Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: General Upgrades & Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Burn it. We heat our house during the winter with our wood stove. This will supplement the 2 cords of pine I plan on harvesting this summer in the national Forest.
    piney is a lit’ral mountain man. who knew.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Burn it. We heat our house during the winter with our wood stove. This will supplement the 2 cords of pine I plan on harvesting this summer in the national Forest.
    If it is a 30' black locust it is more likely that the pine will supplement it. That stuff burns hot and slow.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    If it is a 30' black locust it is more likely that the pine will supplement it. That stuff burns hot and slow.
    Yeah it is great. That is the stuff we put in at night and let it burn till the morning without having to feed the fire box. The pine is for the waking hours.

Found some nice retractable rollers for the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Table top attached.
    Two layers of 3/4”, bottom is plywood and top is MDF. Made it two layers so I can replace the MDF as it gets worn out.

So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Here it is stored above my table saw.

I need to get the wires attached and out of the way, but it fits and works.

So, combination work table, out feed table that can be stored in the useless space above my table saw.

Last edited by Brian; 04-10-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Wires are all connected and strapped into place. I welded some pipe to serve as wire protectors.

So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Ready to try out with first major project

So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

I'm ready to get a tracksaw.
    It appears that the Makita, Dewalt and Festool are pretty much equal for hobbies.
    Anyone have particular experience with these?

I would like to use it for ripping full sheets of plywood. It's doable, but requires a lot of care with my current setup to keep the the plywood against the fence the whole way. And I'm only getting older. Anyone have experience with attaching two 55" tracks for ripping entire sheets? I'm nervous about how sturdy it is. I'm likely to buy the additional single track for doing 8' rips, but am happy to spend less on 2x55" if they work well. Anyone have experience there?

Warm regards,
    Brian
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm ready to get a tracksaw.
    It appears that the Makita, Dewalt and Festool are pretty much equal for hobbies.
    Anyone have particular experience with these?

I would like to use it for ripping full sheets of plywood. It's doable, but requires a lot of care with my current setup to keep the the plywood against the fence the whole way. And I'm only getting older. Anyone have experience with attaching two 55" tracks for ripping entire sheets? I'm nervous about how sturdy it is. I'm likely to buy the additional single track for doing 8' rips, but am happy to spend less on 2x55" if they work well. Anyone have experience there?

Warm regards,
    Brian
    No experience with those track saws but I’d think doing 8 feet at once might be tough. Seems like you could do it in stages and get a decent result. I use the Kreg jig that turns my circular saw into a track saw. It works well enough for what I use it for. I rip 8 foot sections in two steps. If I really need the edge straight i first use the track saw in two stages and cut it just barely proud of my measurement. Then I use a table saw with an outfeed table and a roller at the infeed to finish cutting to length. Makes handling the material easier. But I only need very straight cuts if I’m joining boards together, which I rarely am with plywood.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Plus, Festools saw is like $1,000 vs the $70 for the Kreg jig
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf