X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
    here you go

[ATTACH]8191[/ATTACH]
    So that drop in the ceiling... was that just for the old lighting? That a smart idea to take that out.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• yep

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I hate Rocky Mountain Power (or whatever they are calling themselves now)

It's been 19 days since we passed the city inspections. We should have had power in 7-10 working days. The contractor called the power company to move the meter and hook up the power to the garage. Today we called to find out what the problem was and get an estimated time they were going to move the meter. They said that the hold up was that we - the homeowner hadn't authorized the movement. According the contractor he has spoken to them 4 or 5 time in the last 10 days and NOBODY said anything about needing homeowner authorization. It will be 7-10 working days from today to have the meter moved and power in the garage

Appearently adding a garage and moving the meter is considered new construction

I'm too damn nice for my own good sometimes
        Last edited by happyone; 11-20-2017, 09:03 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• We have a Jack n Jill bathroom in our upstairs and one side used to have a door that led from the hallway as well as the other door that led into the bedroom. This caused the bathroom to only have a really small vanity/sink combo with very little storage. Go figure, we put our oldest daughter. Ever since she became a teenager (or started wearing makeup or at least around that time) she's wanted more counter and storage space. We finally decided to close off the door from the hallway since it rarely gets used and we wanted to put in a vanity that would span the entire width of the sink area room. While I'm sure I could have closed off the door area since it's not very hard to frame out, I didn't want to do the drywall since I suck at drywall. We had a contractor close it in back in the spring when we were also putting recessed lighting in the kitchen. He charged us like $300 to do it.

However, I wanted to build the vanity. I had a couple other projects to finish up before working on it so I finally got around to it this fall. The original plan was to simply extend the existing vanity, so I built an extension that look just like the other but had a seating area and drawers. I ordered a custom vanity top, however the vanity top maker messed up and put the sink bowl 5 inches too far to the right. That meant I either had to return the vanity top or just scrap the vanity I built and just build an entire vanity that would span the entire length and would fit the messed up vanity top. I called to see about a return and they held firm that I had given them the wrong measurements. I was sure I didn't since the measurement they had was nothing close to anything else I had given them or ever measured. Since the vanity top was through Home Depot (it was a supplier that made it so HD was just the intermediary) they offered to refund the amount and order a new one. I was pretty upset but after sleeping on it, I decided it would be best to just build one custom vanity instead of going through the hassle of the return, waiting, and to be honest the older vanity could use some upgrades and the placement of the sink in the new vanity top was actually better, to be honest.

I set to work building the entire thing which forced me to revise all my plans, but this time I could make it exactly as my daughter wanted without the constraints of the old vanity dimensions. I bought some new plywood and within a weeks time, jsut working at night after the kids go to bed, I had it done. My daughter and I painted it over the weekend (Sat/Sun) and I decided to wait unitl Tuesday to install it since I knew I'd need HD or Lowes to be open for stuff I didn't have at the time.

Anyway, I just got done installing it and it turned out pretty good for my first vanity. There were a couple difficult things with the install (given the tight quarters and it being my first time) but overall I'm very pleased with the end result. I still have to paint the drawers and build the doors for the drain area. Here's a couple pictures of the process:

qAyaupcQQB2MtCUk9WohFg.jpg

Tkuf1QFhQHKCWZ1AGG0TnA.jpg

qTUZpqHxQianzfGOEUHYZQ.jpg

3FKQGBz6Sc23ILdQ6Cn9Dg.jpg

mDIGEbtAT3mhLup2W8V2gg.jpg
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Very nice, Moli... If that accounting gig doesn't work out for you come up to the Big D. I have some work that you can help me with.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Not much relaxing this week. I've been doing little projects all week that get put off because I'm always behind at work. One such project was tearing out the old shelves in our storage room, which were too deep, and put in shelves on both sides with an aisle down the center.

After getting that done, there was a wet spot in the corner of the storage room. :yikes: So today I pulled off the not so dry wall. Thankfully it was put up with screws, so I'll be able to reuse it. It really only got a little wet on the bottom corner. The grey water drain from the kitchen runs across the top of the wall and down that corner. The 90 degree elbow was leaking. No permanent damage. I patched it up with new pipe, and put a fan on it to dry it out.

I was going to build new shelves, but opted to buy some shelving units I can put together easily. I've actually had a blast this week working with my hands. It's good for the soul.

Comment

• Where’s the pics?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  [ATTACH]8436[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8437[/ATTACH]
                  Drawers installed and doors built/attached. Had to do a little touch up paint. Overall, I’m pleased with it.

Comment

• Question. Is there enough room for these drawers to open all the way?

moliere's cabinet.jpg
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      Question. Is there enough room for these drawers to open all the way?

[ATTACH]8479[/ATTACH]
                      Yes, there is, but only because they are only 10 inches long. I had to make sure you could fully take the drawers out. Kind of sucks they are shallow, but it's the only thing that would fit. I would have made cubbies on that side and put hte drawers on the other side, but the sink placement made it impossible to put decent sized drawers on the other side.

The angle of that wall and the other door jamb made installing the cabinets a littel difficult. After trying several different angles, I finally put one in all the way and then lifted the other one up over the other and basically dropped it straight down into position.

Comment

• Here’s the first cabinet I made for the vanity. It is the one that didn’t work because of the placement of the sink. Instead of scrapping it, MJ had the great idea of turning it into a desk. So I threw a piece of plywood on top and viola!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Where’s the pics?!?!

Here you go. Not much to look at, which is why I never really thought to take a picture.

IMG_20180107_172631.jpg

Comment

• Bought a Kreg K5 Jig the other day off of Amazon. It has been a revelation. Perfect frames, every time.

kreg_k5.jpg
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              Bought a Kreg K5 Jig the other day off of Amazon. It has been a revelation. Perfect frames, every time.

[ATTACH]8522[/ATTACH]
                              They are very useful tools. I bought one ten or so years ago and suddenly pocket hole joinery was the answer to every wood working question I had.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• how do these compare to biscuits?
                                I've been a biscuit guy since I saw Norm Abrams using them on PBS
                                I intend to live forever.
                                So far, so good.
                                --Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X