Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Backpacking

It's amazing how weathered and fragile all those rocks look.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Half dome permits and Whitney permits lotteries close in the next week or so. Go do something fun this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Half dome permits and Whitney permits lotteries close in the next week or so. Go do something fun this summer.
    We are signing up to do half dome again this year, but some of the locals told me if you show up during the week and go after the main summer rush there is a very good chance that you will get returned day permits for Whitney. DO you concur?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I expect Whitney will be an especially fun challenge this year, at least until late summer. I've never done it and I'm thinking this year might not be the best time to start. We're gathering the entire brood at Tahoe in late July and I fear the usual big hike we do will be a little muddier than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    We are signing up to do half dome again this year, but some of the locals told me if you show up during the week and go after the main summer rush there is a very good chance that you will get returned day permits for Whitney. DO you concur?
    I have never had a problem getting whitney permits the day before. They always seem to be available midweek. You do have to be in Lone Pine to get them.

I also think it depends on which route you are taking. If you are doing it all in one day then that is easier than staying at trail camp. My favorite route up is the Mountaineers route, but this year I would wait till late August for that as the snow may never melt. You can also do that as an overnight and stay at boy scout lake.