No announcement yet.

Backpacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great write up. Thanks. I’m supposed to climb Whitney in August. But I’m in crappy shape this year so im not too sure.

As to elevation sickness I have one word: Diamox. I’ve been as high as 19,350 and over 15k a couple of times. Every time I’ve gone over 12k I take diamox. I have never had any issues at all. But I can also go up to 11k without issue, so I’m not sure if The Diamox does it or if I’m just lucky.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• South San Juan Solo Backpacking Trip

Spent four days in the South San Juan Wilderness in SW Colorado on a solo backpacking trip and thought I'd share a few pics. I hiked an 18-mile loop with the first 6 miles going up to Blue Lake on the CDT, the next 6 miles on the CDT itself, and the final 6 miles back out.

Blue Lake on the CDT. Camped and fished a couple of days here. Got close to a bull moose while filtering water one morning but didn't have my iPhone/camera.
      IMG_0073[1].jpg

View of Navajo river valley from CDT.
      IMG_0075[1].jpg

On the CDT trail at about 12,200 feet.
      IMG_0080[2].jpg

Over view of the valley I hiked out of to complete loop
      IMG_0081_2.jpg
      Last edited by Paperback Writer; 09-07-2018, 11:42 PM.
      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Gorgeous scenery! I might have to do some of that myself.

Comment

• That’s beautiful.

Why solo?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            That’s beautiful.

Why solo?
            Don't mind him... he's just used to asking those personal solo questions.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

That’s beautiful.

Why solo?
              I have no friends Usually, I backpack with one or more of my sons but my annual Colorado vacation occurred later in the Summer and college classes had started. And my oldest son who graduated and got married earlier this year decided to go to Iceland with his wife rather than backpack with me But I really enjoyed backpacking solo and will continue to do so. My wife signed off on it after I got a Garmin Inreach mini GPS that has tracking and posts my location every 10 minutes. Also allows texting so I can check-in. I pair the GPS with my iPhone using Garmin's Earthmate app so I have topo maps that show my location with the resolution of an iPhone screen.

Backpacking solo also worked well on this trip since I had more vacation than my wife. While I was wandering in the wilderness, she was telecommuting. Then we took "our" vacation which has amounted to some easy day hikes , lots of shopping for native American jewelry, and visiting Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Great Sand Dunes national parks.

IMG_0093_2.jpg

IMG_0109_2.jpg
              Last edited by Paperback Writer; 09-08-2018, 12:18 AM.
              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

• Beautiful. What's the total elevation gain on that route? How much did your pack weigh?
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  Beautiful. What's the total elevation gain on that route? How much did your pack weigh?
                  The elevation gain to Blue Lake was about 1,300 feet spread out over 3-4 miles. From Blue Lake to hiking up and crossing over the continental divide was about 900 feet but seemed much greater because the climbs were shorter but steeper. I was able to handle the altitude gains on the first leg of the hike to Blue Lake much better than the second leg that went up on and over the divide. Probably due to the elevation. Blue Lake is at 11,500 feet and I crossed the divide at 12,200 feet. The depressing thing about tracking is the GPS keeps track of MPH while hiking and I was dismayed at my progress (or lack of it). Losing some more weight before next summer's backpacking trek should help greatly.

I'm not an ultalight backpacker by any means. On the trip, I carried about 40 pounds. My base pack weight is about 25 pounds. Add in about 12 pounds for food, water, and fuel and then 3 pounds of fishing gear. I continue to balance weight versus comfort with my pack but need to improve. Part of my challenge is I continue to use my old Gregory Whitney backpack which weighs about 7 pounds when many backpackers have gone to much lighter packs (2-4 pounds). I like my old backpack because it holds a bear canister with ease but the bear canister adds another 2.5 pounds. I much prefer the bear canister over hanging food bags in trees. I should probably ditch some of my fishing gear but I'm stuck in my ways. So my thinking is to get in better shape and continue to lose weight rather than lighten my backpack and give up some of the comforts and conveniences.
                  Last edited by Paperback Writer; 09-08-2018, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                    The elevation gain to Blue Lake was about 1,300 feet spread out over 3-4 miles. From Blue Lake to hiking up and crossing over the continental divide was about 900 feet but seemed much greater because the climbs were shorter but steeper. I was able to handle the altitude gains on the first leg of the hike to Blue Lake much better than the second leg that went up on and over the divide. Probably due to the elevation. Blue Lake is at 11,500 feet and I crossed the divide at 12,200 feet. The depressing thing about tracking is the GPS keeps track of MPH while hiking and I was dismayed at my progress (or lack of it). Losing some more weight before next summer's backpacking trek should help greatly.

