Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    WHy?
    Too many of the lessons I've attended in my life have been "let's just open it up for crazy comments" hour.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
      Also, at least one of the counselors in our bishopric feels like he has to summarize all the talks at the end of Sacrament meeting. It really deflates the spirit that was in the room from the talks.
      Agreed!

"And I want to thank brother smith for sharing his wonderful testimony on the power of prayer and how it changed his life when he was in the military sevice, which helped him decide to be active again, and serve a mission to brazil where he...."

We just sat thru the whole meeting we don't need a recap before we leave. Very annoying.
      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
        [RANT MODE ON]
        Because one might be in a ward building that never gets the latest equipment; all that good stuff goes to the stake center. So I'm requested to go to GD class ASAP by the significant other to reserve "good seats" while she makes the rounds to get all the latest ward gossip. Since I'm one of the first ones to enter into the classroom, a panicked GD teacher enlists my help to get the arcane equipment working. So I set up the circa 1950 white screen that seems identical to the one my parents used to show family vacation slides. Once that is set up, I'm handed a sheet of paper containing a Wilford Woodruff quote that I'm asked to read as it is a "key part" of the lesson. I'm also asked to give the opening prayer. But "Houston we have another problem". There appears to be a problem with laptop and/or projector. I troubleshoot that and it's now working. However, it doesn't quite fit on the white screen so I'm back adjusting the screen. Get it adjusted just in time to give the opening prayer. After the prayer, I go back to my "saved" seats but someone has moved my scriptures and suit jacket onto the floor (WTF!) and my seats are taken. So after claiming my suit jacket and scriptures, I'm headed back to the far corner of the room to sit when in walks the significant other. "I thought you were going to get us good seats!" She decides to skip and invites me to join her. But wait, I've got an important Wilford Woodruff quote to read - one that's vital to the lesson! I can't skip. The lesson is about missionary work. Time is turned over to the WML whose appearence resembles The Big Lebowski (not the Dude - the other Lebowski in the wheelchair) and he goes on-and-on about how we need to support the new sister missionaries. I swear I heard the guy say "Their lives are in your hands" more than once. By the time he's done, I can tell this GD lesson is shot and the instructor is somewhat flustered. She reiterates the importance of missionary work and asks me to read the important WW quote. It's a rant about him having to walk hundreds of miles across southern swamps - not sure what that has to do with missionaries in present day Texas. But she wants to get to the video that I worked so furiously to get working correctly. But wait! An elderly couple that recently returned from serving a mission in Tennessee has connected the dots between their mission and WW who proceeded them by 180 years. Evidently, things have not changed that much in Tennessee. It seems the swamps have been drained and cars have been invented but still very few members. Now there's less than 10 minutes left. I'm hoping in vain for the video. Not-gonna-happen. Some apparently random scriptures are read from the D&C and, finally, closing prayer.

And that's what happens when you $%&^ a stranger in the @#&. Or that's why videos shouldn't be used. Ever.
        [RANT MODE OFF]
        LOL. This is why I just start off with the video playing (Johnny Lingo, the YM's favorite) on my iPad.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Too many of the lessons I've attended in my life have been "let's just open it up for crazy comments" hour.
          So if you mean that unfocused and poorly controlled class participation is overrated I would agree completely.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Yeah, that was good and exemplifies the reason I'm never on time for GD.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Interesting take on comments being overrated.

When I teach smallish groups, I try to get everyone to make a comment. This ties them in, and often great thoughts are shared. Even the less educated members sharing odd ball remarks feel edified because of their participation. As a teacher my first and foremost goal is to have the members feel the Spirit. The most likely chance the average member is going to feel The Spirit is when they share the feelings of their heart. When the class is over no one remembers what was said more than what they felt.

Are you a selfish teacher or a selfless teacher?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                Interesting take on comments being overrated.

When I teach smallish groups, I try to get everyone to make a comment. This ties them in, and often great thoughts are shared. Even the less educated members sharing odd ball remarks feel edified because of their participation. As a teacher my first and foremost goal is to have the members feel the Spirit. The most likely chance the average member is going to feel The Spirit is when they share the feelings of their heart. When the class is over no one remembers what was said more than what they felt.

