General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Upgrades & Ideas

I looked for a generalist thread and didn't find one nor did I find a general bathroom thread, so here's a question.

Our new home has a larger master bath than our previous place -- it's an actual master bath -- but it's over the garage and gets rather cool in the winter. Apart from a space heater, does anyone have any suggestions or seen something useful in warming up the bathroom? I'd like a heated floor but I don't see that happening right now and it seems like the heat lamps over the shower are past their prime. Or should I just forego showering during the winter?
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Do you know whether the garage ceiling is insulated? A lot of houses with bedrooms over garages have that same problem. Get up into the top of the garage and make sure there is good insulation there.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
      I looked for a generalist thread and didn't find one nor did I find a general bathroom thread, so here's a question.

Our new home has a larger master bath than our previous place -- it's an actual master bath -- but it's over the garage and gets rather cool in the winter. Apart from a space heater, does anyone have any suggestions or seen something useful in warming up the bathroom? I'd like a heated floor but I don't see that happening right now and it seems like the heat lamps over the shower are past their prime. Or should I just forego showering during the winter?
      You should have dual furnaces, right? It may help to adjust the baffles in the ducts, to get more hot air flowing toward that portion of the floor.

Comment

An inline duct fan with a thermostat...

And a tankless water heater for plenty of hot water and energy tax credit.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Injection foam insulation...

[YOUTUBE]X0JvGki39Mk[/YOUTUBE]
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

And a tankless water heater for plenty of hot water and energy tax credit.

That's a tankless job.

Comment

I would check the insulation and then upgrade your flooring and add a heated floor. Your wife will love you for it!
              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I will research further!

Comment

crown molding question.
                  I've never been happy with my inside corners while doing crowns. They aren't water tight, and I always end up caulking more than I'd like.
                  I always cope, so the one side is easy, but measuring and cutting the other piece is a real pain. Especially for longer pieces. What are you tricks for getting a tighter fit?
                  I have a couple of big projects coming up, and I want to improve.
                  I intend to live forever.
                  So far, so good.
                  --Steven Wright

Comment

coffered ceilings:
                    It seems like there are several ways to do it. We're planning on going pretty beefy. 5-6 inches wide and 4-5 inches off the ceiling.
                    My first thought is to tack the basic grid pattern on the ceiling with 2x4, or 2x6 if we go bigger, then make essentially two "U"s that fit over each other.
                    sort of like this:

Not sure if we are doing crowns on the interior of the "beams" as it may not match the style that the designer (my wife) is trying to achieve. So that would alter the image above slightly. The outer U would go to the ceiling. And I see no need to remove drywall, per the drawing.

Anyone done them? Tips, recommendations?
                    So far, so good.
                    --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                      coffered ceilings:
                      It seems like there are several ways to do it. We're planning on going pretty beefy. 5-6 inches wide and 4-5 inches off the ceiling.
                      My first thought is to tack the basic grid pattern on the ceiling with 2x4, or 2x6 if we go bigger, then make essentially two "U"s that fit over each other.
                      sort of like this:

Not sure if we are doing crowns on the interior of the "beams" as it may not match the style that the designer (my wife) is trying to achieve. So that would alter the image above slightly. The outer U would go to the ceiling. And I see no need to remove drywall, per the drawing.

Anyone done them? Tips, recommendations?
                      As long as you do a second coat of popcorn ceiling, it'll look great. Other than that, I wish I had useful advice.

Comment

Here are some good general ideas.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/insane...-your-new-home
                        *Banned*

Comment

crown molding question.
                          I've never been happy with my inside corners while doing crowns. They aren't water tight, and I always end up caulking more than I'd like.
                          I always cope, so the one side is easy, but measuring and cutting the other piece is a real pain. Especially for longer pieces. What are you tricks for getting a tighter fit?
                          I have a couple of big projects coming up, and I want to improve.
                          Did you mean that you cope with caulking more than you'd like? Or do you mean that you use a coping saw?
                          It is important that I understand exactly what you mean, as I will be judged by others if I fall short in my interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            Did you mean that you cope with caulking more than you'd like? Or do you mean that you use a coping saw?
                            It is important that I understand exactly what you mean, as I will be judged by others if I fall short in my interpretation.
                            I use coping saw. How do you measure the length to be coped accurately?

I know there are a lot of crowners here. Share your knowledge.
                            So far, so good.
                            --Steven Wright

Comment

I use coping saw. How do you measure the length to be coped accurately?

I know there are a lot of crowners here. Share your knowledge.
                              My solution to this was to buy about three times as much stock as I need because I usually ruined two or three lengths per cut.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                              X