I taught in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Sun City is part of Summerlin. In fact, its called Sun City Summerlin.

My understanding is that the Hillpointe chapel and the Alta/Town Center chapel are the only two that are actually within Summerlin. The rest that are close are just outside the boundaries. When I lived in south Summerlin, where there are no chapels, my bishop told me that they were trying to buy land within Summerlin for a new chapel but Summerlin refused. They wanted more diversity among the churches, which I suppose is nice, but when 25% or more of your community is LDS, you might want to think about allowing them another building or two.
    No way this is a legit stat. In my development of ~60 homes, only three are LDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
      No way this is a legit stat. In my development of ~60 homes, only three are LDS.

LDS among rifraff is a lower percentage.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Topper is right. Once you start getting into the nicer neighborhoods, the LDS population goes up quickly.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Gospel Principles today became a ward mission council meeting. I ended up with about 90 seconds for my lesson on the creation. I killed it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Gospel Principles today became a ward mission council meeting. I ended up with about 90 seconds for my lesson on the creation. I killed it.

What a waste of a fantastic lesson. I’m teaching the eight year olds this year. I’ll tell you what, I’d bet money that those kids never had a creation lesson like the one they got Week 2.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

What a waste of a fantastic lesson. I’m teaching the eight year olds this year. I’ll tell you what, I’d bet money that those kids never had a creation lesson like the one they got Week 2.

No kidding. I had at least another 30-40 seconds of strong material prepared.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                No kidding. I had at least another 30-40 seconds of strong material prepared.

We'd like to welcome Brother So and So who is no longer a Ute fan.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• So, I have a question.

I was asked to teach in Priesthood tomorrow, and told that the topic for the fourth Sunday was "The Sabbath". I was happy to accept, and given that it is now 10:24 Saturday night, I thought I could start looking through some stuff, while still keeping an eye on the basketball game.

Let me remind everyone that I went about four years without attending Priesthood due to another calling. This year, due to conflicts involving Teacher Correlation meetings, football games, etc., I have not attended either of the previous fourth Sunday Priesthood lessons. So I was looking at the resources on LDS.org, and read this:

On the fourth Sunday of each month, quorums, groups, and Relief Societies discuss a topic selected by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. These topics will be updated with every general conference. The topic until the next general conference will be the Sabbath day. Leaders or teachers may choose from the doctrines and learning activities suggested below, combine several of them, or create their own according to the needs of members.
                  Am I reading this right? The previous two fourth Sunday lessons have also been on the Sabbath?? So basically, anyone who has had anything to say about the Sabbath has said it, and they are all bored by the topic at this point. Also, given that I had unavoidable conflicts and have not attended the other two lessons, I have no idea what has been said, what scriptures have been read, what talks may have been discussed, etc. I assume the answer to that is "All the obvious ones"

I am pretty excited about this lesson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                    So, I have a question.

I was asked to teach in Priesthood tomorrow, and told that the topic for the fourth Sunday was "The Sabbath". I was happy to accept, and given that it is now 10:24 Saturday night, I thought I could start looking through some stuff, while still keeping an eye on the basketball game.

Let me remind everyone that I went about four years without attending Priesthood due to another calling. This year, due to conflicts involving Teacher Correlation meetings, football games, etc., I have not attended either of the previous fourth Sunday Priesthood lessons. So I was looking at the resources on LDS.org, and read this:

Am I reading this right? The previous two fourth Sunday lessons have also been on the Sabbath?? So basically, anyone who has had anything to say about the Sabbath has said it, and they are all bored by the topic at this point. Also, given that I had unavoidable conflicts and have not attended the other two lessons, I have no idea what has been said, what scriptures have been read, what talks may have been discussed, etc. I assume the answer to that is "All the obvious ones"

I am pretty excited about this lesson.
                    Yes, you're reading it right, but if you asked any in the class what they talked about at the end of January or February I'd expect you'll get a lot of blank stares. It's likely that the number of talks and lessons concerning the Sabbath that those in attendance have heard in their lifetimes is 100+, so as soon as you announce your topic I'm sure you'll have them in your thrall.

I'd let them teach the lesson, beginning with them thinking about their idea of a really good Sunday that they remember, and have them explain what made it so good, encouraging stories that may not be fully in line with the usual standard. If possible, and it won't always be, show how thinking outside the proverbial box sometimes produces a more spiritually edifying day than the usual Sabbath Day checklist. I'm sure you'll be able to reel it in eventually with some mildly uplifting conclusion. Good luck!

Comment

• Yes, you are correct. Tomorrow will be my third lesson in three months on the Sabbath. Last Sunday I tried to let people know as many times as possible that my family doesn’t watch tv on Sunday. One of the times, it started a one-upper contest on who keeps the Sabbath the best. I’m thinking that tomorrow I’ll go in the opposite direction and let them know that my kids are allowed to play basketball in the front yard and see if I can get anyone to admit they eat out on Sunday.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• OK, thanks for the confirmation. Luckily, this is High Priests, so their memory is not great on the best of days. I figure my best bet is to go right up to the board and write "DO" on the top of one side and "DON'T" on the top of the other and just let things roll from there.

Comment

OK, thanks for the confirmation. Luckily, this is High Priests, so their memory is not great on the best of days. I figure my best bet is to go right up to the board and write "DO" on the top of one side and "DON'T" on the top of the other and just let things roll from there.
                          Yes, do that. Also, read the scripture about making the sabbath a delight. I bet it’s been at least one month since they last read it.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Yes, you are correct. Tomorrow will be my third lesson in three months on the Sabbath. Last Sunday I tried to let people know as many times as possible that my family doesn’t watch tv on Sunday. One of the times, it started a one-upper contest on who keeps the Sabbath the best. I’m thinking that tomorrow I’ll go in the opposite direction and let them know that my kids are allowed to play basketball in the front yard and see if I can get anyone to admit they eat out on Sunday.

I like this. Make it a competition to see who is the worst at keeping the Sabbath.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Yes, you are correct. Tomorrow will be my third lesson in three months on the Sabbath. Last Sunday I tried to let people know as many times as possible that my family doesn’t watch tv on Sunday. One of the times, it started a one-upper contest on who keeps the Sabbath the best. I’m thinking that tomorrow I’ll go in the opposite direction and let them know that my kids are allowed to play basketball in the front yard and see if I can get anyone to admit they eat out on Sunday.

Makes me appreciate my "inactive" year even that much more.
                              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Lately I seem to attend some other ward about 1/3 of the time - visiting grandchildren, other travel, etc. I'll quite often get the same Sunday School lesson two weeks in a row - or three weeks later in the case of the one we had here last week. I find it interesting how different the lessons are presented in different wards. I've always gotten at least as much useful information the second time around as the first time attending a particular lesson.

With what has been suggested so far, your version of teaching this topic could be the best one so far for those who have attended all of them. Let us know how it went afterward.

Comment

Working...
                                X