General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    My solution to this was to buy about three times as much stock as I need because I usually ruined two or three lengths per cut.
    Yes, I think everyone has used this technique
    I'm looking for someone with a real solution. Maybe you really are a monkey.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Comment

concrete novice here.

will build a pole barn this year. 2 stalls, tack room, hay storage, and saddleup area. approximate size is 24x40.
      floor will be a concrete pad. supports posts will be 4x4 or 6x6, as needed. Supports will be bolted onto the pad. Nothing touching the dirt. All repairs will be done by the person who buys it after I'm dead.
      How is the best way to do footers under the support posts? Can I dig some holes where the posts will go, fill with concrete, then pour the pad on top of that? And if so, I'm assuming I put some rebar into the footers and bend them over so they tie into the pad? Or do I want to just let it float under, and bear the load of the posts?
      Does that make sense?

also, wifey is tired of rats in the tack room, and is demanding a tack room made of cinderblocks. I'm assuming I'll use the narrow ones to save space. How well doe these insulate? I can put something in the cinder block holes to help I guess. Will be covered on the outside with cement-board siding.

will name the barn "Allan", but might consider suggestions from anyone who gives me useful advice.
      So far, so good.
      --Steven Wright

Comment

I would assume that you are doing some minor excavation to prep the area for the slab. It should not take much more time to excavate for a thickened slab along the exterior, load bearing walls. I would add rebar in the thickened slab area to tie into the slab rebar or mesh.
        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
          I would assume that you are doing some minor excavation to prep the area for the slab. It should not take much more time to excavate for a thickened slab along the exterior, load bearing walls. I would add rebar in the thickened slab area to tie into the slab rebar or mesh.
          But what about the interior support beams?
          So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

Comment

I would have a thickened slab 24" wide in line with where the posts go with a depth of 12" from the top of the slab, placed monolythically. This is very common in home construction and is rather cost effective.
            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
              I would have a thickened slab 24" wide in line with where the posts go with a depth of 12" from the top of the slab, placed monolythically. This is very common in home construction and is rather cost effective.
              cool, thanks. This makes sense.
              PM me your naming suggestions, if you want, and I'll consider them.
              If you have any old, worn out nail clippers, I will embed them into the concrete as a testament to your help.
              So far, so good.
              --Steven Wright

Comment

Brian, post some photos of this project. I'd like to follow the work and see the end results. I don't know why, but I do.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                  crown molding question.
                  I've never been happy with my inside corners while doing crowns. They aren't water tight, and I always end up caulking more than I'd like.
                  I always cope, so the one side is easy, but measuring and cutting the other piece is a real pain. Especially for longer pieces. What are you tricks for getting a tighter fit?
                  I have a couple of big projects coming up, and I want to improve.
                  I recently sent this email to my BIL who is running trim all throughout his house (base, casings, crown, everything). He has zero experience in this, so my apologies for obvious things you already know.

First of all, the most difficult fit is the piece that has both ends coped, of which you should only have 1. In a square/rectangular room it should go like this

Wall 1: full length cut square end to end, no coping.
                  Wall 2: Cope the end that meets with Wall 1, square the other.
                  Wall 3: Cope the end that meets with Wall 2, square the other.
                  Wall 4: Cope both ends.

This gives you more leeway on the fit because the squared end can be as much as 1/4" short and it will be covered by the other piece.

Getting the measurement on that final piece is critical. Check it multiple times and make sure you're not measuring it short. There's no such thing as a board stretcher.

It can make for awkward handling, but with crown especially I try to make sure that the last piece (wall 4) is the longest run in the room, and that it's 1/16-3/32 longer than my measurement. This allows me to spring it in there and make sure it's a tight fit. The flexibility of the longer piece makes it possible to use brute force to push it into place while nailing it. Rather than nail from one end to the other, I have had good results in nailing in both ends first and then moving toward the middle. It's much easier (and better looking) to caulk a small gap against the wall/ceiling than the corner.

Getting the coped end to fit the crown it's butting up against can be tricky. The solution is to be patient and get some good files that fit your profile. The first cut is important. I want to get close to the line, but never hit it with the coping saw, then use files to get the detail work. I like to make a small notch with a sharp pocket/utility knife at the beginning of each so that the saw blade doesn't jump around and mess up the piece.

Be patient and don't overdo it on the filing. You have your mark on the wood, and you shouldn't be taking so much off that the line disappears. I like to take a piece of scrap, mark the correct angle (whatever that is for your moulding) on the face and use it to see how the coped end lines up, removing more where it needs it. Also remember that the inside corners of the coped area should be smooth and not have any ridges from the saw or where you broke a piece out to avoid over-sawing. If the file isn't getting in there without taking off too much material then I'll use a sharp pocket knife to get in there and trim it up. A little ridge in the corner can throw off your fit enough to be noticeable. Sometimes a wall that's not perfectly square will throw off your fit. The only solution there is to square the wall (not going to happen) or to use some caulk.

