General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Nice work, Brian. I really like the rustic tile against the contemporary shaker cabinets.

White kitchens are all the rage right now (and for the last few years, really). My wife wants to paint our cabinets white, but I've been reluctant so far. I'm not reluctant because of the look--i love the look--but because I'm worried the white kitchen is a fad that is going to look dated within 5 years (sort of like those kitchens where half the cabinets are raised higher than the others, like this:

Maybe it was a good idea 5 years ago, but it looks very 2008 right now.) Alas, everything i've encountered says white kitchens are timeless and won't be going out of style anytime soon. I still have my doubts, but I think we're going to end up doing it before the year is out.
    I always try to doubt my doubts.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

My wife wants to paint our cabinets white, but I've been reluctant so far.
      Has she considered black? Once you go black though...
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        Has she considered black? Once you go black though...
        We have white cabinets. Our island is black with a butcher block top.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

My observations--that white kitchens are popular right now and that they will eventually be out of style--all align, though the information from other sources conflicts with both itself and with my observations. While white kitchens have become increasingly popular recently, the prevailing thought amongst home decor peeps/designers is that that these kitchens will remain stylish long after the appliances have gone out of date. Personally, I find that about as credible as a realtor who tells you that now is the best market to buy a house, not matter the time or market. After all, it is the designers, among others, who stand to gain from present remodels to white kitchens, and if (when) they go out of style, it is the designers who stand to gain again.
          Blame Apple...

Why white is No. 1 car color: Blame Apple, not O.J.

[...]
          Car colors appear to track trends in the latest technology, says Jessica Caldwell, senior analyst at Edmunds.com, a website resource for automobiles. “I just bought a new white car for the first time a few months ago,” she says. “It seems like flashier colors were prevalent in the 1990s along with iMacs — teal, hunter green, purple. In the 2000s, silver dominated as that represented the new tech world. Stainless appliances were all the rage as well. Apple has made white popular because of the iPhone colors.”
          [...]
          http://www.marketwatch.com/story/whi...-oj-2014-06-12

You'll be behind the trend going with white... I would go with the Space Gray:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Isn't white always at the top of the list for car colors? I'm not ready to give Apple the credit for that popularity.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Isn't white always at the top of the list for car colors? I'm not ready to give Apple the credit for that popularity.
              That article seems pretty credible. Who could argue with this persuasive and logical quote:

Apple has made white popular because of the iPhone colors.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Nice work, Brian. I really like the rustic tile against the contemporary shaker cabinets.

White kitchens are all the rage right now (and for the last few years, really). My wife wants to paint our cabinets white, but I've been reluctant so far. I'm not reluctant because of the look--i love the look--but because I'm worried the white kitchen is a fad that is going to look dated within 5 years (sort of like those kitchens where half the cabinets are raised higher than the others, like this:

Maybe it was a good idea 5 years ago, but it looks very 2008 right now.) Alas, everything i've encountered says white kitchens are timeless and won't be going out of style anytime soon. I still have my doubts, but I think we're going to end up doing it before the year is out.

DH, I would recommend that you get a better selection of Vodka to leave out on your counter for your guests than just that one bottle... It makes you look cheap when you do that.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• i loved those candy necklaces when i was a little kid. great ice cream truck purchase, along with the wax coke bottles.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Mos def!
                    What's my year?

It is good to know the photo attach tool is equally bad on a desktop as on a mobile device!
                    image11_zpsbf20d90e.jpg
                    Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Um, maybe attach a picture? I'll even accept a sideways picture.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Um, maybe attach a picture? I'll even accept a sideways picture.
                        I tried, but the attach option sucks. So I had to upload it to Photobucket then edit my post.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

• dope fridge. also, is that a convection oven?
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• No ability to zoom and really scour the photo, but I'll guess 2009-10ish. Those shaker cabinets are pretty timeless, so they could be brand new or they could be 8 years old. But I think that granite is probably at least 5 years old. Someone building that same kitchen today would probably go marble, soapstone, or quartz. Those 6-panel doors look older than that, though, so I'm guessing this kitchen has been remodeled and the house is actually older.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              What's my year?

It is good to know the photo attach tool is equally bad on a desktop as on a mobile device!
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]4995[/ATTACH]
                              When we bought our fridge (5.5 years ago when we bought our current home), our kids were -2, 1, and 2. We didn't think we would want an ice & water dispenser on the fridge. Now that our kids are 4, 6, and 8, I really wish we had it. Do you feel the same?
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                                When we bought our fridge (5.5 years ago when we bought our current home), our kids were -2, 1, and 2. We didn't think we would want an ice & water dispenser on the fridge. Now that our kids are 4, 6, and 8, I really wish we had it. Do you feel the same?
                                Screen-shot-2013-01-08-at-5.28.53-PM.jpg
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X