General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I also have a specific reason to buy a Nest -- getting control of the auxiliary heat. My auxiliary heat isn't some additional gas furnace, it's an electric heating element and it burns through a ton of electricity. My electric bills in January and February were around 1/3 higher than the year before. If anything, we turned the temp down last winter. I either have to buy a Nest or just put my old basic tstat back on. There's no way for me to get into the Honeywell PoS and tell it to ride out the heat pump for awhile before going to the aux.
    Yeah, I can’t help you there. I have two gas furnaces so I’ve never dealt with a heat pump.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Yeah, I can’t help you there. I have two gas furnaces so I’ve never dealt with a heat pump.
      I bought a Nest. Other than the fact the thing turns your cooling/heating off when you leave the house, the other main advantage is being able to control your thermostat(s) from anywhere and the ease with scheduling. As I mentioned before, there's also appears to be a distinct advantage for people that have electric auxilliary heat.

Going through all of this, I've discovered that my HVAC/general contractor probably didn't put a big enough condenser on my house. My house is sealed up pretty well and well-insulated, but according to everything I've read, my house should have had definitely had a 1/2 ton bigger unit -- like my square footage is above the maximum square footage for the size above my unit's size. All of my square footage being on one floor may have also led to the decision to undersize ac unit. All of that said, it is better to undersize an ac unit rather than oversize. Short cycling apparently wears out your compressor much faster than having the thing run longer and the compressor takes at least five minutes after starting to reach full efficiency. We bought this house when we had 1 kid who was still a baby, now I have three kids with oldest being 11. The ac seems to have work quite a bit harder now.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• I saw one or two of you post about putting some kind of cooling/heating system in your garage. Did you put in a mini-split ac/heat pump? If so, what size is your garage and what size unit did you get?

I have an 800 sq foot garage, west-facing garage. Where I live it's hot, not Phoenix or even as hot as Vegas, but still pretty hot. We have a weight set in the garage and we have a treadmill in the house. I want to get more weights and put the treadmill in the garage along with a TV.

The ac/heat pump will only come on when someone is working out-- though I'm thinking about getting a two zone unit with the other inside unit going into the bedroom that's adjacent to my garage.

I'm thinking a 18k unit will do the job?
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Making a stand for making it easier to get up on the horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I intend to live forever.
          So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

Comment

• How do you get the horse inside the box?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
              How do you get the horse inside the box?
              Not that hard, actually, but good luck getting it to drink.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Stair thingys attached.

Could also double for a gallows I suppose

So far, so good.
                --Steven Wright

Comment

• You're planning on putting a platform at the top of the stairs that you can stand on? You should frame it so that the deck rests directly on the posts. As it is, all the weight of you and the deck is supported by screws. I don't think I'd trust it for long.

Comment

• Mostly no.
                    I wanted full posts to keep the hand rails plenty strong. I’m going to put 1/2” bolts through the supports, so that should be ok. I don’t know what code is on something like this, but I’m guessing that would hold for quite a while.
                    I’m also just tacking it together in the garage as it is really hot outside. I’ll take it mostly apart and drag it out by the barn for final assembly.
                    So far, so good.
                    --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                      Mostly no.
                      I wanted full posts to keep the hand rails plenty strong. I’m going to put 1/2” bolts through the supports, so that should be ok. I don’t know what code is on something like this, but I’m guessing that would hold for quite a while.
                      I’m also just tacking it together in the garage as it is really hot outside. I’ll take it mostly apart and drag it out by the barn for final assembly.
                      When you look at some of the other flimsy devices people use to get on horses I think you will be just fine.
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Other flimsy devices shown on America's Funniest Videos include: buckets, rotting fence posts, chairs, stools placed on top of chairs, picnic tables, and my personal favorite: standing on someone's back while they kneel beside the horse.

So I agree with hostile - you'll be fine.

Comment

• Took the stair thingys off, put it on the hand truck and rolled it out behind the barn.

Put it back together and added decking to walk on.
                          Won’t get the hand rails done today. So a task for Monday night.
                          My wife will christen it next week with a ride on Millie.

So far, so good.
                          --Steven Wright

Comment

• Done.

So far, so good.
                            --Steven Wright

Comment

• Starting to put built-ins in the garage.

First three are drawer units with locking wheels. I will mount drill press, and soon to be purchased planer and jointer to the other three.

cabinet0.jpg

cabinet1.jpg

cabinet2.jpg
                              Attached Files
                              So far, so good.
                              --Steven Wright

Comment

• How are the horse stairs working out?
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment