General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    Burn it. We heat our house during the winter with our wood stove. This will supplement the 2 cords of pine I plan on harvesting this summer in the national Forest.
    piney is a lit’ral mountain man. who knew.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      Burn it. We heat our house during the winter with our wood stove. This will supplement the 2 cords of pine I plan on harvesting this summer in the national Forest.
      If it is a 30' black locust it is more likely that the pine will supplement it. That stuff burns hot and slow.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        If it is a 30' black locust it is more likely that the pine will supplement it. That stuff burns hot and slow.
        Yeah it is great. That is the stuff we put in at night and let it burn till the morning without having to feed the fire box. The pine is for the waking hours.

Comment

• Found some nice retractable rollers for the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I intend to live forever.
          So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

Comment

• Table top attached.
            Two layers of 3/4”, bottom is plywood and top is MDF. Made it two layers so I can replace the MDF as it gets worn out.

So far, so good.
            --Steven Wright

Comment

• Here it is stored above my table saw.

I need to get the wires attached and out of the way, but it fits and works.

So, combination work table, out feed table that can be stored in the useless space above my table saw.

Last edited by Brian; 04-10-2019, 10:45 AM.
              So far, so good.
              --Steven Wright

Comment

• Wires are all connected and strapped into place. I welded some pipe to serve as wire protectors.

So far, so good.
                --Steven Wright

Comment

• Ready to try out with first major project

So far, so good.
                  --Steven Wright

Comment

• I'm ready to get a tracksaw.
                    It appears that the Makita, Dewalt and Festool are pretty much equal for hobbies.
                    Anyone have particular experience with these?

I would like to use it for ripping full sheets of plywood. It's doable, but requires a lot of care with my current setup to keep the the plywood against the fence the whole way. And I'm only getting older. Anyone have experience with attaching two 55" tracks for ripping entire sheets? I'm nervous about how sturdy it is. I'm likely to buy the additional single track for doing 8' rips, but am happy to spend less on 2x55" if they work well. Anyone have experience there?

Warm regards,
                    Brian
                    So far, so good.
                    --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                      I'm ready to get a tracksaw.
                      It appears that the Makita, Dewalt and Festool are pretty much equal for hobbies.
                      Anyone have particular experience with these?

I would like to use it for ripping full sheets of plywood. It's doable, but requires a lot of care with my current setup to keep the the plywood against the fence the whole way. And I'm only getting older. Anyone have experience with attaching two 55" tracks for ripping entire sheets? I'm nervous about how sturdy it is. I'm likely to buy the additional single track for doing 8' rips, but am happy to spend less on 2x55" if they work well. Anyone have experience there?

Warm regards,
                      Brian
                      No experience with those track saws but I’d think doing 8 feet at once might be tough. Seems like you could do it in stages and get a decent result. I use the Kreg jig that turns my circular saw into a track saw. It works well enough for what I use it for. I rip 8 foot sections in two steps. If I really need the edge straight i first use the track saw in two stages and cut it just barely proud of my measurement. Then I use a table saw with an outfeed table and a roller at the infeed to finish cutting to length. Makes handling the material easier. But I only need very straight cuts if I’m joining boards together, which I rarely am with plywood.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Plus, Festools saw is like $1,000 vs the $70 for the Kreg jig
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Plus, Festools saw is like $1,000 vs the $70 for the Kreg jig
                          I split the difference and got the Makita track saw. It came yesterday, I used it today, and it was glorious.
                          I should have bought one of these a long, long time ago.
                          So far, so good.
                          --Steven Wright

Comment

• Are the Nest/Ecobee thermostats worth the money? I'm thinking about buying the Nest because it has the geofencing (senses when you're gone from your phone and knows when you get close to home), and, more importantly, you can adjust the balance between when your heat pump runs alone and when your auxiliary heat kicks in.

I went with the simple digital thermostat that came with our house for the first ten years, but bought a programmable thermostat last year. My electric bill went up fairly substantially last winter and I'm pretty sure it was because this Honeywell PoS was just turning on the auxiliary heat and not letting the heat pump ramp up.

I know heat pumps don't work when it's below 35, but this past winter was fairly mild and the only thing I changed from the year before was the thermostat. My old thermostat would show an icon when the aux heat kicked in, the Honeywell was more unclear. I may literally have the cheapest electricity in the country (6 cents per kilowatt), but between Dec and Feb, I wouldn't be surprised if my electricity usage went up around $100-150 total over those three months from the year before.

Anyway, do you guys like the Nest?
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• I bought two ecobees on prime day. I’m not sure yet if they are worth the money, but they’ve been nice to have. They are very easy to control and were easy to install. I like that they have sensors, which I’ve placed around the house to sense when the home is occupied and the to help with the disparate temps in the house. It’s been nice to have it sense that people are gone as the AC does run less sing rive set it the temp two degrees higher when the home isn’t occupied.

However, to be honest, I really bought them because my kids upstairs will crank the AC or heat so now I can lock it down or at least know when the are messing with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                I bought two ecobees on prime day. I’m not sure yet if they are worth the money, but they’ve been nice to have. They are very easy to control and were easy to install. I like that they have sensors, which I’ve placed around the house to sense when the home is occupied and the to help with the disparate temps in the house. It’s been nice to have it sense that people are gone as the AC does run less sing rive set it the temp two degrees higher when the home isn’t occupied.

However, to be honest, I really bought them because my kids upstairs will crank the AC or heat so now I can lock it down or at least know when the are messing with it.
                                I also have a specific reason to buy a Nest -- getting control of the auxiliary heat. My auxiliary heat isn't some additional gas furnace, it's an electric heating element and it burns through a ton of electricity. My electric bills in January and February were around 1/3 higher than the year before. If anything, we turned the temp down last winter. I either have to buy a Nest or just put my old basic tstat back on. There's no way for me to get into the Honeywell PoS and tell it to ride out the heat pump for awhile before going to the aux.
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X