Another City Creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Maybe the development will help to make the rest of the ranch financially viable.
    Is it not currently? They've owned the land and ranch for at least half a century, which is a long time to own it in an unviable way.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
      Whatever mixed-use means, I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean cannery. That would be a single use. Maybe MTC, since you would have people both living and working on the site, but I'm positive it doesn't mean cannery.
      What if it were a cannery that they wanted to have some apartment buildings near in order to ship older couples from Utah to live in while working at the cannery?

Or what if there were some other operation in association with the cannery that fits a different zoning type? Maybe they want to build a stockyard to hold the cows before they knock them over the head and turn them into beef stew.

I'm just saying it could be many things. Some of them more understandable than others - of course.

Comment

Is it not currently? They've owned the land and ranch for at least half a century, which is a long time to own it in an unviable way.
        Things can change. Maybe it used to be viable and is less so now.

Or maybe Elder Jed was out shooting at some food and out from the ground came a bubbling crude...and they want to put in some wells.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          I thought that a recent article on the church's cow/calf operation there included some speculation on the church developing some of the land.
          I'd be interested to see that if you come across it. The above article doesn't attribute the mention of a mixed-use development to anyone, just states it as a fact.

Comment

And the Church (or church owned real estate arm) develops real estate all over. City Creek may be the biggest and brightest, but it's certainly not the only. The Church is currently developing a large parcel out on the west side of the valley and owns a ton of land all around the airport that it has provisional plans for. In the northeast end of the Kansas City metro area the Church has developed very large areas with retail and residential.
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
              And the Church (or church owned real estate arm) develops real estate all over. City Creek may be the biggest and brightest, but it's certainly not the only. The Church is currently developing a large parcel out on the west side of the valley and owns a ton of land all around the airport that it has provisional plans for. In the northeast end of the Kansas City metro area the Church has developed very large areas with retail and residential.
              Do their leases disallow alcohol sales like (I'm under the impression) City Creek does?

I think I always assumed that the Church was more passive with its real estate holdings, i.e., buying undeveloped land, holding it, maybe putting welfare-oriented (cattle ranches, beet farms) or other church mission-promoting developments on it, and then later selling it to developers. Active, aggressive and even speculative real estate development never really crossed my mind.

Comment

Whatever mixed-use means, I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean cannery. That would be a single use. Maybe MTC, since you would have people both living and working on the site, but I'm positive it doesn't mean cannery.
                Am I the first person to think: BYU-Florida? Has a nice ring to it, no?
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                  Make it a JC feeder school and I'm in.

Comment

Y'all are thinking too small. Mormon World Amusement Park.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      Y'all are thinking too small. Mormon World Amusement Park.
                      That was my first thought. Book of Mormon Land. I mean, this is near Orlando right? It would be right next to Disney. They could have a tapir petting zoo next to the Pirates of Zarahemla boat ride.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                        Does this need to move to the Big-12 thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          That was my first thought. Book of Mormon Land. I mean, this is near Orlando right? It would be right next to Disney. They could have a tapir petting zoo next to the Pirates of Zarahemla boat ride.
                          Dang it Moliere, I just spit water on my keyboard!
                          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

What I'm wondering is, what does "mixed-used development" mean? To me "mixed-use" (I think that's really how it should read) means apartments, offices, shopping, etc. a la City Creek Center. There's even mention of putting a train stop in there. Is the Church's real estate arm looking to replicate City Creek in other locations across the country? If so, shouldn't this be a major news story? Was it and I just missed it?
                            Yearning for Zion II?

I initially think of something like the Daybreak community in the SLC area when I think of mixed-use developments of that size. They can have residential, retail, parks, schools, etc. I don't know what Orlando population growth is, but a community like that might have an interest in access to a rail line (which might explain why the author of the article mentions such interest). Like some have pointed out, that is a pretty big chunk of land, even for something like that.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

First there was City Creek... Now the church is building a city:

Paul Rolly: Mormon church moves to build a city in Florida

The Mormon church is going to Disney World.

The church-owned Deseret Ranches is going through the bureaucratic process in Florida to win approval to transform rural farmland, used for 65 years to raise cattle, into a metropolis of a half-million residents within a 133,000-acre corner of Osceola County, not far from Orange County, the home of the world-renowned Disney resort in Orlando.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the project would be the biggest development ever planned in Florida. The Sentinel reported the Florida Department of Environmental Protection issued a statement saying the development would cause no "adverse impacts" to water, wetlands and wilderness.
                              [...]
                              http://www.sltrib.com/news/2709720-1...hurch-moves-to
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I am trying to muster up some righteous indignation, or fiery fervor over this but all I am getting is 'meh'. The kingdom of God shall roll forth... blah, blah, blah.
                                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X