Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 306

Thread: General Upgrades & Ideas

  1. #271
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Just finished a credenza to match the built ins. Used real walnut for the top. When I originally put the top on it I realized I had made the top rail of the face frame too thick since there was a big gap between the top of the drawers and the walnut top. I took it back out to the garage and cutoff about a half inch to make it look better. Next up is a walnut desk and then the study is done.







    That's great Moli. I want to do something similar for a desk in the kids' study area. How pricey was the Walnut?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  2. #272
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    20,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Kitchen table project:

    We found some nice wood from a salvage yard. Twas a barn door.


    And moved it into the kitchen





    Love that table... very nice work.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  3. #273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That looks great. My OCD couldn't handle that one off-colored plank.
    More like FauxCD.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  4. #274
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    More like FauxCD.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  5. #275

    Default

    love that table, looks just like the one we grabbed from ikea
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  6. #276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    love that table, looks just like the one we grabbed from ikea
    I wonder if it was called the bjärndör.

  7. #277
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    So it was all built up but no top and you cut it? Do you have a huge table saw that you ran it through? Or what did you do to get the cuts straight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Just finished a credenza to match the built ins. Used real walnut for the top. When I originally put the top on it I realized I had made the top rail of the face frame too thick since there was a big gap between the top of the drawers and the walnut top. I took it back out to the garage and cutoff about a half inch to make it look better. Next up is a walnut desk and then the study is done.


  8. #278
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That's great Moli. I want to do something similar for a desk in the kids' study area. How pricey was the Walnut?
    Probably around $120 worth of walnut. There are four boards that are each about 4 1/4 x 66 inches and just over 3/4 inch thick. I bought 4 rough cut 5/4 boards and wanted to leave them at 1 inch thick but after milling I ended up closer to 3/4 inches due to them being more curvy than I originally thought. I do have some decent scraps left over and I love walnut for little projects. The built ins I did I used maple and stained it. I'm kind of regretting that decision since the natural walnut looks so good but doing the built ins table top using walnut would ahve been around $400 or more because of how long it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    So it was all built up but no top and you cut it? Do you have a huge table saw that you ran it through? Or what did you do to get the cuts straight?
    Yes, it was built without the top and I cut it but I used a circular saw and a track...make shift track saw basically. I have one from Kreg that I use all the time. It's a very cheap alternative to the $800 track saws and works just as well. I just laid the body of the credenza on it's back/front/side and just cut off the 1/2 inch using the saw. The interior support I couldn't reach with any type of electric saw so I used a pull saw and then planed them down with a hand planer.

    The project ended up pretty much as I wanted it. It matches the built ins perfectly. The biggest challenge was putting the divider above the long bottom drawer so I could have two smaller drawers. I do think that if I did it again I'd add a little more curve to it, maybe a very slight curve on the bottom to make it less contemporary.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  9. #279
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    No.
    And yes, would have been nice.
    However, listened to a lot of podcasts while I sanded, so win a there.
    I'm trying to figure out how you did the bread board ends. Were they just attached to the support underneath or did you secure them to the top? I want to do a table with bread board ends just to try it but I have no need for a table.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  10. #280
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,468

    Default

    I’ve had most of the week off, which is bad news for my spending habits. I spent two full days turning the space above my garage into attic storage space. I’ve wanted to do this for a while but hadn’t ever had the time when the weather is right, until now.

    Spent half a day framing out the space for the attic ladder and then installing it, which went swimmingly well.


    Then I spent the rest of the first day rewiring a bunch of stuff to make it possible to lay down insulation (I’m eventually planning on climate controlling the garage) and a subfloor for storage. Lastly I installed a permanent light fixture.

    The second was spent cutting, hauling and screwing down the subfloor. This part sucked and I’m glad it’s mostly over. I still want to build some shelving but that will wait. I also want to build a ladder to the upper attic, which you can get to right now if you can jump 9 feet.

    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  11. #281
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,468

    Default

    I also built some floating shelves for the game room so the kids can store their LEGO creations off the floor. This was much easier to do than I expected. It didn’t cost anything since I had the materials already left over from other projects.

    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  12. #282
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I also built some floating shelves for the game room so the kids can store their LEGO creations off the floor. This was much easier to do than I expected. It didn’t cost anything since I had the materials already left over from other projects.

    How do you fasten those shelves to the walls?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  13. #283
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    How do you fasten those shelves to the walls?
    I first fastened some inch thick maple strips to the wall. They were basically in an L shape. The shelves are two pieces of plywood separated by an inch thick piece of wood, so they are essentially hollow. Then I just slid them over the previously secured maple strips and secured it all together with screws. Here’s the underside that shows some of the screws holding it together.



    I always get to the end of the project and realize I didn’t take any photos of the process
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  14. #284
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I’ve had most of the week off, which is bad news for my spending habits. I spent two full days turning the space above my garage into attic storage space. I’ve wanted to do this for a while but hadn’t ever had the time when the weather is right, until now.

    Spent half a day framing out the space for the attic ladder and then installing it, which went swimmingly well.


