Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the mormon reformation

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

Default the mormon reformation

http://mormonreformation.blogspot.com/

Between the hours of 9 PM Saturday, February 16 and 9 AM Sunday, February 17, 2013, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and others will post this list of 95 LDS Theses onto the doors of LDS churches around the world.
    Not sure what good it will do but hey if it floats your boat.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    http://mormonreformation.blogspot.com/

Not sure what good it will do but hey if it floats your boat.
    Interesting.

It's a poor homage to Luther's theses, which were intended to provoke ecclesiastical debate rather than just to bitch and complain.

In the 16th century, posting theses on the door of a church was the conventional way to start a debate. I'm guessing the LDS church isn't getting ready to wheel out a modern version of Johann Eck.

But hey, maybe someone will learn something from this.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Oh brother.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

94. Church leaders often teach us that "warm feelings" are more valid in determining truth than actual, verifiable scholarship.

I do hope this causes the church to relax on the WOW. That thing is a drag.

I like the semi-gothic script they used for the title, subheadings and the numbers. It's just edgy enough to get the feel of the late medieval, but modern enough to still be legible.

These guys are really going about it the wrong way. I'd be surprised if more than a few hundred churches get these posted on their doors. I'd be even more surprised if anyone other than the PEC see them, as they'll be taken down long before anyone arrives for morning services.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Stupid.

Joycelyn Elders Supporter SoonerCoug's Avatar

Yeah, this is ridiculous.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

*Anti-Mormons do embarrassing things
    Last edited by Commando; 02-13-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Oh brother.
    Yeah. Wow. Ignoring the fact that a lot of those statements are iffy at best (I think the church has done a decent job of dealing with MMM lately, and View of the Hebrews is hardly conclusive, just for starters), posting this on the door of the chapel is really going to do a lot. We have stake conference this weekend; shall I put this on the door and see how that goes?

Also, they are aware there already was a Mormon reformation, right?
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Mormonism is a religion of perpetual individual reformation.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    Yeah. Wow. Ignoring the fact that a lot of those statements are iffy at best (I think the church has done a decent job of dealing with MMM lately, and View of the Hebrews is hardly conclusive, just for starters), posting this on the door of the chapel is really going to do a lot. We have stake conference this weekend; shall I put this on the door and see how that goes?

Also, they are aware there already was a Mormon reformation, right?
    You should wait until after stake conference. Who goes to stake conference?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Interesting.

It's a poor homage to Luther's theses, which were intended to provoke ecclesiastical debate rather than just to bitch and complain.

In the 16th century, posting theses on the door of a church was the conventional way to start a debate. I'm guessing the LDS church isn't getting ready to wheel out a modern version of Johann Eck.

But hey, maybe someone will learn something from this.
    This. Definitely not in the spirit of the original theses. I don't know that arguments are just bitching and complaining, but they certainly aren't trying to right the wrongs of the church. They are simply trying to tear it down.

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

It's not worth the trouble to reform. Regardless, we are beyond the religious epochs, except for death throes.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

I've Made a Huge Mistake. Harry Tic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It's not worth the trouble to reform. Regardless, we are beyond the religious epochs, except for death throes.
    Pray for us, SU, now and at the hour of our death. We know that you're dying to give us the sacrament of extreme unction.
    Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
    --William Blake, via Shpongle

I've Made a Huge Mistake. Harry Tic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Mormonism is a religion of perpetual individual reformation.
    That's a beaut, Indy. Too bad it will probably get buried in this thread. A bit bumper-stickerish, but I like it.
    Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
    --William Blake, via Shpongle

This is a list of every complaint made about the church on CUF since it's inception.

More than half of the charges will go away if you don't believe the church is true. These are the statements that go like this:

"GA [Name] said this, but it wasn't true. If GA [Name] had real inspiration, he would not have made this mistake."

If you don't accept that GA receives revelation, then it isn't a problem. They can't have it both ways. Either he is a man of God, in which case the dissonance arises but can be explained (Lebowski's pal Charles Harrell does a great job of this in his preface of This is My Doctrine), or he is not a man of God, in which case he shouldn't be expected to get it right.

It's a pretty comprehensive list of every charge the anti-Mos have ever leveled, I'm sort of relieved that it is less than 3 digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    It's a pretty comprehensive list of every charge the anti-Mos have ever leveled, I'm sort of relieved that it is less than 3 digits.
    I think it's just a sign that they were rational enough to realize they had to pick their battles.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

How exactly are they trying to achieve reform? Sounds to me like extinction fits more into what they would like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    This is a list of every complaint made about the church on CUF since it's inception.
    I disagree. Not even we have stooped to some of those claims.

That reads like a checklist on exmormon.org or something. Extinction manifesto indeed.

If it was a list that was aimed at, "hey, give women the priesthood" or something like that I could see the point. Insiders demanding change, sure. But this I don't get.

This will do nothing more than make people feel persecuted. Why do this? This is like when those annoying Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door uninvited, hand you a pamphlet, and look for an opportunity to tell you that your current beliefs are wrong/inadequate/harmful. Mormons leave others alone. They should be left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tic View Post
    Pray for us, SU, now and at the hour of our death. We know that you're dying to give us the sacrament of extreme unction.
    Harry tickles me, and makes me want more.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post

These guys are really going about it the wrong way. I'd be surprised if more than a few hundred churches get these posted on their doors. I'd be even more surprised if anyone other than the PEC see them, as they'll be taken down long before anyone arrives for morning services.
    No kidding. The best approach would be to contact all of the sweet old ladies with the "Program Coordinator" callings to ask them to insert the information into the sacrament meeting program.

But then again, maybe that would create font issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    No kidding. The best approach would be to contact all of the sweet old ladies with the "Program Coordinator" callings to ask them to insert the information into the sacrament meeting program.

But then again, maybe that would create font issues.
    As a former program maker, I can attest that you don't mess with the fonts.

Speaking of fonts, I've always thought funny the following quote. "I've been wanting to write out my life plan, but I can't decide on a font."

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Dam! So I could have had a Bar in my home this whole time just like Joseph Smith? Socially drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Y84it View Post
    Dam! So I could have had a Bar in my home this whole time just like Joseph Smith? Socially drink?
    Poor Joseph only had it in his "home" (technically a hotel at that point) for a short time. He built it for Porter Rockwell to operate. Then Emma got back from St Louis and told Joseph either the bar went or she and the children went. And so the bar went.

Poor Joseph only had it in his "home" (technically a hotel at that point) for a short time. He built it for Porter Rockwell to operate. Then Emma got back from St Louis and told Joseph either the bar went or she and the children went. And so the bar went.

Is there a bigger buzzkill in church history than Emma Smith? It would be so much cooler to be Mormon today if she hadn't been so uptight.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Is there a bigger buzzkill in church history than Emma Smith? It would be so much cooler to be Mormon today if she hadn't been so uptight.
    She's always like pushin' pregnant sister-wives down the stairs an' complainin' about chaw on the floor an' bars in the house an' shit.

Yeah, just exactly what are they trying to reform? Their theses strike at the heart of every Mormon claim to truth.

I don't have a problem with them bringing up most of these facts. But it's obvious that they're not trying to reform the church. They would have a stronger point if they said something like, 'there's real problems with the church. Here's 96 of them. If you want to stay, do yourself a favor and do not take the church so seriously.'