No announcement yet.

General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few weeks after it was completed and sitting in the kitchen my wife and I were unpleasantly woken up by a tremendous cracking sound.
    I wondered if the cat knocked something over but couldn’t see it.
    Later that night I saw a large crack in the table. I obviously didn’t climatize the wood enough.

No worries: just epoxied the crack, re-rsanded and sealed and it looks even better.
    We never stained it because we liked the color of the wood as is. Just sealed it with a flat sealer we got from woodcraft.

While pulling out nails, one of them broke off. So, we left it in and just sanded it smooth. Gives it some nice character I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Comment

• Finished the floating shelves on the other side of that nook. These were much bigger at about 18x36 inches. I was a little nervous about them holding but so far so good. They seem strong.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Making a work bench that will double as a table saw out feed table.
        And, to save on space I’m adding some robotics to it......

First step is to cut a bunch of metal.

Sorry to brag, but someone just jumped up a few tax brackets.

Weld it together.

And the frame is getting there...

So far, so good.
        --Steven Wright

Comment

• It’s hard to explain without pictures of it done, but the table will be stored above the table saw. So, I’ve made the legs telescope, and added some linear actuators to raise and lower the table.

The table is upside down, and one actuator is test fit.

All 4 actuators raised to full height.

Each actuator has a working limit of 330 pounds. Which is more than enough for projects.

So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

Comment

• Brian that's pretty cool. I wish I had a shop garage. It's one of my dreams.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

• Nicely done!

Comment

• I’m not fully understanding how it will be stored above the table saw so post some pics when it’s done.

I’m jealous you know how to weld and do metal work.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Some soldering up of controls

The on-off-on switch is for up and down of the table, and the 4 toggle switches are to control each leg independently of I ever need to do that for leveling at a particular height. However, things seem to work pretty evenly, so perhaps overkill.

So far, so good.
                  --Steven Wright

Comment

• First test.

So far, so good.
                    --Steven Wright

Comment

• Not an upgrade, but I am cutting down a 30' black locust tree whose roots are to close the patio that we converted to a bedroom for my daughter last year. Things have gone pretty well. I managed to get some webbing high in the tree and my wife belayed me as I worked on the really high branches. And then I would your that and lower the branches using ropes and we're about to good then down so as not to hit my house or the neighbors'.

Now just some big limbs to cut, which I was doing yesterday. Lowering one, I was standing behind the trunk when it caught on something and swing around the tree towards me. It ended up snacking the crap out of my arm. Luckily I was wearing my flannel as it protected me a bit. The force the blow did split my arm and I ended up having to get 4 stitches to close up my forearm.

Be careful out there. If the thing had had hit me elsewhere it could have killed me. That is some freaking heavy wood.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        Not an upgrade, but I am cutting down a 30' black locust tree whose roots are to close the patio that we converted to a bedroom for my daughter last year. Things have gone pretty well. I managed to get some webbing high in the tree and my wife belayed me as I worked on the really high branches. And then I would your that and lower the branches using ropes and we're about to good then down so as not to hit my house or the neighbors'.

Now just some big limbs to cut, which I was doing yesterday. Lowering one, I was standing behind the trunk when it caught on something and swing around the tree towards me. It ended up snacking the crap out of my arm. Luckily I was wearing my flannel as it protected me a bit. The force the blow did split my arm and I ended up having to get 4 stitches to close up my forearm.

Be careful out there. If the thing had had hit me elsewhere it could have killed me. That is some freaking heavy wood.
                        Stay safe, bro. Looks like it must have whacked you upside the head, too; you're channeling grapevine.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                          Stay safe, bro. Looks like it must have whacked you upside the head, too; you're channeling grapevine.
                          I blame it on phone typing.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            I blame it on phone typing.
                            Glad you're ok. What are you going to do with all the wood?
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              What are you going to do with all the wood?
                              Twss.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Glad you're ok. What are you going to do with all the wood?
                                Burn it. We heat our house during the winter with our wood stove. This will supplement the 2 cords of pine I plan on harvesting this summer in the national Forest.

Comment

Working...
                                X