No announcement yet.

Backpacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SB, you are killing me. I am so sick of winter.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

That's a steal. What kind of fuel does it use? It looks like it just screws onto the typical iso canisters.
      It is an incredible deal. Yes, it just screws right on to a small iso container. $4 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I took an MSR Whisperlite Shaker white gas stove on this trip. I like my stove well enough, but it took about half as much time to boil water with this cheapo Amazon piezoelectric stove than with my MSR. And it cost about 1/10th the price and takes up about 1/4th the space in a pack.

Great deal. If they still have it I would jump all over it. I may even pick up a second one to save for future use.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        It is an incredible deal. Yes, it just screws right on to a small iso container. $4 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I took an MSR Whisperlite Shaker white gas stove on this trip. I like my stove well enough, but it took about half as much time to boil water with this cheapo Amazon piezoelectric stove than with my MSR. And it cost about 1/10th the price and takes up about 1/4th the space in a pack.

Great deal. If they still have it I would jump all over it. I may even pick up a second one to save for future use.
        Just bought one. $9.94. Thanks, guys!
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I don't think it's going anywhere. There are a few sellers on Amazon (Prime, too!) that are offering it. I just snatched up a few anyway. Thanks!
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Just bought one. $9.94. Thanks, guys!
            Dang. Might have to pick up some for the 72 hour kit.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              No kidding - I thought I might add something to this thread, but I'm hesitant to add photos to try to compete with these.
              I appreciate all the kind words, but I promise you it's the setting and not the photographer. Goose can back me up here, but I'm certain you could send a monkey up there with a sketch pad and he'd come out with some amazing pics. It is just an incredibly beautiful place.

When they made it to that rock wall on the other side, they got out of the water right by the white high water mark. Our buddy climbed the wall to a ledge and dove in to the lake. I watched him the whole time, from the time he first exited the water to the time he was up on the ledge. He is a big dude, probably 6'5" or so. The ledge where he stood was MAYBE a head height above his head when he was standing at the edge of the water. So even if he was standing a foot above lake level, the ledge was at most 10' up, more likely 8-9' up. When they got back they asked if I had seen him dive in, saying it was crazy high - at least 15-20'. Yeah, sure guys. Insane. Jumping off a rock that is lower than the high dive at the swimming pool.
              Dude, your brain was still frozen. It was 20 feet!

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              SB, you are killing me. I am so sick of winter.
              I've got spring fever, can't wait to get out again.

Comment

New lightweight backpacking stove: No brand name. distributed by some random guy in Taiwan. Killer deal - $9, including shipping. Weighs 2.9 oz.
                That is essentially the same pocket rocket that MSR sells for $30-40. Sweet deal.

http://www.rei.com/product/660163/ms...3-001b2166becc
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

This grease dispenser made by imusa but sold under the name "Mainstays" (or something close to that) at Walmart makes a fantastic and very cheap cook kit. It's aluminum, but quite light. The $4 iso fuel container and the amazon stove fit into it perfectly. $6.99 at Walmart in the kitchen section.

Comment

One thing about those stoves -

Since they do come from Hong Kong, or china or wherever, they estimate a longer shipping time. Mine took all of 4-6 weeks, as I recall.

I see that there are some other vendors that are now selling them. Not sure if they are the same stove or not, but if you need it in the next little while you may want to look into another supplier.

Comment

you guys are killing me. My wife was already talking about trying to do the John Muir Trial this summer, though I think it will wait till next year. Still I need to get out for a few trips this year.

Wales Lake (2 years ago):

and me and some friends resting on the top of Mt Williamson, the 2nd highest peak in the Sierra, with Mt Russell in the background.

Comment

I know the feeling, BP. When I hiked to the top of Cloud's Peak in the Bighorn Mountains I was suffering badly from the altitude. When we summitted I dropped like a rock and slept for about half an hour. Didn't even take a peak at the view as I was spent and sick as a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          That is essentially the same pocket rocket that MSR sells for $30-40. Sweet deal.

http://www.rei.com/product/660163/ms...3-001b2166becc
                          That was my thought as well. I've used the MSR pocket rocket for about 5 years now. Going to get one of these for a back-up/replacement.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

I know the feeling, BP. When I hiked to the top of Cloud's Peak in the Bighorn Mountains I was suffering badly from the altitude. When we summitted I dropped like a rock and slept for about half an hour. Didn't even take a peak at the view as I was spent and sick as a dog.
                            When did you hike Cloud Peak? I've been meaning to get back to the CPW for sometime now. That's my favorite place to backpack. Thinking about doing the Solitude Trail loop with a hike up to Cloup Peak.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              you guys are killing me. My wife was already talking about trying to do the John Muir Trial this summer, though I think it will wait till next year. Still I need to get out for a few trips this year.

Wales Lake (2 years ago):

and me and some friends resting on the top of Mt Williamson, the 2nd highest peak in the Sierra, with Mt Russell in the background.
                              Dang, Wales lake looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                                When did you hike Cloud Peak? I've been meaning to get back to the CPW for sometime now. That's my favorite place to backpack. Thinking about doing the Solitude Trail loop with a hike up to Cloup Peak.
                                It's been 14-15 years since I was last there. It was during a 2 week break while I was going to graduate school. My wife was in New York for some work training so I met my FIL and two BILs there for a 4 day trip. My FIL was working as a forest ranger in the Bighorns. They had a seasonal camp hidden away up in the mountains above Helen Lake where we stayed.

I've been there twice, but haven't really explored much, as both of our trips we used Helen as our base camp. Great area, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X