Are you a selfish teacher or a selfless teacher?
                Definitely selfish.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  Definitely selfish.
                  Same here.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    LOL. This is why I just start off with the video playing (Johnny Lingo, the YM's favorite) on my iPad.
                    I'm going to have to revisit Johnny Lingo. During my seminary days, I was denied the experience of watching those fabulous videos. Probably because my ward building had yet to receive the "modern technology" of a filmstrip projector. So my indoctrination to Johnny Lingo waited until my first companion in the mission field. This Elder from Nampa, Idaho was as a legend. He had managed to procure his own personal filmstrip projector along with the entire Johnny Lingo library. So I was able to fill in those significant gaps in my Mormon education.

In my mission, a new missionary had to memorize all the standard discussions along with a bunch of scriptures and pass them off to his trainer before he was allowed to teach. The MP made a big deal about it and new missionary and trainer had to fill out weekly progress reports. I passed everthing off in my first week, so for companionship study we would watch Johnny Lingo after practicing a discussion. In the spirit of memorizing discussions and scriptures, I decideed to memorize lines from scenes from some of the Johnny Lingo scripts. Before long, we developed a script for our own Johnny Lingo discussion.

"Three cows is many, but not enough for Mahana. I will pay eight cows."
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      So if you mean that unfocused and poorly controlled class participation is overrated I would agree completely.
                      I'm sure most teachers believe their class participation is controlled and focused.

Comment

• My invite to teach came via e-mail while I was on a little outing at a local lake. I responded the next day (Monday). Last night I pinged the HPG leader with another question and he said that since I didn't immediately respond, he asked someone else (uhh... thanks for letting me know). So I am off the hook. Thanks for all the suggestions anyway. I enjoyed the discussion.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          I'm sure most teachers believe their class participation is controlled and focused.
                          And most people would allow that some of them are correct in that conclusion
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

My invite to teach came via e-mail while I was on a little outing at a local lake. I responded the next day (Monday). Last night I pinged the HPG leader with another question and he said that since I didn't immediately respond, he asked someone else (uhh... thanks for letting me know). So I am off the hook. Thanks for all the suggestions anyway. I enjoyed the discussion.
                            This actually now gives you freedom to stir things up and provide some of the type of discussion santos hates.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                              I'm going to have to revisit Johnny Lingo. During my seminary days, I was denied the experience of watching those fabulous videos. Probably because my ward building had yet to receive the "modern technology" of a filmstrip projector. So my indoctrination to Johnny Lingo waited until my first companion in the mission field. This Elder from Nampa, Idaho was as a legend. He had managed to procure his own personal filmstrip projector along with the entire Johnny Lingo library. So I was able to fill in those significant gaps in my Mormon education.

In my mission, a new missionary had to memorize all the standard discussions along with a bunch of scriptures and pass them off to his trainer before he was allowed to teach. The MP made a big deal about it and new missionary and trainer had to fill out weekly progress reports. I passed everthing off in my first week, so for companionship study we would watch Johnny Lingo after practicing a discussion. In the spirit of memorizing discussions and scriptures, I decideed to memorize lines from scenes from some of the Johnny Lingo scripts. Before long, we developed a script for our own Johnny Lingo discussion.

"Three cows is many, but not enough for Mahana. I will pay eight cows."
                              Makee Blaisdell also made a few appearances on Star Trek (the Original), which should be noted to make sure your Johnny Lingo education is complete...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

My invite to teach came via e-mail while I was on a little outing at a local lake. I responded the next day (Monday). Last night I pinged the HPG leader with another question and he said that since I didn't immediately respond, he asked someone else (uhh... thanks for letting me know). So I am off the hook. Thanks for all the suggestions anyway. I enjoyed the discussion.
                                I love how people expect immediate responses to email.
                                Not that, sickos.

Comment

Working...
                                X