No announcement yet.

I taught in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had everyone open their scriptures to the D&C Preface, to the testimony of the 12 witnesses. I asked everyone to check for William McLellan's name. If it was spelled "Wm", they had the 1981 versions. If it was spelled "William" they had the 2013 version. Some people were surprised that they had the updated scriptures, these were android users whose scriptures updated automatically without their knowledge. We discussed the various versions of the D&C, and I explained the general mashup of how the D&C got started, and how and why revisions were made.

Mindful that our lesson was on the restoration of the priesthood, I discussed the changes to the D&C regarding Section 13 that were unveiled last Friday. I received Moliere's info on references to the restoration of both the aaronic and the melchizadek priesthood in the Book of Commandments (none), so I shared some of it, along with speculation on why Jos Smith sometimes did not reveal or discuss some revelation, and why he shared others.

Also mentioned: How the Joseph Smith Papers project is slowly replacing the History of the Church, and why our scriptures are not linking to the HC any more. How the Church is introducing more transparency with the latest 2013 version, but also more transparency to old versions of scriptures, as they have posted photographs of every pages of every version of every book. All in all, it wasn't very spiritual, but still an important point in a wholistic view of a Church canon that is both open and influenced by the notion of personal and latter-day revelation.

I asked someone to read the first sentance of the 2013 version of the intro to Section 13, then I pointed to a class picture of John restoring the Aaronic priesthood and asked the class what was inaccurate about the picture as of last Friday. I also covered the new intro to OD-2, which also concerned the restoration of the priesthood to every worthy male. I also passed around, and posted in our ward library, instructions on how to update digi-scriptures to the 2013 version.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Can you guys post your outlines ahead of time each week (if you make them)? or do you have any recommendations of websites with similar ahead of time outlines? I've tried Jared Anderson's podcasts, but they're a bit long--I'd much have something in print to look at.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

As a recently called EQ instructor I've taken a simple approach to my lessons. It consists of picking a random paragraph out of the lesson manual, asking for a volunteer to read and then asking the class what they thought about what we just read. Then I tell a mission story. I do this until time runs out.

EDIT: Please feel free to use this approach in your lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          Can you guys post your outlines ahead of time each week (if you make them)? or do you have any recommendations of websites with similar ahead of time outlines? I've tried Jared Anderson's podcasts, but they're a bit long--I'd much have something in print to look at.
          When I am teaching or actually look ahead at the lesson (rarely) I like to use ldsgospeldoctrine.net as a launching point. They have about 10-12 different lessons posted for each week. Some of them are pretty well done. The Feast Upon the Word blog is a good starting point for a couple of outlines and commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            I'll do what I can. Often I don't make the actual outline until the night before.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              I love Ted Gibbons, and Monte whatshisname when his summaries show up (They're rare).

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                I love Ted Gibbons, and Monte whatshisname when his summaries show up (They're rare).
                Ted Gibbons was my seminary teacher growing up. I like to look at his insights as well.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  As a recently called EQ instructor I've taken a simple approach to my lessons. It consists of picking a random paragraph out of the lesson manual, asking for a volunteer to read and then asking the class what they thought about what we just read. Then I tell a mission story. I do this until time runs out.

You seem to think of everything. Thanks!
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

I taught yesterday. I began by discussing the new scriptures. Among other things, I read and briefly discussed the augmented intro to OD2. After the class one of the class members marched up to me and said how grateful he was I did that for several reasons that I wont bore everyone with here. It was a good experience.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Something else you can do is make lists on the chalkboard. Like for example, if the topic is on faith, you could ask for ways we can strengthen our faith, and write each one on the chalkboard like a bullet point list.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        I taught yesterday. I began by discussing the new scriptures. Among other things, I read and briefly discussed the augmented intro to OD2. After the class one of the class members marched up to me and said how grateful he was I did that for several reasons that I wont bore everyone with here. It was a good experience.
                        I wish I would have had more time to go into that. I did highlight that there were new introductions that were pretty important, and specifically used them as a test to see if they had the new or old version. But any more would have been pushing it - as it was, we used half the time on the new scriptures.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Our lesson was pretty much word for word out of the lesson manual. That is typical for every week. I usually just follow the lesson outline and respond to the questions with the direct answers from the manual (wording changed slightly). I think my GD teacher thinks I'm some kind of spiritual genius.

Actually, my class is so boring I'm going to visit the class held in the foyer next week...as long as I can out wait MJ.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                            Something else you can do is make lists on the chalkboard. Like for example, if the topic is on faith, you could ask for ways we can strengthen our faith, and write each one on the chalkboard like a bullet point list.
                            Thanks for these ideas, guys. I feel like my EQ lessons are going to take a huge step up as I start implementing this. Maybe I'll mix them together and write lists of mission stories.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              Thanks for these ideas, guys. I feel like my EQ lessons are going to take a huge step up as I start implementing this. Maybe I'll mix them together and write lists of mission stories.
                              You can also try sitting everyone in a circle and telling the quorum that you 'like to do things a little differently.' Then remind them that you need everyone's help to make class work so people should feel free to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Sounds like a good experience. I won't be bored if you tell me all of the reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X