General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Just finished a credenza to match the built ins. Used real walnut for the top. When I originally put the top on it I realized I had made the top rail of the face frame too thick since there was a big gap between the top of the drawers and the walnut top. I took it back out to the garage and cutoff about a half inch to make it look better. Next up is a walnut desk and then the study is done.

That's great Moli. I want to do something similar for a desk in the kids' study area. How pricey was the Walnut?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
      Kitchen table project:

We found some nice wood from a salvage yard. Twas a barn door.

And moved it into the kitchen

Love that table... very nice work.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        That looks great. My OCD couldn't handle that one off-colored plank.
        More like FauxCD.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          More like FauxCD.
          [emoji58]
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• love that table, looks just like the one we grabbed from ikea
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              love that table, looks just like the one we grabbed from ikea
              I wonder if it was called the bjärndör.

Comment

• So it was all built up but no top and you cut it? Do you have a huge table saw that you ran it through? Or what did you do to get the cuts straight?

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Just finished a credenza to match the built ins. Used real walnut for the top. When I originally put the top on it I realized I had made the top rail of the face frame too thick since there was a big gap between the top of the drawers and the walnut top. I took it back out to the garage and cutoff about a half inch to make it look better. Next up is a walnut desk and then the study is done.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  That's great Moli. I want to do something similar for a desk in the kids' study area. How pricey was the Walnut?
                  Probably around $120 worth of walnut. There are four boards that are each about 4 1/4 x 66 inches and just over 3/4 inch thick. I bought 4 rough cut 5/4 boards and wanted to leave them at 1 inch thick but after milling I ended up closer to 3/4 inches due to them being more curvy than I originally thought. I do have some decent scraps left over and I love walnut for little projects. The built ins I did I used maple and stained it. I'm kind of regretting that decision since the natural walnut looks so good but doing the built ins table top using walnut would ahve been around $400 or more because of how long it is.

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  So it was all built up but no top and you cut it? Do you have a huge table saw that you ran it through? Or what did you do to get the cuts straight?
                  Yes, it was built without the top and I cut it but I used a circular saw and a track...make shift track saw basically. I have one from Kreg that I use all the time. It's a very cheap alternative to the $800 track saws and works just as well. I just laid the body of the credenza on it's back/front/side and just cut off the 1/2 inch using the saw. The interior support I couldn't reach with any type of electric saw so I used a pull saw and then planed them down with a hand planer.

The project ended up pretty much as I wanted it. It matches the built ins perfectly. The biggest challenge was putting the divider above the long bottom drawer so I could have two smaller drawers. I do think that if I did it again I'd add a little more curve to it, maybe a very slight curve on the bottom to make it less contemporary.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                    No.
                    And yes, would have been nice.
                    However, listened to a lot of podcasts while I sanded, so win a there.
                    I'm trying to figure out how you did the bread board ends. Were they just attached to the support underneath or did you secure them to the top? I want to do a table with bread board ends just to try it but I have no need for a table.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I’ve had most of the week off, which is bad news for my spending habits. I spent two full days turning the space above my garage into attic storage space. I’ve wanted to do this for a while but hadn’t ever had the time when the weather is right, until now.

Spent half a day framing out the space for the attic ladder and then installing it, which went swimmingly well.

Then I spent the rest of the first day rewiring a bunch of stuff to make it possible to lay down insulation (I’m eventually planning on climate controlling the garage) and a subfloor for storage. Lastly I installed a permanent light fixture.

The second was spent cutting, hauling and screwing down the subfloor. This part sucked and I’m glad it’s mostly over. I still want to build some shelving but that will wait. I also want to build a ladder to the upper attic, which you can get to right now if you can jump 9 feet.

Comment

• I also built some floating shelves for the game room so the kids can store their LEGO creations off the floor. This was much easier to do than I expected. It didn’t cost anything since I had the materials already left over from other projects.

Comment

I also built some floating shelves for the game room so the kids can store their LEGO creations off the floor. This was much easier to do than I expected. It didn’t cost anything since I had the materials already left over from other projects.

How do you fasten those shelves to the walls?
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            How do you fasten those shelves to the walls?
                            I first fastened some inch thick maple strips to the wall. They were basically in an L shape. The shelves are two pieces of plywood separated by an inch thick piece of wood, so they are essentially hollow. Then I just slid them over the previously secured maple strips and secured it all together with screws. Here’s the underside that shows some of the screws holding it together.

I always get to the end of the project and realize I didn’t take any photos of the process

Comment

I’ve had most of the week off, which is bad news for my spending habits. I spent two full days turning the space above my garage into attic storage space. I’ve wanted to do this for a while but hadn’t ever had the time when the weather is right, until now.

Spent half a day framing out the space for the attic ladder and then installing it, which went swimmingly well.

Then I spent the rest of the first day rewiring a bunch of stuff to make it possible to lay down insulation (I’m eventually planning on climate controlling the garage) and a subfloor for storage. Lastly I installed a permanent light fixture.

The second was spent cutting, hauling and screwing down the subfloor. This part sucked and I’m glad it’s mostly over. I still want to build some shelving but that will wait. I also want to build a ladder to the upper attic, which you can get to right now if you can jump 9 feet.
                              Did the same thing a couple of years ago with our garage remodel. We love it.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how you did the bread board ends. Were they just attached to the support underneath or did you secure them to the top? I want to do a table with bread board ends just to try it but I have no need for a table.
                                I used biscuits to attach the top board, and then put a larger board underneath that was notched to make room for the side rails and could be glued and screwed to the bottom of the table.

The bottom view is here:

And when taking that last photo I realized that I forgot to take off the black tape that sealed up the epoxy drips when filling all the voids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I intend to live forever.
                                So far, so good.
                                --Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X