WARNING:Software Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING:Software Upgrade

After putting it off for way too long, I think I am going to take the plunge and upgrade our vbulletin license. I will need to shut down the site for a while to make this happen. This will take place a little later this afternoon. Just a heads up.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Re: WARNING:Software Upgrade

Good luck taking the plunge
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Here we go.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Went off without a hitch!

Comment

I thought the angry Utes hacked the site at the same time of starting their own site. Can anyone link to the new Ute site?

TIA
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

I actually got some work done this AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Is there any change in functionality of which to be aware?
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                Is there any change in functionality of which to be aware?
                Yeah, the newer version blocks all Utes from this site
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

ALIVE!!!!
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Holy crap. What a nightmare. Sorry about that, everyone.

OK, here is what happened: After three years of putting it off, I had an afternoon with nothing to do, so I decided to take the plunge and upgrade our vbulletin license from 3.8 to 4.2. The new version has some very nice features and we are way overdue for an upgrade. So I purchased the new license to vbulletin and started the upgrade process. It got to step 104 of 108 of the process and I got a fatal database error. I checked with vbulletin and they said it was a server error. I then checked with our webhosting service and after about four hours they determined it was a timeout limit on the server. There was a query that was taking longer than 60s. They said that they could not change the limit (company policy!) so my only option was to upgrade to a dedicated VPS account. Our monthly fee would go from $10 per month to $50 per month. Grrr... In the end I decided to switch to a different hosting company (URLjet.com) that specializes in vbulletin hosting and their server fee is only $25 per month for an even better server. So this morning they (URLjet) helped me move everything from the old site to the new site. In the process, they used the backup that I had made (phew!) to roll everything back to v3.8 to ensure that the transfer would go smoothly. So after all that, we are back to where we were yesterday afternoon. On the plus side, this new hosting service offers free vbulletin upgrades. I just give them the files and they take care of everything. I am going to have them do that tomorrow and upgrade to vb4.2 after my nerves calm back down.

Comment

By the way, if you know someone who can't bring up the site, go ahead and give them this URL:

http://199.193.245.230/~cougarut/

It will take up to 48 hours for the domain name changes to propagate throughout all of the domain name servers. This temp URL should work in the meantime.

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work, dude. It is much appreciated.

Comment

I actually thought that The Dude purposefully took the site down to help move our Ute brethren over to their newly launched site. I mean, UB5 gets started up last night and CS mysteriously goes down. Meanwhile everyone logs in over there and chances are the Utes will stay. Maybe he was helping them out or maybe it was a sinister plot to get them out of here.....either way I'm a conspiracy theorist.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

What a major headache for the Dude. I appreciate all the work.

Comment

Thanks Dude.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X