What camera to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    I'd probably have my kid ask the teacher which of the options are acceptable.
    We already asked and she gave us a paper that had the options needed, which is basically a DSLR camera with manual controls. They keep it wide open so people can use what they have/want, but it does make it difficult for the novice that doesn’t know the gear.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
      https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_digital.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_digital.html

Lots of people liked the t2i when it came out, but bodies age quickly (similar lifespan to other portable electronics). The t4i is dated now also, but it includes the flippy touch screen which makes some things easier for beginners.

Many local shops carry used gear. Some with national shipping options:

keh.com
      bhphotovideo.com
      adorama.com

costco often carries new kits, as do the other retailers:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_t7_dslr.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_t6_dslr.html

Any of the DSLR's will have all of the settings required by the class.

In the bottom range, it's often a better value to just buy the lowest kit which often runs around $400.
      Thanks, this was helpful.

It just so happens that the kid getting the camera is also the most absent minded. My semi-founded fear is she loses it. She’s also the artist in the family, which is probably why she is absent minded.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

It just so happens that the kid getting the camera is also the most absent minded. My semi-founded fear is she loses it. She’s also the artist in the family, which is probably why she is absent minded.
        Photography is a nice mix of engineering and understanding of basic optics and artistry. DSLRs are a little harder to misplace than a phone. There are non-interchangeable lens cameras that also have manual settings that will meet the need. But the good ones are just as expensive as the basic DSLR kits.

Does the class offer an assortment of lenses that they can borrow? Even if they can't supply a camera to each student, they may have some gear that can be loaned. Would be useful to know if the school has committed some resource to a specific brand. Either Nikon or Canon are great and similarly priced. Often you can get a two-lens kit for a decent price, though the relative quality of the longer focal length zoom (usually a 70-300mm f/4 - f/5.6) is suspect. The kit 18-55mm lenses are usually quite good.

Comment

What does being absent minded have to do with being an artist? Regardless, there is potentially a huge upside to being forgetful.

Comment

Spent some time looking last night. So far I think I like the Canon EOS Rebel T6 and the Nikon D3500. I think I’ll buy a new one and I can get either of these for around $350 including the 18-55 lens and case. I think we are going to make it her birthday gift. Any thoughts on those two models?

Comment

Spent some time looking last night. So far I think I like the Canon EOS Rebel T6 and the Nikon D3500. I think I’ll buy a new one and I can get either of these for around $350 including the 18-55 lens and case. I think we are going to make it her birthday gift. Any thoughts on those two models?
              They are both good choices. The only thing you may want to consider is what Swamp brought up: what lenses does the instructor have and that can be lent out to students. If they are Cannon lenses then buy a Cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                They are both good choices. The only thing you may want to consider is what Swamp brought up: what lenses does the instructor have and that can be lent out to students. If they are Cannon lenses then buy a Cannon.
                I think you may have suggested this on someone else's previous similar dilemma which I'm parroting. I can't remember anything anymore...

Comment

Not a camera but lenses. What, if anything, do people here think of Sigma lenses? I am thinking of a couple for tour coming up. A 18-300 F3.5-6.3 and a 150-600 F5-6.3. I know the aperture isn't the greatest but they have good reviews on Amazon and I like especially the 18-300, which would replace my 18-55 and 70-300 that came with the kit when I bought my camera. If it matters, I have a Nikon D7200.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                    Not a camera but lenses. What, if anything, do people here think of Sigma lenses? I am thinking of a couple for tour coming up. A 18-300 F3.5-6.3 and a 150-600 F5-6.3. I know the aperture isn't the greatest but they have good reviews on Amazon and I like especially the 18-300, which would replace my 18-55 and 70-300 that came with the kit when I bought my camera. If it matters, I have a Nikon D7200.
                    Prior to your question, I hadn't given Sigma lenses a single thought. That 18-300 lens seems to be pretty well-rated on Amazon - 4.4 of 5. That's about all I've got.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                      No personal experience with the Sigma lenses. The Art series is well regarded. Superzoom's are great travel lenses. The quick googling I did seems to tilt in it's favor. If you have 300mm reach elsewhere, you don't need the 150-600 unless you are shooting wildlife or large field sports. If you like to shoot birds, the 600mm end of the zoom will change your world.

Comment

Working...
                      X