X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Upgrades & Ideas

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    How tall is that door?
    That looks like an 8' door to me, I think the large upper glass makes it look even taller.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 09-05-2014, 09:46 AM. Reason: Purple fail
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      How tall is that door?
      8 feet.
      ceilings are 10 feet.
      I intend to live forever.
      So far, so good.
      --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        Just some simple "L" brackets, from each support to the main beam. Probably black, unless we can find something that's rusty.
        All casings are very simple, 4" boards, with an 6" board on top. Nothing with a profile, just 3/4" stock. Baseboards will be the same, 10" high 3/4" plain stock. No crown molding anywhere.

Floors are pine, various widths (4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 9" 11"). It's going to be a bear to put down. Lots of planning to make sure it all works out... We stacked it by width, measured each piece, and then counted so we have an idea of where things need to go. The lengths vary as well. Most of them are 10' to 14' long, but some are 5', 8', 6', etc. My fear is that we'll get to the end of the house and not have enough of a certain width to finish a run.
        I divided the rooms up into zones of equal runs of wood, then made a big nasty spreadsheet to help manage the placement of each width in a zone. A constrained minimization problem if you will. Might throw some python code together to do this as well. Goal is to keep the width placement fairly random, use the widths maximally so we don't get in a bind at the end. We'll see how it goes.
        Good luck with the floor. It's hard to put down in a way that makes it look good, but it will be worth it when you're done.
        Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
          Just some simple "L" brackets, from each support to the main beam. Probably black, unless we can find something that's rusty.
          All casings are very simple, 4" boards, with an 6" board on top. Nothing with a profile, just 3/4" stock. Baseboards will be the same, 10" high 3/4" plain stock. No crown molding anywhere.

Floors are pine, various widths (4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 9" 11"). It's going to be a bear to put down. Lots of planning to make sure it all works out... We stacked it by width, measured each piece, and then counted so we have an idea of where things need to go. The lengths vary as well. Most of them are 10' to 14' long, but some are 5', 8', 6', etc. My fear is that we'll get to the end of the house and not have enough of a certain width to finish a run.
          I divided the rooms up into zones of equal runs of wood, then made a big nasty spreadsheet to help manage the placement of each width in a zone. A constrained minimization problem if you will. Might throw some python code together to do this as well. Goal is to keep the width placement fairly random, use the widths maximally so we don't get in a bind at the end. We'll see how it goes.
          that is ambitious. It will look awesome though. I opted out of the varying length and width with our recent floor install, simply because I didn't want to think that hard about it. Also it would have been a nightmare with all our angled walls.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
            Good luck with the floor. It's hard to put down in a way that makes it look good, but it will be worth it when you're done.
            that's why my wife is in charge of this.
            So far, so good.
            --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              that is ambitious. It will look awesome though. I opted out of the varying length and width with our recent floor install, simply because I didn't want to think that hard about it. Also it would have been a nightmare with all our angled walls.
              No angles, everything is rectangles, so at least there is not that hassle to deal with.
              So far, so good.
              --Steven Wright

Comment

Mathematics works.
                My body doesn't. A lot of the 11" pieces were 14 feet long, and hefting those around took a toll on my triceps....
                No issues throughout the whole process. Had enough for all the runs we wanted, and have about 12 boards left over. Were able to get nice grains, knots and holes in all the visible spots.
                Really dusty, so it looks pretty gray. Anxious to walk with bare feet on it.

We really like the piece on the left with a big chip out of it. We sanded the rough edges on it. Have some extra stain and sealer to make it look good as old.

So far, so good.
                --Steven Wright

Comment

Lots of character to that wood. Pretty cool rustic look.

Comment

That is some great-looking flooring. Nice work, as usual. Question: What is the reason for what appears to be a fairly narrow strip of tile along the cabinetry? Without seeing the footprint of the house, it's difficult to tell how that ties into what I presume is tile flooring throughout the kitchen. Or is that really just a narrow strip of tile along all of the kitchen cabinets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      That is some great-looking flooring. Nice work, as usual. Question: What is the reason for what appears to be a fairly narrow strip of tile along the cabinetry? Without seeing the footprint of the house, it's difficult to tell how that ties into what I presume is tile flooring throughout the kitchen. Or is that really just a narrow strip of tile along all of the kitchen cabinets?
                      There is still paper on most of the kitchen floor.
                      So far, so good.
                      --Steven Wright

Comment

• Brian, nice handiwork as always. Very impressive.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Brian, nice handiwork as always. Very impressive.
                          Agree, looks great. Is that natural wood? Your earlier posts seems to suggest so. Just wanted to confirm if it's natural pine that is stained or some sort of engineered wood product.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                            Agree, looks great. Is that natural wood? Your earlier posts seems to suggest so. Just wanted to confirm if it's natural pine that is stained or some sort of engineered wood product.
                            3/4" tongue and groove eastern white pine, stained and sealed.
                            So far, so good.
                            --Steven Wright

Comment

• so nothing holds the floor down other than pressure, right?
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                so nothing holds the floor down other than pressure, right?
                                It's nailed. You can see the nailer in his pics.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X