I'm not an ultalight backpacker by any means. On the trip, I carried about 40 pounds. My base pack weight is about 25 pounds. Add in about 12 pounds for food, water, and fuel and then 3 pounds of fishing gear. I continue to balance weight versus comfort with my pack but need to improve. Part of my challenge is I continue to use my old Gregory Whitney backpack which weighs about 7 pounds when many backpackers have gone to much lighter packs (2-4 pounds). I like my old backpack because it holds a bear canister with ease but the bear canister adds another 2.5 pounds. I much prefer the bear canister over hanging food bags in trees. I should probably ditch some of my fishing gear but I'm stuck in my ways. So my thinking is to get in better shape and continue to lose weight rather than lighten my backpack and give up some of the comforts and conveniences.
                    Don't blame you on not wanting to hang bear bags. Last couple times I've tried, there weren't many workable trees - the branches were either too short or too high up.

40 pounds is a big pack. I had just 30 pounds in a much shorter hike that really wore me down. The next hike I whittled it down to 20 pounds which was much more manageable for me. I'm probably carrying a lot more built-in weight than you are, though.

Beautiful lake. Did you see many other hikers/campers along the trail?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Some great trips this summer. Got smoked out of mine. Thanks for all the write ups and pics, I can live through you guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                        Some great trips this summer. Got smoked out of mine. Thanks for all the write ups and pics, I can live through you guys.
                        Going next weekend. Can't wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          Don't blame you on not wanting to hang bear bags. Last couple times I've tried, there weren't many workable trees - the branches were either too short or too high up.

40 pounds is a big pack. I had just 30 pounds in a much shorter hike that really wore me down. The next hike I whittled it down to 20 pounds which was much more manageable for me. I'm probably carrying a lot more built-in weight than you are, though.

Beautiful lake. Did you see many other hikers/campers along the trail?
                          At the lake I met two fine gentleman who had arrived on horses. We had a fish fry one night that was great. Here I am equipped with my small, light weight frying pan and here these guys are fully equipped with their custom fish batter, large frying pan, frozen french fries, all set up in a large tarp structure with camping chairs. But I earned some measure of respect (or so they said) for backpacking in. The following week, I accepted an invitation from one of them and we met again in town and got a tour of his amazing house. Only other people I saw were a group of four backpackers on the CDT, who were hiking in the opposite direction going south from Wolf Creek. At the end of my hike, I talked to a couple of backpackers at the trail head who were getting ready to hike in. I saw their compound bows and learned it was the first week of Elk bow hunting season.

I really need to get serious about reducing my pack weight but am conflicted about what to omit. I went through my pack and used most of my gear except for rain gear which is always necessary. Maybe I'll start another thread to discuss what people include in their packs.

Comment

• You need to rethink that solo stuff. That is dangerous.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

You need to rethink that solo stuff. That is dangerous.
                              I've got a GPS with SOS functionality. Also use tracking mode so my position is known. But you're correct to point out that there are risks. However, there are backpackers who hike the entire CDT from Mexico to Canada solo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                                I have no friends Usually, I backpack with one or more of my sons but my annual Colorado vacation occurred later in the Summer and college classes had started. And my oldest son who graduated and got married earlier this year decided to go to Iceland with his wife rather than backpack with me But I really enjoyed backpacking solo and will continue to do so. My wife signed off on it after I got a Garmin Inreach mini GPS that has tracking and posts my location every 10 minutes. Also allows texting so I can check-in. I pair the GPS with my iPhone using Garmin's Earthmate app so I have topo maps that show my location with the resolution of an iPhone screen.

Backpacking solo also worked well on this trip since I had more vacation than my wife. While I was wandering in the wilderness, she was telecommuting. Then we took "our" vacation which has amounted to some easy day hikes , lots of shopping for native American jewelry, and visiting Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Great Sand Dunes national parks.

[ATTACH]9035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9033[/ATTACH]
                                I spent 6 months of my mission in the San Luis Valley. Spent a couple P Days at Great San Dunes and hiking Zapata Falls. The falls freeze over in winter and you can hike right up the creek.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X