General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
    We got some inheritence money with the sale of my FIL home and have completely gutted the kitchen and dining area as well as changing a one car car port to a 2 car garage. Since we have the money we are having it done.

I was going to have a cook top with a wall oven, but when pricing I found that a cooktop was about $500 more than a range, plus the cost of the wall oven
    it's worth it. get gas.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      it's worth it. get gas.
      thnx for the advice - we did!

The kitchen and dining area are completely gutted right now - it amazing how much bigger it looks. It also echos quite a bit. The dogs DID NOT like walking across the plywood flooring to get outside at first, but they've gotten used to it.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        I'm not particularly good with building things. I started a project a week or so ago. Trying to install a new shoe storage bench in the entry from the garage. The spot is L-shaped - about 50" long and 30" deep. I framed the top shelf with 2x3s and the lower two shelves with 2x2s. I'll secure the back of the shelves to the studs in the wall and have 2x3 vertical supports on either end. The top shelf and sides will be encased with a 1x12 board. The lower shelves just have a couple 2x2s spanning the middle.

The main issues I'm dealing with now are as follows:

- I have a lot of sanding to do
        - I have a lot of staining or painting to do
        - The wall has molding at the base that I don't want to remove, so I'll probably have to put a notch into the bottom corner of each of the 1x12 boards on the sides.
        - I need a vertical support at the front junction of the "L" to make sure this thing can hold up to someone like me sitting on it. Probably need to pick up some metal plates so I can attach a 2x2 or 2x3 between each shelf and down to the floor.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post them so you all can help me turn this into something not too embarrassing.
        Still have some touch-up work to do, but I'm calling this project substantially completed.

I ended up using 2x12 boards for the vertical supports and 1x12's for the seating surface. My original 2x3 bench frame was the same dimensions as the other shelves. I swapped out for longer 2x3's that would span the whole length of the bench for greater stability. Each shelf is also secured to studs in the wall.

I made plenty of mistakes along the way. The one that I'm most annoyed with right now is that I should have used a rougher sandpaper and sanded a lot more. It's not nearly as smooth as I thought before I started with the primer and paint.

Here are the pictures of the new shoe storage system along with one of the old systems:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Looks great. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Throw some shoes in there so we can see it at work!
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• looks great. was ikea having a sale?
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                looks great. was ikea having a sale?
                That would have been a lot easier. And quicker. And probably would have meant less clutter in my garage for the last 7 months.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Finally got the electrical into the barn
                  electrical.jpg

And water. (and drain)
                  water.jpg

Base for the sink to sit on.
                  sinkBase.jpg
                  Attached Files
                  I intend to live forever.
                  So far, so good.
                  --Steven Wright

Comment

• The kitchen is finished - I really like it - gas range and a electric wall oven. Thanksgiving and Christmas baking should be handled

The contractor started the demo for the garage this week - currently, there is no concrete in what was the car port and very deep footings as well as the old carports rafters are exposed. We hope pour the footings this week and get the whole this done in about 6 weeks. There is a question of whether or not we will be able to save the old carport. It seems the structural engineer wants more rafters or something. When the contractor opened up the rafters his thought was we should be able to save it, just have to get the SE to agree.

I'll post some pics of the kitchen if anyone is interested.
                    Last edited by happyone; 08-29-2017, 09:50 PM.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

I'll post some pics of the kitchen if anyone is interested.
                      Yes, please.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• here you go

BeforeampAfter2.JPG

BeforeampAfter3.JPG

BeforeampAfter1.JPG

P1016264.JPG

P1016439.JPG
                        Last edited by happyone; 08-30-2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Nice. I like the blue lamp shades.

Comment

• Bravo. I am impressed.
                            hi

Comment

• Looks great. Love the cabinets.

Comment

...The contractor started the demo for the garage this week - currently, there is no concrete in what was the car port and very deep footings as well as the old carports rafters are exposed. We hope pour the footings this week and get the whole this done in about 6 weeks. There is a question of whether or not we will be able to save the old carport. It seems the structural engineer wants more rafters or something. When the contractor opened up the rafters his thought was we should be able to save it, just have to get the SE to agree.
                                Thnx all for the comments

Structurally the garage is done and usable, we were able to use the existing rafters. All that is left is to get power to it and it the siding installed. The power company needs to move the meter, hopefully sometime this week and then we will have power and be able to close the garage doors. We are having the siding replaced on the whole house except on the front where there is a lot of brick work - getting rid of the 1970s aluminium siding and putting an awning/poach the whole length of the front. The siding and awning should be done next week and then I'll have my house back.
                                Last edited by happyone; 11-08-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X