I hope that helps some. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll see if I can't explain it better. It's tough to do in writing. I just finished running trim in my basement. Of the 8 coped corners (for base caps) I was really happy with 3 of them, the others were acceptable, but nothing special. I'm ok with a 1/16 gap. I'll put caulk in the joint then put the coped piece in and nail it so that excess caulk squishes out, but the right amount got in there where it's supposed to be. I do that with all joints, regardless of how well I made them fit. Sometimes that's just the way they work out, at least for me.
                  Last edited by pellegrino; 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                    I recently sent this email to my BIL who is running trim all throughout his house (base, casings, crown, everything). He has zero experience in this, so my apologies for obvious things you already know.

First of all, the most difficult fit is the piece that has both ends coped, of which you should only have 1. In a square/rectangular room it should go like this

Wall 1: full length cut square end to end, no coping.
                    Wall 2: Cope the end that meets with Wall 1, square the other.
                    Wall 3: Cope the end that meets with Wall 2, square the other.
                    Wall 4: Cope both ends.

This gives you more leeway on the fit because the squared end can be as much as 1/4" short and it will be covered by the other piece.

Getting the measurement on that final piece is critical. Check it multiple times and make sure you're not measuring it short. There's no such thing as a board stretcher.

It can make for awkward handling, but with crown especially I try to make sure that the last piece (wall 4) is the longest run in the room, and that it's 1/16-3/32 longer than my measurement. This allows me to spring it in there and make sure it's a tight fit. The flexibility of the longer piece makes it possible to use brute force to push it into place while nailing it. Rather than nail from one end to the other, I have had good results in nailing in both ends first and then moving toward the middle. It's much easier (and better looking) to caulk a small gap against the wall/ceiling than the corner.

Getting the coped end to fit the crown it's butting up against can be tricky. The solution is to be patient and get some good files that fit your profile. The first cut is important. I want to get close to the line, but never hit it with the coping saw, then use files to get the detail work. I like to make a small notch with a sharp pocket/utility knife at the beginning of each so that the saw blade doesn't jump around and mess up the piece.

Be patient and don't overdo it on the filing. You have your mark on the wood, and you shouldn't be taking so much off that the line disappears. I like to take a piece of scrap, mark the correct angle (whatever that is for your moulding) on the face and use it to see how the coped end lines up, removing more where it needs it. Also remember that the inside corners of the coped area should be smooth and not have any ridges from the saw or where you broke a piece out to avoid over-sawing. If the file isn't getting in there without taking off too much material then I'll use a sharp pocket knife to get in there and trim it up. A little ridge in the corner can throw off your fit enough to be noticeable. Sometimes a wall that's not perfectly square will throw off your fit. The only solution there is to square the wall (not going to happen) or to use some caulk.

I hope that helps some. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll see if I can't explain it better. It's tough to do in writing. I just finished running trim in my basement. Of the 8 coped corners (for base caps) I was really happy with 3 of them, the others were acceptable, but nothing special. I'm ok with a 1/16 gap. I'll put caulk in the joint then put the coped piece in and nail it so that excess caulk squishes out, but the right amount got in there where it's supposed to be. I do that with all joints, regardless of how well I made them fit. Sometimes that's just the way they work out, at least for me.
                    Thanks a lot for this very detailed response. Some clever things I hadn't thought of.
                    What kind of files do you use?
                    So far, so good.
                    --Steven Wright

Comment

Why cope? Do you find it easier than using a miter saw? Even corners that aren't exactly 90° are fairly easy using an angle gauge and miter saw. They even have jigs that make it even easier.
                      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Driveway upgraded.
                        image.jpg
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

That's a huge driveway. Is there another hoop on the opposite side when you want to run full court?
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            That's a huge driveway. Is there another hoop on the opposite side when you want to run full court?
                            No, I wish, but the other side is the walkway to our front door. It wouldn't have been parallel.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                              Thanks a lot for this very detailed response. Some clever things I hadn't thought of.
                              What kind of files do you use?
                              I must have missed this when you posted it. The quality of the file isn't as important as the profile. I mainly use three: a small tapered half round file, a larger straight half round, and a small, triangular file. All of them are about a medium coarseness, they don't have to be really fine. I think I got mine in a set from Home Depot a long time ago and they're still working just fine, despite heavy use.
                              Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                              Why cope? Do you find it easier than using a miter saw? Even corners that aren't exactly 90° are fairly easy using an angle gauge and miter saw. They even have jigs that make it even easier.
                              Try doing both and see which gives you a better fit. If you're doing the coping right, it will be better every single time, and you don't have to fidget around with an angle finder, just scribe and cope.
                              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                                I must have missed this when you posted it. The quality of the file isn't as important as the profile. I mainly use three: a small tapered half round file, a larger straight half round, and a small, triangular file. All of them are about a medium coarseness, they don't have to be really fine. I think I got mine in a set from Home Depot a long time ago and they're still working just fine, despite heavy use.

Try doing both and see which gives you a better fit. If you're doing the coping right, it will be better every single time, and you don't have to fidget around with an angle finder, just scribe and cope.
                                Excellent. Thanks. On the list for my next HD run.
                                So far, so good.
                                --Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X