No announcement yet.

General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DH, when are you going to post a pic of the completed tile job? I would like to see it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      DH, when are you going to post a pic of the completed tile job? I would like to see it.
      Seems like kind of a personal question.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

General Upgrades & Ideas

Well, the job won't be completed, per se, until I get the baseboard down and caulked. I'll definitely post pics then. I did get the tile grouted and also set new tile in the master.

I've spent the last 3 weeks laying down laminate floors, and I finally set the last piece of laminate on Thursday. Now I just need to install the thresholds and put down the base. The end is in sight. Here are some pics of the not-yet-finished product:

I got the base installed in the powder room, got the toilet set, and was in the process of re-installing the pedestal sink when I realized I would have to raise the mounting plate on the wall up an inch to account for the added height from the tile/thinset. But I didn't have any lag bolts, so that will have to wait. Here's the powder room with the base installed:

Here's the laminate in the entry. Installing it on a diagonal took some extra time, but it wasn't nearly as difficult as all of my online research indicated it would be (in fact, it wasn't really any more difficult than laying laminate straight other than the fact that I had to work from both sides of the flooring and constantly be flipping the saw angle for the end cuts):

View from the second floor:

Hallway to the first-floor master suite:

Master bath tile (I'll tile that step on the tub with whatever tile Mrs. D decides to use as the backsplash--for now it remains the same nasty carpet that was throughout the entire house when we bought it):

Lots of work left, but at least we're not camping in a spare bedroom anymore.

Last edited by Donuthole; 08-03-2014, 08:23 PM.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Bravo. I am impressed.

But I must admit that the OCD side of me is unsure what to think about that diagonal thing you have going on there.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Bravo. I am impressed.

But I must admit that the OCD side of me is unsure what to think about that diagonal thing you have going on there.
            Diagonal is the new black.

Comment

Bravo. I am impressed.

Thats about what I would expect from someone who lacks vision and inspiration.

In all candor, the number of angled walls in the house meant that there were going to be some funky angles no matter which direction I installed. Personally, I love the look of flooring on an angle.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                Diagonal is the new black.
                Maybe I would get used to it. Speaking of OCD, these photos drive me nuts.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/samir/things...cd-self-insane

Comment

Looking good DH. I love the diagonal. knowing the layout of the house and the diagonal hallways, do you ever get a hallway where the flooring angles don't quite match up with the hallway angle?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Looking good DH. I love the diagonal. knowing the layout of the house and the diagonal hallways, do you ever get a hallway where the flooring angles don't quite match up with the hallway angle?
                    That was very much my OCD-related concern. Thankfully, the walls in this house really are very true to square, so I never had to adjust away from 45 degrees. There is one section leading to the kitchen where the walkway runs perpendicular to the direction of the laminate. When isolated, that section looks odd, but it looks fine when you see the entire area.

Comment

Looks very nice.

What did you finally decide to do with the those stairwell windows?
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

General Upgrades & Ideas

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Looks very nice.

What did you finally decide to do with the those stairwell windows?
                        For the moment, the decision has been to do nothing--it will remain hideous for now. Within the next year, we'll probably look at getting some quotes for railing to see if it's feasible within the next year or two. If it's not, i'll start looking at other fixes. I'm confident I could do it myself, but it's a project that would take me a lot of time, and with young kids, I don't think we can really have an open stairway/balcony for an extended period of time.

Comment

Very nice work.
                          And I like air compressor as accessory in the entry way. It's a nice industrial look.
                          I intend to live forever.
                          So far, so good.
                          --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                            Very nice work.
                            And I like air compressor as accessory in the entry way. It's a nice industrial look.
                            No love for the caulking gun on the pony wall or the tool belt on the entry table?

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Thats about what I would expect from someone who lacks vision and inspiration.

In all candor, the number of angled walls in the house meant that there were going to be some funky angles no matter which direction I installed. Personally, I love the look of flooring on an angle.
                              Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              I too love the diagonal look in the entry area. Very cool.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Sorry, but those cheap Vegas houses just need to all be burned down. Starting over is the only way to make them half decent. SJBH.

Comment

Working...
                                X