletics, we are who we are.
      Over the last 2-3 years, which LDS talent have we missed out on (other than Jabari)?
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Over the last 2-3 years, which LDS talent have we missed out on (other than Jabari)?
        I am doing a combo comment. BB and FB. How about Loveridge? I don't know if I follow it close enough to know the others. Maybe they don't look so good in HS, but every year I see an LDS kid on another team and think, "I would like to have that kid". I also see some kids on these WCC teams that aren't LDS I would like to have. Why do you think they would rather play in a peanut gym than the MC?

Comment

That is the point of we are who we are. BYU hasn't missed much LDS talent and the talent at BYU is down.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

That is the point of we are who we are. BYU hasn't missed much LDS talent and the talent at BYU is down.
            Even without Jabari the 2013 class is 15th best in the nation and the 2014 class (which doesn't have Dastrup -- yet) is ranked 8th according to Scout.com

Comment

I am doing a combo comment. BB and FB. How about Loveridge? I don't know if I follow it close enough to know the others. Maybe they don't look so good in HS, but every year I see an LDS kid on another team and think, "I would like to have that kid". I also see some kids on these WCC teams that aren't LDS I would like to have. Why do you think they would rather play in a peanut gym than the MC?
              BYU has decent non-LDS talent. BYU rarely has really good non-LDS players. There have been the rare exception. Usually, really good BYU teams are comprised of one or two really good, NBA or marginal NBA talent, LDS players reinforced by good role players let they be mormon or not. In fact I think it is the middle gap that is really hurting BYU right now. If your stars are your A players and your role players your C players, BYU has no "B" players. They have some C players masquerading as B players but that is their issue. Next year I believe Collinsworth will be a legitimate B player and I hope Tummalla and Mika can be that as well. Truth be told I haven't give up hope that Mika could develop into a B+ player by the time BYU gets into conference play. But I am the King of Wishful Thinking!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Even without Jabari the 2013 class is 15th best in the nation and the 2014 class (which doesn't have Dastrup -- yet) is ranked 8th according to Scout.com
                The future is bright but all of these kids are going on missions. One recruit that could change some short term trajectory would be Brekkot Chapman. I don't think BYU will get him but if they did and he developed BYU could have some really good teams for a year or two before they should have to rely upon Emery and Mika.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

BYU has decent non-LDS talent. BYU rarely has really good non-LDS players. There have been the rare exception. Usually, really good BYU teams are comprised of one or two really good, NBA or marginal NBA talent, LDS players reinforced by good role players let they be mormon or not. In fact I think it is the middle gap that is really hurting BYU right now. If your stars are your A players and your role players your C players, BYU has no "B" players. They have some C players masquerading as B players but that is their issue. Next year I believe Collinsworth will be a legitimate B player and I hope Tummalla and Mika can be that as well. Truth be told I haven't give up hope that Mika could develop into a B+ player by the time BYU gets into conference play. But I am the King of Wishful Thinking!
                  My guess is you can't have 4 RM's on the floor as your starting line up and get past the first round or even win a conference championship. I haven't looked, so I expect to be corrected, especially with either Jimmer team or the one that had Michael Smith and Toolson on.

Comment

My guess is you can't have 4 RM's on the floor as your starting line up and get past the first round or even win a conference championship. I haven't looked, so I expect to be corrected, especially with either Jimmer team or the one that had Michael Smith and Toolson on.
                    Jimmer's club had two RM starters in Noah and Jax. The other starters were Davies, Kyle C and him or Kyle C, Chuck and Himself.

Smith's club actually had 4 RMs in Taylor, Toolsen, Smith and Jim "Useful" Usevic. I am really interested to see how this works out with these back to back good years. I think BYU will land Dastrup. I don't think BYU has ever had a two years of hoops recruiting where they landed 4 kids as highly recruited as Mika, Emery, Haws and Dastrup. Throw in what I think are some solid B type of players in Hartsock, Shaw and Nixon and the future is very bright. If they can land Brekkot Chapman I would do cartwheels and spoon with you and Indy like we were Dark Ages French and Flemmish farmers trying to hybernate the long winter away!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Smith, Haws, Taylor, Usevitch I believe were all starters 1987-1988 and were all RMs.