    Then I spent the rest of the first day rewiring a bunch of stuff to make it possible to lay down insulation (I’m eventually planning on climate controlling the garage) and a subfloor for storage. Lastly I installed a permanent light fixture.

    The second was spent cutting, hauling and screwing down the subfloor. This part sucked and I’m glad it’s mostly over. I still want to build some shelving but that will wait. I also want to build a ladder to the upper attic, which you can get to right now if you can jump 9 feet.
    Did the same thing a couple of years ago with our garage remodel. We love it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  15. #285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how you did the bread board ends. Were they just attached to the support underneath or did you secure them to the top? I want to do a table with bread board ends just to try it but I have no need for a table.
    I used biscuits to attach the top board, and then put a larger board underneath that was notched to make room for the side rails and could be glued and screwed to the bottom of the table.



    The bottom view is here:


    And when taking that last photo I realized that I forgot to take off the black tape that sealed up the epoxy drips when filling all the voids.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  16. #286

    Default

    A few weeks after it was completed and sitting in the kitchen my wife and I were unpleasantly woken up by a tremendous cracking sound.
    I wondered if the cat knocked something over but couldn’t see it.
    Later that night I saw a large crack in the table. I obviously didn’t climatize the wood enough.

    No worries: just epoxied the crack, re-rsanded and sealed and it looks even better.
    We never stained it because we liked the color of the wood as is. Just sealed it with a flat sealer we got from woodcraft.





    While pulling out nails, one of them broke off. So, we left it in and just sanded it smooth. Gives it some nice character I think.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  17. #287
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,468

    Default

    Finished the floating shelves on the other side of that nook. These were much bigger at about 18x36 inches. I was a little nervous about them holding but so far so good. They seem strong.



    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  18. #288

    Default

    Making a work bench that will double as a table saw out feed table.
    And, to save on space I’m adding some robotics to it......

    First step is to cut a bunch of metal.






    Sorry to brag, but someone just jumped up a few tax brackets.

    Weld it together.




    And the frame is getting there...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  19. #289

    Default

    It’s hard to explain without pictures of it done, but the table will be stored above the table saw. So, I’ve made the legs telescope, and added some linear actuators to raise and lower the table.

    The table is upside down, and one actuator is test fit.




    All 4 actuators raised to full height.



    Each actuator has a working limit of 330 pounds. Which is more than enough for projects.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  20. #290
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,380

    Default

    Brian that's pretty cool. I wish I had a shop garage. It's one of my dreams.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  21. #291

    Default

    Nicely done!

  22. #292
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,468

    Default

    I’m not fully understanding how it will be stored above the table saw so post some pics when it’s done.

    I’m jealous you know how to weld and do metal work.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  23. #293

    Default

    Some soldering up of controls



    The on-off-on switch is for up and down of the table, and the 4 toggle switches are to control each leg independently of I ever need to do that for leveling at a particular height. However, things seem to work pretty evenly, so perhaps overkill.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  24. #294

    Default

    First test.

    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  25. #295
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Not an upgrade, but I am cutting down a 30' black locust tree whose roots are to close the patio that we converted to a bedroom for my daughter last year. Things have gone pretty well. I managed to get some webbing high in the tree and my wife belayed me as I worked on the really high branches. And then I would your that and lower the branches using ropes and we're about to good then down so as not to hit my house or the neighbors'.

    Now just some big limbs to cut, which I was doing yesterday. Lowering one, I was standing behind the trunk when it caught on something and swing around the tree towards me. It ended up snacking the crap out of my arm. Luckily I was wearing my flannel as it protected me a bit. The force the blow did split my arm and I ended up having to get 4 stitches to close up my forearm.

    Be careful out there. If the thing had had hit me elsewhere it could have killed me. That is some freaking heavy wood.

  26. #296
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Not an upgrade, but I am cutting down a 30' black locust tree whose roots are to close the patio that we converted to a bedroom for my daughter last year. Things have gone pretty well. I managed to get some webbing high in the tree and my wife belayed me as I worked on the really high branches. And then I would your that and lower the branches using ropes and we're about to good then down so as not to hit my house or the neighbors'.

    Now just some big limbs to cut, which I was doing yesterday. Lowering one, I was standing behind the trunk when it caught on something and swing around the tree towards me. It ended up snacking the crap out of my arm. Luckily I was wearing my flannel as it protected me a bit. The force the blow did split my arm and I ended up having to get 4 stitches to close up my forearm.

    Be careful out there. If the thing had had hit me elsewhere it could have killed me. That is some freaking heavy wood.
    Stay safe, bro. Looks like it must have whacked you upside the head, too; you're channeling grapevine.

  27. #297
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Stay safe, bro. Looks like it must have whacked you upside the head, too; you're channeling grapevine.
    I blame it on phone typing.

  28. #298
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I blame it on phone typing.
    Glad you're ok. What are you going to do with all the wood?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  29. #299
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    What are you going to do with all the wood?
    Twss.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  30. #300
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Glad you're ok. What are you going to do with all the wood?
    Burn it. We heat our house during the winter with our wood stove. This will supplement the 2 cords of pine I plan on harvesting this summer in the national Forest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •