No announcement yet.

Another City Creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The church had to do something with the land as development around the ranch was heading toward loss of many acres through eminent domain. Looks like they decided to develop it themselves. Smart move.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
      The church had to do something with the land as development around the ranch was heading toward loss of many acres through eminent domain. Looks like they decided to develop it themselves. Smart move.
      Just another example of our leaders foreseeing the inevitable and acting accordingly.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

It's supposed to be the same sex marriage that threatens the church's tax exempt status.
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          How would eminent domain affect the ranch. I would think the state and the people in the area would like a large undeveloped area around Orlando.

Comment

When we joined PH's family and a couple of others for an Orlando visit two years ago, I was surprised how many (hundreds, and perhaps thousands) of cheap rental housing units were available. A lot of them were owned by Brits. We got a nearly new, well-furnished five-bedroom house for less than $100 a night, if I recall correctly. I'm pleased the Church is doing its part to keep down our rental costs next time my grandkids need to visit Harry Potter World.

Comment

As if City Creek wasn't enough of a terrific idea, the church has somehow managed to top it by thinking about building a city for half a million people, 0 of which currently have plans to move there. The Chinese have considerable recent experience building vacant cities and that's turned out well for them.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Note that Deseret Ranch is not a tax-exempt entity like the church proper. It pays taxes, including property taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  As if City Creek wasn't enough of a terrific idea, the church has somehow managed to top it by thinking about building a city for half a million people, 0 of which currently have plans to move there. The Chinese have considerable recent experience building vacant cities and that's turned out well for them.
                  Has City Creek been a financial failure?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Has City Creek been a financial failure?
                    I am sure it is doing better than Beneficial Life.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      This could be the church's best investment yet... thanks to Al Gore and climate change this could all turn into ocean front property:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                        I am trying to muster up some righteous indignation, or fiery fervor over this but all I am getting is 'meh'. The kingdom of God shall roll forth... blah, blah, blah.
                        Meh for me also. They already own the land. If they think development is a better use of the land, great. It doesn't bother me as much as city creek.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Swish!
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

I look forward to future battles between the church development near Orlando, and the scientologist seizure of Clearwater, 100 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                              How would eminent domain affect the ranch. I would think the state and the people in the area would like a large undeveloped area around Orlando.
                              Should the government seize the property, wouldn't it be nice if they had to compensate the Church for a valuable commercial/residential property rather than a vacant lot/agricultural ground?
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

My cousin worked on the. Church ranch in Florida for some time. Drove from Idaho to Florida. If I was more proactive in Republican Party would not of minded being delegate to Republican Natinal Convention. Went there to discuss Religioin and no politics. Next trip politics no religion. I never did. Haven,t been to Florida since my mission.

The ranch was in my mission but I never served in the Cocoa area myself. Did some work in Kissimmee, that was as close as I got to ranch. Lake Wales was not too far from Ranch either. If I go back would be to do what I couldn,t do as Elder Vine. Seems like Real Estate would be better deal than all of it in ranching. My mp was rancher from Louisiana and Texas and was not impressed with the church ranch cattle.

It is not a welfare ranch but ran by the for profit corporation and they pay taxes required by Law. Thugh some welfare may come from them they sell to stores just like any other rancher does. I know of some people that thought the church had competitive edge when they asked missionaries to fix things rather than paying proffesional mechanic, plumber and like.

The profits from church. Owned businesses pay church operating expenses for some time and provide GA living allowances.

Comment

Working...
                                X