Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: I taught in church today

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Thanks, I hadnt thought of this angle before. I do talk a lot about the Exile, but only to the extent that it provides us with third party confirmation of historicity of the scriptures during this period.

I taught Esther today, and I introduced one thing that I thought might be controversial but came at the tail end of the lesson so nobody much cared: We all know that Esther faced physical danger from going into her husband Xerxes unrequested; he might not stay his guards and she could be killed on the spot. I also suggested that she may have faced spiritual danger as well; as long as she was forced into his harem, she was free from the stain of impurity, especially if you believe the version of her story that Mordecai was her husband as well as her cousin. But once she voluntarily went into the King's chambers, no matter how good her intentions, her actions could subject her to condemnation as an adulteress.
    Esther is among my favorite books of the Old Testament - especially the first chapter.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I'm assigned to teach a combined priesthood lesson on Elder Robbins' conference talk, Which Way do You Face. I think I'll begin with a rebuke of everyone who has ever disagreed with their leaders and then spend the rest of the time hammering on the need for blind obedience. That is, after all, what the church wants from its members, so there's no point in beating around the bush.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I'm assigned to teach a combined priesthood lesson on Elder Robbins' conference talk, Which Way do You Face. I think I'll begin with a rebuke of everyone who has ever disagreed with their leaders and then spend the rest of the time hammering on the need for blind obedience. That is, after all, what the church wants from its members, so there's no point in beating around the bush.
    shock everyone and make it a discussion of various sexual positions to be reserved for after marriage
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    shock everyone and make it a discussion of various sexual positions to be reserved for after marriage
    Trick question, all of them.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Isnt that all of them?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Had this discussion with my dad last week. He told me every single thing ever said over the pulpit in General Conference is the direct will of God.

Not much room for discussion once that's on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by SandYFan View Post
    Had this discussion with my dad last week. He told me every single thing ever said over the pulpit in General Conference is the direct will of God.

Not much room for discussion once that's on the table.
    Even when the women speak?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Even when the women speak?
    There was no exact differentiation made, but I'm not going back for more. More fun bashing my head against a brick wall.