Comment

Jimmer's club had two RM starters in Noah and Jax. The other starters were Davies, Kyle C and him or Kyle C, Chuck and Himself.

Smith's club actually had 4 RMs in Taylor, Toolsen, Smith and Jim "Useful" Usevic. I am really interested to see how this works out with these back to back good years. I think BYU will land Dastrup. I don't think BYU has ever had a two years of hoops recruiting where they landed 4 kids as highly recruited as Mika, Emery, Haws and Dastrup. Throw in what I think are some solid B type of players in Hartsock, Shaw and Nixon and the future is very bright. If they can land Brekkot Chapman I would do cartwheels and spoon with you and Indy like we were Dark Ages French and Flemmish farmers trying to hybernate the long winter away!

No sure I know what "spooning is", but I am pretty dang sure I am too old for it.

Comment

Tell me more about Sai Tummalla.

Comment

Autopsy report on 2012/13:

1. Injuries to Collinsworth and Rogers.
                            2. Carlino's lack of development.

Rose seems like he's got the program to a position where we can expect to be a 7-12 seed in a typical year, which was what this looked like. A spike year we will do better and in a rebuilding year we'll be worse. This looked like it should be more like a typical year, than either a spike year or rebuilding year, going in.

If either #1 or #2 go in our favor this year, we probably meet expectations. It's a bummer, but I'm not too upset. We've had a great NCAA streak, and we'll get another one going next year.

I am a little concerned about how poor we've looked defensively, but everything in basketball is so intertwined, you can't pick things apart like that. ie Rose might decide to go with a lineup that's going to score an extra four points a game even though he's going to give up an extra three points to do it.

Comment

Delgado - SR
                              Ambrosino - SR
                              Halford - JR
                              Carlino - JR
                              Haws - JR
                              Austin - JR
                              Sharp - JR
                              Winder - JR
                              Collinsworth - SO
                              Tummalla - SO
                              Harward - SO
                              Mika - FR
                              Worthington - FR

I think the starters/backups will be such:
                              1.) Carlino, Halford
                              2.) Haws, Delgado
                              3.) Tummalla, Winder
                              4.) Collinsworth, Sharp,
                              5.) Mika, Austin

I think Harward, Worthington and Ambrosino will see the court very rarely and likely Worthington could see the most of the rares when BYU needs a PF who has some beef to bang. I doubt Harward or Augie ever touch the court during meaningful minutes.

Once again BYU will depend on where Carlino goes. If he finds consistency and plays to his ability every night, or at least most nights/more frequently than he has this year, BYU could be a solid team that makes the dance and is crushed in the first round. I think the starting 5 I put up would be significantly more athletic than this year's team and if BYU inserts Halford by taking out Tummalla or Collinsworth (I think Tummalla could play the 4 for BYU when needed but I do think Kyle C is a better overall fit for the position and Tummalla is a better perimeter shooter so better to keep him on the perimeter) then BYU has a shot of having some decent perimeter shooting. However, I do think that when BYU goes with that lineup that improves perimeter shooting they are giving up a great deal athletically and will be exposed defensively. I actually think the starting 5 could be a decent defensive team but I think they could really struggle to score the ball in the half court game even if Carlino is improved and consistent. I just look at that lineup and see one really good offensive player in Haws, one with decent talent in Carlino but when he tries to do too much (which I think likely next year given the paucity of other offensive options) can hurt the team, a good spot up shooter off the bench in Halford who I think will be athletically challenged at the next level and without a dominant post presence his open looks will be limited, a kid in Kyle C who can get offensive boards and get into the paint but is limited by being a poor jump shooter, a kid in Tummalla who might be good someday but is likely to just lack the experience to do a great deal next year, a true freshman big who I think is a great athlete and likely to impact the game but not somebody who BYU can count on to score in halfcourt sets, and then a glut of solid role players none of whom can score much at all.

Defensively, I do think BYU will improve next year just due to me thinking the team will be more physically talented as far as pure athleticism goes. I think Tummalla and Collinsworth are huge step ups in the athleticism department. But I don't think they will be step ups at all as far as the ability to score the ball.
                              I look at this lineup, and I'm just not sure where we're going to score points. I don't know about these SLCC guys, but if all we're doing is trading Davies and Zylstra for Mika and Collinsworth, we have no chance to be better offensively.

Comment

Working...
                              X