What camera to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What camera to get?

I'm thinking about getting a new digital camera as the one that I have is about a decade old. I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix ones so far because they have the wifi feature. I'm kind of in love with the idea of being able to transfer pictures off of the camera without having to use a cable. Anyhow, my budget is right around the $300 range.

Any suggestions?

Are you primarily looking for a small camera or open to a DSLR? I'd save a little more and get a Canon T3 or Nikon D3100. They can be had in the $399-$450 range.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      Are you primarily looking for a small camera or open to a DSLR? I'd save a little more and get a Canon T3 or Nikon D3100. They can be had in the $399-$450 range.
      Probably a small camera but I'm open to a DSLR if the price is good enough.

Comment

The only suggestion that I would give for a point and shoot is make sure there is no shutter delay.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          The only suggestion that I would give for a point and shoot is make sure there is no shutter delay.
          Don't all point and shoots have shutter delay?

Comment

I bought an unused Canon T1i a month ago on KSL with an 18-55 MM kit lens and 75-30 MM long range lens for $300. Works like a charm even though the T1i/500D is 2-3 year old model. There's some solid deals for entry level DSLR's on KSL that I've found.

Comment

Curious if anyone has advice in a camera for a teenager. My daughter is taking a photography class at the high school and all students are required to have a DSLR camera that can be manually adjusted. I’ve been looking at new models and the cheapest seems to be around $300-$400. But I’m wondering about the used camera market as there seems to be a lot it there for decent prices but I’m such a novice that I have no idea how to tell the good from the bad.

I’m willing to spend some money but don’t want to drop too much given that she’ll have it at school so there’s always a risk of loss or theft. Maybe $300 is my limit for now. Unfortunately I have no photographers in the ward to ask so I’m turning to CS.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Sorry you live in a poor neighborhood with high schools that don't have budget to by a couple sets of DSLRs.

(Craigslist is your friend.)
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                  Sorry you live in a poor neighborhood with high schools that don't have budget to by a couple sets of DSLRs.

(Craigslist is your friend.)
                  MJ actually found a bunch on a FB thing similar to craiglist. That's why I'm asking since there are a ton for sale but most are somewhat over my desired limit. It seems most are Canon or Nikon so I'm fine sticking to one of those brands. Is there a bottom tier Rebel that would work?

I guess my school district blew their budget on laptops and didn'nt leave money for cameras. Each kid gets a laptop from 6th through 12th grade. It's made life at home much easier as no one fights over the home computers to get homework done.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    Each kid gets a laptop from 6th through 12th grade. It's made life at home much easier as no one fights over the home computers to get homework done.
                    Chromebooks?

Comment

I'd probably have my kid ask the teacher which of the options are acceptable. Chances are the teacher knows which cameras have the adjustments required. Or in a pinch, you could copy down a handful of model numbers for cameras that are at the right price point and ask the teacher which would work and which won't.

I have a Nikon and like it. But I know a lot of folks love their Cannons too. I don't think you can go wrong with either - obviously the options of each depending on the the model might drive a purchase decision.

Comment

A used Canon Rebel kit should sell for under $200.
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          A used Canon Rebel kit should sell for under $200.
                          https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_digital.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_digital.html

Lots of people liked the t2i when it came out, but bodies age quickly (similar lifespan to other portable electronics). The t4i is dated now also, but it includes the flippy touch screen which makes some things easier for beginners.

Many local shops carry used gear. Some with national shipping options:

keh.com
                          bhphotovideo.com
                          adorama.com

costco often carries new kits, as do the other retailers:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_t7_dslr.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_t6_dslr.html

Any of the DSLR's will have all of the settings required by the class.

In the bottom range, it's often a better value to just buy the lowest kit which often runs around $400.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            MJ actually found a bunch on a FB thing similar to craiglist. That's why I'm asking since there are a ton for sale but most are somewhat over my desired limit. It seems most are Canon or Nikon so I'm fine sticking to one of those brands. Is there a bottom tier Rebel that would work?

I guess my school district blew their budget on laptops and didn'nt leave money for cameras. Each kid gets a laptop from 6th through 12th grade. It's made life at home much easier as no one fights over the home computers to get homework done.
                            Haha, moli takes the bait and feels the need to prove that he obviously lives in a very affluent neighborhood.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Haha, moli takes the bait and feels the need to prove that he obviously lives in a very affluent neighborhood.
                              Every middle and high school student here gets an iPad. But that's obviously different than Texas. We love all students, regardless of income .
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                              X