Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    trials =/= temptations
    Is there somewhere in the scriptures that more accurately fits what he is trying to say? If so, please share. TIA.

Comment

trials =/= temptations
      I agree. So my question is this....is this another of of those Mormonism urban legends?

Comment

trials =/= temptations
        Also, trails =\= trials. You're slipping on your game if you missed that.

Comment

• Does this help?

image.jpg
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            I am teaching a lesson today about dealing with adversity.

What is the genesis of the "we shall not be faced with any trail that we don't have the strength to overcome"?

I have been looking, but can find the reference. I feel dumb already.

Help me out.
            I should defer to Solon, AA and others, but I think the Greek word for temptation can also be translated as testing. In any case, the scriptural claim notwithstanding, I believe there can be physical, mental or emotional trials that may be too much for any mortal to bear. But I can make the statement somewhat more palatable by inserting "alone" at the end of the preceding sentence. In other words, with the love and support of those around us, life's trials/temptations become much easier (or least not impossible) to bear.

One of my favorite OT stories is the Israelite battle with the Amalekites. As long as Moses keeps his staff raised above his head, the Israelites kick Amalekite butt; if he lowers the staff, the Amalekites start winning. I like the comedic potential of raising and lowering the staff just to see the effect, however fatal for some, on the battle below (Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!). But this is serious stuff, and Moses wants to do everything he can to help his army prevail. As the day proceeds, he becomes incredibly tired and can't hold the staff aloft any more. But others around him (Aaron and Hur(?)) bring a rock for Moses to sit on and brace Moses and his up-stretched arms. Eventually, the Israelite army prevails.

Yes, I know it's a bit facile, but I see a lot of parallels in my life to that story. A group looking up to its leader for inspiration and support. A leader trying to do everything he can to help those looking up to him. A person about to give up when, unsolicited, people rush to his aid to hold him up. There may be some trials that are just too tough to bear, but at least thus far, the trials in my life have been surmountable because those I look up to, or those around me, have helped me endure. We're under orders to help those around us deal with problems that might well be too much for a person to bear alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              Does this help?

[ATTACH]3768[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                I should defer to Solon, AA and others, but I think the Greek word for temptation can also be translated as testing. In any case, the scriptural claim notwithstanding, I believe there can be physical, mental or emotional trials that may be too much for any mortal to bear. But I can make the statement somewhat more palatable by inserting "alone" at the end of the preceding sentence. In other words, with the love and support of those around us, life's trials/temptations become much easier (or least not impossible) to bear.

One of my favorite OT stories is the Israelite battle with the Amalekites. As long as Moses keeps his staff raised above his head, the Israelites kick Amalekite butt; if he lowers the staff, the Amalekites start winning. I like the comedic potential of raising and lowering the staff just to see the effect, however fatal for some, on the battle below (Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!). But this is serious stuff, and Moses wants to do everything he can to help his army prevail. As the day proceeds, he becomes incredibly tired and can't hold the staff aloft any more. But others around him (Aaron and Hur(?)) bring a rock for Moses to sit on and brace Moses and his up-stretched arms. Eventually, the Israelite army prevails.

Yes, I know it's a bit facile, but I see a lot of parallels in my life to that story. A group looking up to its leader for inspiration and support. A leader trying to do everything he can to help those looking up to him. A person about to give up when, unsolicited, people rush to his aid to hold him up. There may be some trials that are just too tough to bear, but at least thus far, the trials in my life have been surmountable because those I look up to, or those around me, have helped me endure. We're under orders to help those around us deal with problems that might well be too much for a person to bear alone.
                It kind of reminds me of rifle drills...

There will come many trials where we cannot overcome on our own. We rely on the strength and support of those around us. We're given weaknesses that we might be humble, and rely on the Lord.

Comment

• Is the_tick conflating doctrine on accident? I don't recall any teaching to the effect that he describes.

ive definitely heard the aforementioned references to not being tempted beyond that which we can bear.

and the d&c obviously extols the benefits of trials, that all things will be for our experience and good.

Seems like we may be conflating both of these sentiments here.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

I presume the saying comes from 1 Corinthians 10:13-- 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

The Greek word for temptation in that verse is πειρασμός (peirasmos)-- which means "trial." "Test" is pretty good, too; the dictionary I have handy says that the verb form of the word can mean "to put someone to the test." It's especially cool when you know that the word is the source of the word "pirate."

The word that doesn't get enough attention, in my opinion, is εκβασις (ekbasis)-- the "way out." The word also has nautical connotations, as it is often used in the specific context of a way out of the sea-- either a landing place for a ship, or the means of disembarkation.

I get the image in my mind of a ship tossed about in the sea on a stormy night, danger all about him, making its way to the light on the shore, until at long last, it reaches safe harbor.

If I were very, very loosely translating the verse to express what I think the words mean, I would say that the tests we will face are just part of life on earth-- but we can trust God to see us through to safety.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

1. Brightly beams our Father’s mercy,
                        From His lighthouse evermore,
                        But to us He gives the keeping
                        Of the lights along the shore.
                        • Refrain:
                          Let the lower lights be burning!
                          Send a gleam across the wave!
                          Some poor *struggling, fainting seaman
                          You may rescue, you may save.

2. Dark the night of sin has settled,
                        Loud the angry billows roar;
                        Eager eyes are watching, longing,
                        For the lights along the shore.
                      3. Trim your feeble lamp, my brother;
                        Some poor sailor, tempest-tossed,
                        Trying now to make the harbor,
                        In the darkness may be lost.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                        Also, trails =\= trials. You're slipping on your game if you missed that.
                        There's a Salt Lake strip club joke here but not sure how many would get the reference.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• I have to teach this week on the "No other Gods" talk from Elder Oaks from GC. It mostly is an indictment of the socital pressure to accept gay marriage. Yeah, I'm not going to address that if I can help it.
                          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                            I have to teach this week on the "No other Gods" talk from Elder Oaks from GC. It mostly is an indictment of the socital pressure to accept gay marriage. Yeah, I'm not going to address that if I can help it.
                            I was supposed to teach that a few weeks ago but third hour was cancelled because of a snowstorm. I was just going to focus on idol worship from straight out of the Old Testament. None of this nonsense about modern-day idols or gods. Ra and his ilk were going to catch hell from me that day.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              I was supposed to teach that a few weeks ago but third hour was cancelled because of a snowstorm. I was just going to focus on idol worship from straight out of the Old Testament. None of this nonsense about modern-day idols or gods. Ra and his ilk were going to catch hell from me that day.
                              Yeah, my plan is to focus more on the relationship we have with God...and why he is a jealous god etc. I had a high priest take me to task last year when I tried to suggest God had actual human feelings and emotions. I think jealousy counts no?
                              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                                Yeah, my plan is to focus more on the relationship we have with God...and why he is a jealous god etc. I had a high priest take me to task last year when I tried to suggest God had actual human feelings and emotions. I think jealousy counts no?
                                You should have asked him if he's ever read the PoGP since Moses 7 says:

29 And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X