General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    It's nailed. You can see the nailer in his pics.
    do you nail every piece? does sanding/staining/sealing make it hard to see and feel nails?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• It's tongue and groove. The nails are sent through the rear of the tongue, so they're never visible i.e. no face nailing. The tongue holds the back side of the next piece (the groove) in place. Every piece is nailed every 8-12 inches.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Looks great Brian. Did you stain/seal them yourself?
        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          do you nail every piece? does sanding/staining/sealing make it hard to see and feel nails?
          Like Donuthole described. The nailer is angled and fits on the tongue of each plank. You use a mallet to hit the nailer. This closes any gaps between planks and shoots the nail in securing it in place all at once. The only pieces you need to facenail are the first so it's square and you have room for expansion and the last pieces where the nailer won't fit.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            so nothing holds the floor down other than pressure, right?
            Love holds it down. If Brian doesn't work hard to keep the spirit of an eternal family in his house then the floor falls apart. This is why outside of Utah many homes use concrete, tile of linoleum flooring.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Like Donuthole described. The nailer is angled and fits on the tongue of each plank. You use a mallet to hit the nailer. This closes any gaps between planks and shoots the nail in securing it in place all at once. The only pieces you need to facenail are the first so it's square and you have room for expansion and the last pieces where the nailer won't fit.
              staples, not nails.
              I intend to live forever.
              So far, so good.
              --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                staples, not nails.
                Stapler/nailer: They look and operate the same. Depends on your floor. I've used the nailer shooting cleats with 3/4" oak. Staples on thick hardwoods tend to split the tongue more often. But they do hold better, especially for softer woods (pine) and laminates.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Stapler/nailer: They look and operate the same.
                  no they don't.

So far, so good.
                  --Steven Wright

Comment

no they don't.

Uh, I said stapler/nailer looking and operating the same, not staples/nails.

And yes they do.

Stapler:

Nailer:

And many shoot nails or staples.

-Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

• yellow = green?

handle going up and to the right = handle going up and to the left?
                      So far, so good.
                      --Steven Wright

Comment

yellow = green?

I think we all know what Ed Hochuli is getting for Christmas.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

yellow = green?

I don't know anything about any of this shit, but I have to say that if you can get a tool that does both, they might look exactly the same - with literally no differences. Like, even if one gets a scratch on it, the other would have the same scratch in exactly the same location. Point goes to surfah.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            I don't know anything about any of this shit, but I have to say that if you can get a tool that does both, they might look exactly the same - with literally no differences. Like, even if one gets a scratch on it, the other would have the same scratch in exactly the same location. Point goes to surfah.
                            My electric stapler also shoots brads.
                            Last edited by wuapinmon; 09-17-2014, 07:59 AM.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              My electric stapler also shoots brads.
                              Good thing my name isn't Brad.
                              So far, so good.
                              --Steven Wright

Comment

• Comcast question.

My home is not serviceable. Comcast says it will cost $1900 to get service there. They will pay half. Phone dude doesn't seem willing to budge.
                                No other options for high speed internet. At least that I know about...

Anyone have any experience getting them to bend on this type of thing?
                                So far, so good.
                                --Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X